U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2010, 02:46 PM

312 posts, read 499,697 times

Advertisements

So if lets say I live in Queens, but work in a different state, like NJ for example, not only do I have to pay the NY tax, but also the 3% nyc tax in addition?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 PM

29,739 posts, read 26,463,503 times
you take as a credit what you pay to ny and nyc on your jersey taxes and pay any difference

Old 10-30-2010, 04:50 PM

that i understand, but do new york city residents get charged more tax? in NJ, you get taxed one rate and its simple, now all of a sudden I hear nyc and nys tax, its confusing.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 PM

10,798 posts, read 8,903,016 times
This link may help you:

How do I File a Nonresident State Tax Return? - TurboTax® Support

Old 10-31-2010, 02:28 PM

im talking as if i were a resident of new york city and worked out of state

Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM

10,798 posts, read 8,903,016 times
Click and read the entire link. If you live in NY and work in NJ (company is based in NJ, checks come from NJ) then you do a Federal, a NY/NYC and a NJ tax paperwork. If you work for a company that is based in NY and you are assigned to a NJ site, then your paycheck will say NY and the company takes care of the paperwork and thus a Federal and NY/NYC only. If you live in NYC, you pay NYC tax no matter where the funds come from.

Look at your paystub. Which state are they deducting for?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,631,356 times
You'll end up paying both state some money. Also don't trust your paystub 100%, talk to accounts payable or your HR and ask where they are paying for your income taxes.

Case in point, we live in NJ and my wife works in NYC. Her company is pretty incompetent and they were deducting full NY taxes (NYC and NY state) while withholding none for NJ...even though her address and she clearly indicated she is going to be paying NJ taxes...

For me, I moved from NY to NJ and it took my company about two months to change my address and start paying full NJ taxes...

Old 10-31-2010, 11:07 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,356,173 times
I think you're wrong about that, babo. Your wife's employment in NYC means she will pay NY state income tax. She will declare her income for NJ taxes and figure out the tax but will take a credit for the amount of taxes paid to New York state on the NJ return, thereby paying nothing to NJ.

They are wrong to deduct NYC resident income tax, but you would get that back on your NY state return anyway.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,356,173 times
Answer for seduflow-Yes, you owe 3.65% New York City resident income tax. You owe NJ taxes on your employment there. Then you will owe the difference between NJ state and NY state taxes to NY state.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:38 AM

255 posts, read 244,605 times
Here is how it works:
If you are NYC resident (all 5 boroughs), and work in a diff state, your employer withholds the state tax for the state where the employer is located, so in your case that would be NJ. You are also responsible for paying NY city tax on top of the state tax. At the end of the year, since you are a resident of NY State, you will be paying NY State taxes, however, what you have already paid to NJ, will be applied as a credit towards your NY State taxes-there is no duplicate state taxation as some people fear.
If you are a NJ resident and work for the NYC-based company, you will be withheld NYS but not NYC taxes, and the same scenario will work at year-end, that is, whatever you have paid to NYS, will be applied towards your NJ state tax liability.
As a controller who supervises payroll function, I strongly recommend that you check your paystubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City