Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 PM

69 posts, read 119,355 times

Advertisements

Do you have a college education and/or job lined up in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Of course, I want to be in it if I have a choice. But if I don't have enough resource, I would settle with something almost as good. Do people realize how close Hoboken or Jersey City are to Manhattan? It's only 10 minute train ride. Isn't that close enough? Of course, if you have the money to be in the middle of action, that's good for you. But if have limited resource, why not find something pretty close for less money? It's just common sense to me.

Atsushi
The fact that newcomers "must" live in Manhattan- despite the high rents and closet sized studios; is one factor keeping the rents down across the river in Jersey and further out neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. At least for now.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
Do you have a college education and/or job lined up in NYC?
No.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Of course, I want to be in it if I have a choice. But if I don't have enough resource, I would settle with something almost as good. Do people realize how close Hoboken or Jersey City are to Manhattan? It's only 10 minute train ride. Isn't that close enough? Of course, if you have the money to be in the middle of action, that's good for you. But if have limited resource, why not find something pretty close for less money? It's just common sense to me.

Atsushi
Just a little joke. Have you considered Brooklyn?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
No.
Then how do you expect to support yourself? What do you do? The job market here is brutal.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Then how do you expect to support yourself? What do you do? The job market here is brutal.
If I cannot find a job by the end of August, then I'll move back here and finish college. If I do find a job, I'll stay.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Quote:
No.
This city will eat you alive. It's not going to be fun scraping by in NYC on minimum wage. Don't even think about coming to NYC without at least a bachelors degree or be skilled at a trade. You don't even need a fancy masters degree or to come from a top school. I've seen people with liberal arts degrees from podunk state college earning 6 figures here, it's actually pretty common. You just really need a bachelors degree to get your foot in the door - for any position, even secretaries have them in NY.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,110 times
Default Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Quote:
I do admire people, like OP who have determination and ambition to want to come and live in NYC. I didn't grow up in rural America, and my only experience of rural America was 3 years in Indiana, which was a tough experience. I did think often of "coming back to the civilization someday" a lot while I lived there. So I do understand their desire to get out of their dinky little town.

What I don't quite understand is the strength of their desire. I mean, I'm sure NYC is an exciting place to live, no doubt. But wanting to do that even if it means living in a bathroom sized apartment with roommates? I do like NYC, but I don't like it that intensely. If I can live somewhere close to NYC for a fraction of the cost, I personally think that my quality of life would be greater, but that's just me.

But seriously, why does it have to be *in* NYC? And why is *near* NYC not good enough for many people?

New York City is like a gem. It's like when someone asks you "Hey, where do you live?" and then you go "New York" and then he'll go "oh wow!". It is that great! So my point is, if you live in New York, society see it as an achievement. It's just that, if it takes one to live poorly in order to live in NYC, then I don't think it would be worth it. In my own opinion, you might as well live like a King at Tenessee and make it feel like a NYC with your $7000 than live in NYC and be treated like a slave.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 AM

43 posts, read 75,291 times
Quote:
If I cannot find a job by the end of August, then I'll move back here and finish college. If I do find a job, I'll stay.
Thats the spirit.! I know if you try you will be fine! Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-11-2010, 04:38 AM

43 posts, read 75,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley Hill Office Spac View Post

New York City is like a gem. It's like when someone asks you "Hey, where do you live?" and then you go "New York" and then he'll go "oh wow!". It is that great! So my point is, if you live in New York, society see it as an achievement. It's just that, if it takes one to live poorly in order to live in NYC, then I don't think it would be worth it. In my own opinion, you might as well live like a King at Tenessee and make it feel like a NYC with your $7000 than live in NYC and be treated like a slave.
Your entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that I admire the OP for having the balls to follow through on his plan. Lots of people say they are going to move to NYC and never follow through. So the kid may scrape his knees, as we all do, but don't forget that everyone has an opportunity to work their way up from "being treated like a slave" (which sounds like a gross embellishment) to living decently and beyond. I have high hopes for these risk takers, let's not be so quick to tell others how irrational or unfeasable their plans are. Telling it like it is as you see it is one thing, but be sure to emphasize that this is simply how you (respectively) see things because I really dont think people came on these forums to hear all that noise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City