Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,980,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I understand they might have historical similarities under the Spanish conquest. However, Puerto Ricans are more similar to Dominicans than they are to Cubans. They are more culturally similar. Their cuisine are similar. Puerto Ricans also have similar phenotypes to Dominicans. Cubans look totally different from Puerto Ricans.

I've read an old NYT articles about there being tons of Dominicans claiming Puerto Rican in NYC since there were a signinificant amount of Dominicans who smuggled into PR to in order to get into the US mainland.

I also believe that there are more children who share Dominican and Rican heritage than there are tho who do with Cuban and Puerto Rican.
Agreed. DR is like the middle ground and is more alike to both than they are to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,634,253 times
Supermario, thanks for posting that video. I would have thought that was from DR if I didn't read the description.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,980,616 times
Quote:
Supermario, thanks for posting that video. I would have thought that was from DR if I didn't read the description.
It is crazy..even the accent is Dominican.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM

961 posts, read 2,455,990 times
Quote:
Were there any tension between Puerto Ricans and Cubans?
Not here in NY, but in Florida yes especially South Florida where a large bulk of the Cubans are anti-castro Republicans. Often times they are at odds with other nationalities as well, especially due to their treatment from the government in immigration policy. But as far as the Cuban communities outside of S. FL, not really.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 PM

337 posts, read 965,389 times
Lots of Cubans in Union City and a few scattered in the Bronx. Most black Cubans are in NY and NJ. There are cuban clubs in Union City and West Ny in jersey. When I was in high school a lot of cubans use to hang around 181st in the heights. I don't know why they stopped congregating there.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM

578 posts, read 956,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Union City used to have a very large Cuban American community in the 1960's and 70's into the early 80's. It's mostly Central American, Dominican and Mexican now. What you see there, what is left of the Cuban-Americans, is the remnants of their once thriving business community, a restaurant here and there, a clothing store, etc..

As for Cubans in the rest of NYC, Cubans never lived in the Dominican and/or Puerto Rican communities. They lived in the Upper West side before it became Dominican. They've since moved out. As for the Puerto Rican community, most Puerto Ricans lived in the Bronx. There weren't too many Cubans in the Bronx. When Cubans first moved to NYC in the 1960's, they went directly to New Jersey, and Queens, some moved to Long Island. Jackson Heights had many Cubans, they've most out, it's mostly South American now.

NYC has a sizable population of well-to-do Cubans, but most are scattered around and submerged in the upscale neighborhoods of Manhattan.
Cubans have scattered and spread out to other areas in New Jersey. Union City, NJ has been hosting the Cuban Day Parade annually since the year 2000. Other Latino immigrants and groups have settled among Cubans and Cuban Americans in the area but there is still a heavy Cuban presence.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Union City used to have a very large Cuban American community in the 1960's and 70's into the early 80's. It's mostly Central American, Dominican and Mexican now. What you see there, what is left of the Cuban-Americans, is the remnants of their once thriving business community, a restaurant here and there, a clothing store, etc..

As for Cubans in the rest of NYC, Cubans never lived in the Dominican and/or Puerto Rican communities. They lived in the Upper West side before it became Dominican. They've since moved out. As for the Puerto Rican community, most Puerto Ricans lived in the Bronx. There weren't too many Cubans in the Bronx. When Cubans first moved to NYC in the 1960's, they went directly to New Jersey, and Queens, some moved to Long Island. Jackson Heights had many Cubans, they've most out, it's mostly South American now.

NYC has a sizable population of well-to-do Cubans, but most are scattered around and submerged in the upscale neighborhoods of Manhattan.
In the 1920s and 1930s, Cubans were perhaps the largest Hispanic immigrant and ethnic groups in NYC.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Amor Cubano is a good Cuban restataunt as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City