U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM

183 posts, read 217,420 times
Default Is Alphabet City safe?

I was reading up on the history of Alphabet City (a neighborhood in the East Village around the Tompkins Square Park area) and I noticed that back in the '70s and '80s it was one of sleaziest areas in New York. I saw some pictures of the area from the time period and they showed a very seedy and disreputable place, full of decrepit buildings, drugs, hookers, and gang members. The park was described as a hangout for addicts and homeless people by Mayor Ed Koch in '84.

I traveled through the same area back in 2005 and the neighborhood looked much cleaner and less threatening than it did in the old photographs. The people at the park were mostly families with children and several teenagers on skateboards rather than druggies. It looked a lot safer. I did notice a lot of graffiti, however, and I was warned not to go there at night.

Can anyone tell me whether or not the neighborhood is safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM

7,891 posts, read 9,930,264 times
It's safe with a gritty past....the only avenue I'd still avoid is D due to proximity to pj's and it being the last avenue to become hipster-ized.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 PM

6,368 posts, read 10,272,940 times
Things are much better everywhere in NY these days but The Lower East Side still has one of the highest crime rates in NYC.It's on a par with E Harlem,parts of The South Bronx and the higher crime areas in Brooklyn.The precinct that encompasses the Lower East Side always has one of the 5 highest crime rates per capita in the city.

Here is a link to a map that shows the crime rates of all the precincts in the city.The darkest shade indicates the highest crime rates.It's from 2 years ago but the 5 or 6 highest crime precincts never change...they just trade places from year to year. http://nymag.com/news/features/crime/2008/42608/

Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 PM

5,042 posts, read 11,083,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Things are much better everywhere in NY these days but The Lower East Side still has one of the highest crime rates in NYC.It's on a par with E Harlem,parts of The South Bronx and the higher crime areas in Brooklyn.The precinct that encompasses the Lower East Side always has one of the 5 highest crime rates per capita in the city.

Here is a link to a map that shows the crime rates of all the precincts in the city.The darkest shade indicates the highest crime rates.It's from 2 years ago but the 5 or 6 highest crime precincts never change...they just trade places from year to year. A Map of Crime Rates in Each City Precinct -- New York Magazine
You should look at the newer list.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 PM

7,891 posts, read 9,930,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Here is a link to a map that shows the crime rates of all the precincts in the city.The darkest shade indicates the highest crime rates.It's from 2 years ago but the 5 or 6 highest crime precincts never change...they just trade places from year to year. A Map of Crime Rates in Each City Precinct -- New York Magazine
Um, that's not where Alphabet City is AT ALL. Alpha City is directly east of the East Village (the light blue, lower crime area on the NY Magazine map you linked). The dark blue high crime area you are talking about is the Lowe East Side/ Chinatown precinct.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM

5,042 posts, read 11,083,979 times
And anyways, using the updated stats, the area isn't too bad at all.

Look at the violent crime rates here:

Map of New York City Police Stops - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 PM

10,489 posts, read 8,136,204 times
I lived on St.Mark's Place between second and Third in the late 70s -early 80s when Alphabet City had it's worst reputation. I had friends who lived there and went to after hours clubs in that area when it was notorious and I never had any problems.
I think that even then the place was made infamous by movies like Panic in Needle Park.
Now I would live there myself if I were not married with teenage kids.

I have been there fairly recently and I thought it was pretty much hipster central.
Do not venture too far East IMO and stay within the blocks that border 8th Street - St marks
Like 6th through 9th.
Between 1st and C perhaps D.

I wonder how expensive apartments are now.
Mine on St Marks was only 150 per month but it had a tub in the kitchen...
aaahhhh those were the days....

Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 PM

10,489 posts, read 8,136,204 times
There was a good cheap Ukrainian restaurant in Alphabet City called The Odessa.
Cheap good food!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:42 PM

6,659 posts, read 6,023,575 times
overall alphabet city is safe , but not the whole thing like some of these bloggers are all trying to paint. I use to work on ave D & east 6th, and ave d is not safe and is where most of the crimes occur also. AVe c is bad around the housing projects pretty much around east 14th to east 10th street. After that mess alphabet city is pretty ok.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM

183 posts, read 217,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
overall alphabet city is safe , but not the whole thing like some of these bloggers are all trying to paint. I use to work on ave D & east 6th, and ave d is not safe and is where most of the crimes occur also. AVe c is bad around the housing projects pretty much around east 14th to east 10th street. After that mess alphabet city is pretty ok.
That's what I figured. I think it was Avenue D that I was told to stay away from at night. Makes sense if that's where the housing projects are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: