U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 7,371 times
Default what charges the tenant sue me?

I have a Section 8 tenant in S. I. NY who stopped paying rent since March 2010. I have taken her to the housing court and then we made two stipulations of settlements but she failed to move out as of today. Eviction proceeding is still on. My lawyer is scheduled with Marshall to fix a date to kick her out. She once lied to the court by sworn that she is a sole person living in my apartment, in fact, her whole family lives my premises since day one. She totally deceived the court, trying to remove her family members from her eviction lists.

I took a picture from our house today for school bus picking her kids up today and tried to prove that her kids are living with her in my premises. Unfortunately, she discovered and called the police.

My question are :

1) Is it caused harassment?
2) Can she sue me for endangering child?
3) What is the consequence if I lose the case?
4) What charges she can sue for

Need your advices

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

522 posts, read 1,508,706 times
Those are questions best answered by your lawyer

Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,260,787 times
Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson here: Don't take section 8/government subsidized tenants!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 PM

316 posts, read 558,749 times
Another valuable lesson: don't seek legal advice on an anonymous internet bulletin board.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 PM

54 posts, read 17,570 times
You see? That's what you get for renting to Section 8 people. Many people on this board keep warning others NOT to rent to Section 8 tenants and this is a prime example (among others) as to why you shouldn't.

Question, how many people are listed on her Section 8 voucher? If she has people living with her that are not on the voucher, she is violating the Section 8 contract and can lose her voucher due to fraud.

I suggest you call Section 8 and find out how many people are on that voucher. If you discover there's more people living with this Section 8 tenant that's not on the voucher, call the Section 8 fraud dept. and report it. Give them details, if you have pictures or video to help your case, submit them.

They will open up a case and investigate. If found guilty, she will lose her Section 8 voucher subside (rightfully so) and from there you can do a holdover to evict the tenant or do a non-payment proceeding since chances are she won't be able to afford the FULL rent now that she no longer has Section 8 paying a portion of her rent. Good luck and remember...NEVER EVER RENT TO SECTION 8/PROGRAM TENANTS DESPITE HOW MUCH MONEY THEY THROW IN YOUR FACE TO ENTICE YOU. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. 9 times out of 10 they turn out to be undesirable tenants.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM

40,060 posts, read 19,440,562 times
She called the police because you took pictures to prove that she's a liar? If it was me, I'd sit back and let her sue me. But when I showed up in court (with my lawyer by my side and my countersuit seeking eviction in hand), I'd have some pretty interesting pictures to show the judge.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 PM

10,718 posts, read 8,580,146 times
If she cant afford the rent, why do you think she can afford an atty? There is no right to privacy on public streets. Just finish the eviction process and get her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City