Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not sure about that at all.I think that if we all could buy guns at the bodega and everyone in NYC carried a gun around all day(increased the gun supply),homicides and other crimes would increase dramatically.If you successfully banned the manufacture,sale and posession of guns and totally eliminated the gun supply, homicides and other crimes would drop dramatically.So you can make a pretty good argument that it is the guns that are the bigger problem.I've never committed a real crime in my life but if I had a gun with me all day I might be tempted to use it,even if just to get someone to give me their seat on the subway or to get to the front of the line at the ATM machine.Post offices would become the most dangerous places in the city
Bluedog, I would trust you with a gun. I don't think you're as trigger happy as you say you are. I don't think people are saying that guns should ever be handed out, willy-nilly, but people should be carefully screened beforehand.

With today's economic troubles and so many people hurting, perhaps now would not be the time to lessen the gun laws. Emotions and tensions run high when you are out of work. People have a problem thinking straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Bluedog, I would trust you with a gun. I don't think you're as trigger happy as you say you are. I don't think people are saying that guns should ever be handed out, willy-nilly, but people should be carefully screened beforehand.

With today's economic troubles and so many people hurting, perhaps now would not be the time to lessen the gun laws. Emotions and tensions run high when you are out of work. People have a problem thinking straight.

BlueDog's argument is nonsensical unless you posit that most people are suicidal.

If most carry a gun then mutually assured destruction plays a key role.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
My husband was mugged three times in NYC. Middle class guy, kinda average looking but an 'idea' person, probably does not walk the streets trying to look tough. The last time was a few years ago. He got disgusted and slugged the guy who was holding him up. Got back all his money. The perp was bleeding and ran.

The police, this last time, were just great. There has been a big, big change in the police for the better. They caught the guy. Oh, they asked my husband if he were the 'Silver Avenger'. Evidently there is an old guy(or a younger one in disguise) who is wandering around NYC with a lot of martial arts experience. He makes himself a target and attacks crooks. I just love New York!
Good for him. Now if he'd have shot that guy he'd have been in quite a bit of trouble (more chance than not). Knowing how and when to use deadly force is something that even the police don't get right all the time, and they're highly trained professionals (in theory). Suffice to say I don't trust the vast majority of people's judgment in the matter, and am quite in favor of not allowing people to pack weapons with them everywhere they go, just because they want to. If they are, the screening process should be rigorous and very exclusive. Carrying a weapon in out in public is a far greater responsibility than keeping one in your house or behind the counter at your business.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
maybe so but ill bet an armed society is a polite society ha ha ha

Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Yep,

More weapons are JUST what we need in hot crowded subways where people's nerves are frayed after a day working for some lunatic boss at sub-human wages.
Yep, just what we need when a gang of kids start making remarks about someones hot innamorata...more hidden guns.

Jersey City mayor was unhappy with the prospect of tightened rules on handgun possession allowing no more than one handgun to be purchased per month. How can you build an arsenal with only 12 a year...Jeez.

On the other hand, maybe helping nature control the population isn't the dumbest idea.

"You lookin' at ME?"

Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
How about banning cars? Knives? Bats? Drunk people use those to injure others as well.
Yes, so lets just add guns to the hands of irrational people while we're at it. If we legalize this in NYC, every little confrontation small or large will result in gunfire with everyone claiming self defense and/or saying they felt as if their life was in danger.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 PM

gee all i know is we have zero issues in our area in pa where almost everyone can have a ccw just for applying. these arent the brightest lights in the draw there either in pennsyl-tucky.

its hard to say what would happen here though in nyc if many many ccw permits were issued and ill tell you why i think that..the fact that so few ccw permits are issued is what makes things work well for those who do carry.dont forget up until we went to a residence type permit here in the city the old target hunting permit was a restricted carry permit in the state law and many many many of those permit holders carryed because it wasnt a crime if you got caught. it was an adminstrative violation.the guy sitting next to you on the train was probley armed and you never knew it . 35,000 new yorkers could have been carrying and no one here even would have known.

here in new york city the bad guys dont think in terms of the good guys being armed because odds are most are not.

an armed civilian with some training stands an excellent chance of getting the drop on the bad guys even when confronted with weapons by them because as we learned in combat training reaction time is way slower than action time.

a trained civilian drawing a weapon will totally catch bad guys off guard most of the time giving a confronted good guy the edge.

but if the bad guys thought the good guys had weapons too they would go about disarming them first or shooting first and robbing later.

bad guys watch you,you dont watch them . they can easily get the drop on you and stop you from having the element of surprise if they thought you were armed.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-21-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Isn't it a fact that every adult Swiss (just males, perhaps?) must have a gun and know how to use it? I never hear anything about the Swiss crime problem that you evidently believe in.
One of my old professors, who is Swiss, was telling me about this the other day. All men in Switzerland are required to be in their Army Reserve (I'm sure they have a different name for it) for x amount of years. Each of them have a gun kept at home and must be ready to mobilize if and when the country goes to war. When their duty is finished, the gun goes to the military. It's not a personal handgun given to each man to walk the streets with.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 PM

they can choose to keep their guns after service . the only stipulation is if it is an automatic weapon it must go back to the factory and be converted to semi-auto. ccw permits are pretty easy to get .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-21-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yep,

More weapons are JUST what we need in hot crowded subways where people's nerves are frayed after a day working for some lunatic boss at sub-human wages.
Yep, just what we need when a gang of kids start making remarks about someones hot innamorata...more hidden guns.

Jersey City mayor was unhappy with the prospect of tightened rules on handgun possession allowing no more than one handgun to be purchased per month. How can you build an arsenal with only 12 a year...Jeez.

On the other hand, maybe helping nature control the population isn't the dumbest idea.

"You lookin' at ME?"
new york city has the same restriction of 1 gun a month but the way it works out if you can get 4 in a year your doing great..
you also cant get approved for more than 4 or 5 without proof of installing safes.

it takes 6-8 weeks from time of request to approval . you actually have to take 2 days off from work to complete the process each time. day 1 you have to go to police plaza , wait hours to get the purchase order.

day 2 you have to go back to police plaza wait hours and get it registered and added to your permit. that alone keeps many from buying a few. nothing beats spending your vacation days at police plaza.

your next request has to be 30 days after your last approval . its a very slow process even aquiring what you want .

its no different than fishing poles where everything you want to do requires something different.

whats good for self defense is no good for hunting which is not good for competitive target shooting ,etc. for someone into the sport 5 is nothing. a competitive shooter may have 3 or 4 just for target shooting of various types.

when i was into it i could easily have a wish list of a dozen.

to those not familiar with the shooting sports its like asking a woman why she needs so many shoes or pocket books.,or an angler why he needs so many rods and reels.

even for self defense what you carry is determined by what you wear many times. a 5 shot snubby works well in short pants in the summer but its not the best choice in winter when you can carry something that can actually be aimed and none of the above are acceptable if you hunt..

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-22-2011 at 04:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City