U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 AM

19 posts, read 114,513 times

Advertisements

I live in Albany NY and received my section 8 voucher (due to disability) several months ago after waiting a couple of years. I would like to return to my hometown of Brooklyn soon but I have to remain for a year where I am. The prices in the Albany area for apts are far cheaper than in Brooklyn. Since Section 8 is paying most of my rent (my total rent is $750 and section 8 pays most of it) would they pay most of rent if I ported to Brooklyn and found an a 1 bedroom for say $1200? Does anyone know if Albany would absorb the rent or would nyc have to pay it?? Would I end up having to pay a larger portion of the rent?

The fair market rate for a 1 bedroom where I am is $697 and the Voucher Payment standard is $767..... I have no clue what that means, can anyone explain that? Rude answers will not be replies to,thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 AM

8,476 posts, read 20,313,434 times
Section 8 Assistance - New York City Housing Authority

Section 8 is not being honored in NYC right now except for NYC section 8 voucher holders who are ALREADY IN an apartment in NYC.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM

221 posts, read 325,687 times
Have you talked to your case worker abt your desire to port to Brooklyn? The destination where you are now is probably the one that will pay, by its standard, the voucher portion of your rent, unfortunately, so I'd guess that, yes, you'd have to pay the difference. Please be careful abt asking for advice on this Forum abt Section 8. Another commentor claims to be from the NYC Housing Authority. I wouldn't believe it. People on this forum, in my experience, are very cruel to people on Section 8. I'm a Section 8 recipient in Hawaii, and I want to port to Westchester Co. NY to be near family. Fortunately for me, the voucher portion here is high, so I don't have your concern. My concern is if I will be absorbed. A year ago someone else did exactly what I want to do, and that person was absorbed by Westchester Co., so go to the source. Don't rely on the morons on this Forum who delight in self-pity and bitterness and bashing others, not knowing anything abt his/her situation in life.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,493 times
Hell that was nice of you to give her the information she is looking for, because some people are not nice when it comes down to sec8, in nyc. They dont know what half of the people go through to end up needing help from the government.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM

954 posts, read 2,793,165 times
Ok, there are 2 types of Section 8.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]One type is tenant-based Section 8 vouchers where you can take it to any private landlord within their jurisdiction who’d accept it and they’d be reimbursed by HUD the difference between what you pay(30% of your income or so) and the fair market value. Fair Market Value is inaccurate, they are lower than the true Market Values of a certain unit. Currently, NYCHA administers the vouchers in NYC and they are on a freeze, that is correct.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The other type is a project-based Section 8 assistance. Basically, it’s an entire apartment complex that receives monthly vouchers from HUD. If you want to move back to Brooklyn, your best bet is to go to one of these HUD project-based section 8 apartment complexes and get on their waiting lists. You can find the apartments listed on HUD.GOV. The better the complex and area, the longer the waiting list is(5 years isn’t unheard of). Some Section 8 projects aren’t much better than Housing Projects even though HUD has stringent inspection standards.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Good Luck.[/SIZE]

Old 11-08-2013, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,553 times
you can move to NY in fact your initial housing authority is to be billed by the housing g authority in which ever city you choose. NYC Sect8 will tell u they arent absorbing if so talk to 212 306 8702 regarding portability...if I were U I would move to NJ instead that way u have more for ur voucher/money. Im moving to Cali next NY is on some BS No Jobs unless one looks a certain way or knows someone depending on your line of work, good luck! If u dont believe me just google and read federal guidelines for portability aka transfering out of state...#ThankMeLater

Last edited by Sect8WizKid; 11-08-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,841 times
Default looking for section 8 apartment in white plains or greenburgh

hi im looking for a nice section 8 1 bedroom in white plains or greenburgh ny or any were in Westchester county. does any one know about any? relocating from va. or a good real estat office that deals with section 8 apts

Old 03-09-2014, 07:48 AM

2,328 posts, read 5,042,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denim2014 View Post
hi im looking for a nice section 8 1 bedroom in white plains or greenburgh ny or any were in Westchester county. does any one know about any? relocating from va. or a good real estat office that deals with section 8 apts
I honestly don't understand why someone relocating from Virginia or (anywhere) feels entitled to move to Westchester (or anywhere) because of Section 8 housing.

In the case of Westchester, which has a terrible housing shortage, my assumption is that there are thousands of residents already waiting to get into Section 8 apartments. Why should someone from out of town go the front of the list?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,647,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbugster View Post
Have you talked to your case worker abt your desire to port to Brooklyn? The destination where you are now is probably the one that will pay, by its standard, the voucher portion of your rent, unfortunately, so I'd guess that, yes, you'd have to pay the difference. Please be careful abt asking for advice on this Forum abt Section 8. Another commentor claims to be from the NYC Housing Authority. I wouldn't believe it. People on this forum, in my experience, are very cruel to people on Section 8. I'm a Section 8 recipient in Hawaii, and I want to port to Westchester Co. NY to be near family. Fortunately for me, the voucher portion here is high, so I don't have your concern. My concern is if I will be absorbed. A year ago someone else did exactly what I want to do, and that person was absorbed by Westchester Co., so go to the source. Don't rely on the morons on this Forum who delight in self-pity and bitterness and bashing others, not knowing anything abt his/her situation in life.

Hawaii to Westchester county--- and you wonder why people have a problem with this ? Hopefully anyone who is already in Westchester county will get a spot before you will be considered. Sounds like you have good taste though. There are lots of people who are paying market rate that would like to live in those places.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM

6,348 posts, read 5,824,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denim2014 View Post
Post this in the westchester forum. This is the nyc forum. Many here know know enough about westchester or care enough about westchester to provide answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or