U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
 
99 posts, read 30,862 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I really admire that. My own parents immigrated to the U.S. without a penny to their name. They were not eligible for ANY government help and yet they picked themselves up. How people who are receiving aid can't do the same is beyond me. I wonder if they feel ashamed when they see other poor people dig themselves out of the hole.
As far as what some people are saying about having an advantage for being skilled versus not...Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you were born with the knowledge it takes to be a nurse. You had to pursue and learn about nursing. You earned those skills and therefore it's fair that you have an advantage. And even though you don't have a job in your field right now, at least you took steps to better yourself and don't expect others to give you freebies.

Thank You! I really don't think they are ashamed. I am not sure if it's a new thing..but many seem to even be talkative/open about the assistance they are receiving. I have seen/overheard a lot.

Yes, nursing is something else. I busted my butt in nursing school. It wasn't entirely a cake walk. Thanks for the nice comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM
 
149 posts, read 200,437 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
If you are such an advocate for them, let them live in your neighborhood. I do not want them in mine. I know what it is like to have nothing and fight for everything I have. You are making excuses for a group that have options many working people do not have. They can go to school and better themselves for free. Do you know how many middle class people can't afford to send their children to college? The middle class are the most vulnerable population. When we lose our jobs, we cannot get aid like the "poor". We have to pay for everything.

I fully support programs to help people from disadvantaged backgrounds better themselves. I do not support people who want a hand out for the rest of their lives.

The nursing graduate will be fine. The same thing happened in the 90s. The nurses I know are doing well today.(100K) The economy is bad now, but it will not be that way forever.
Where did I say class boundaries are unnecessary? There is simply no need to dump on them or stereotype them. And even when they are confined to ghettos, it is wealthier people that eventually attempt to displace them. Therefore, it's usually us trying to move to THEIR neighborhoods.

Again, as I said to Apples. Show me a period in American history-better yet-point me to ANY data that says there are enough jobs for everyone in this country, and that the jobs they can get can provide a decent standard of living, and you will have an argument. None of you can because we all know that in our system, SOMEBODY has to lose. Who else will clean our public toilets for slightly higher than a living wage?

Sooo, you hate section 8ers and welfare recipients, but you want people to sympathize with middle class people who have relished in a culture of credit cards and debt, yet saved nothing to send their kids to school???? Like I said, the bottom of this debate is nothing but hypocrisy. LOL. Once upon a time, when massive GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE (read: HANDOUTS) in the form of educational financial aid was unheard of, people would have thought it was crazy to give the masses money for college. In fact, this handout CREATED the middle class. And you want sympathy cuz people who lease cars and spend 1/5 of their income on Christmas can't send their kids to State Uni.

And I actually agree-the middle class is shrinking and suffering. But is the solution to hold unfounded contempt for people who have nothing to do with that? If YOU can't find a decent job, how do you expect them to?

The dominant welfare narrative is always about the "handout" individual, then to sound progressive we talk about the "good ones". Well, I appreciate middle class folks who take responsibility for the situation they're in too. Like I would never have gone into nursing as this saturation issue was predicted nearly a decade ago. Also, I wouldn't be too quick to assume this will boil over. The teachers I know who actually found jobs are doing well too. But there are quite a few free lancing for blogs . You may find work in a convalescent home...

Half the nurses I know in the US are from other countries. And apparently were able to immigrate *because* they're nurses. I would bet we will still be facing this problem 5-10 years from now, despite the aging baby boomers. It will take me to long to explain now, but let it be known I stated this won't end any time soon....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
 
149 posts, read 200,437 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post

I grew up DIRT poor and NEVER accepted a single handout in my life. It's called pride. People like myself are the ones you want living next door to you. Trust me.
Soooo, you went to nursing school on ***your own dime***?? You do realize financial aid (keyword: AID) is a handout. You do realize a grant (Keyword: grant) is a handout? I love these debates...

And it doesn't take much intelligence to be a nurse. That's why they're a penny a dozen. And why you can't find work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 05:57 PM
 
99 posts, read 30,862 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLux2010 View Post
Where did I say class boundaries are unnecessary? There is simply no need to dump on them or stereotype them. And even when they are confined to ghettos, it is wealthier people that eventually attempt to displace them. Therefore, it's usually us trying to move to THEIR neighborhoods.

Again, as I said to Apples. Show me a period in American history-better yet-point me to ANY data that says there are enough jobs for everyone in this country, and that the jobs they can get can provide a decent standard of living, and you will have an argument. None of you can because we all know that in our system, SOMEBODY has to lose. Who else will clean our public toilets for slightly higher than a living wage?

Sooo, you hate section 8ers and welfare recipients, but you want people to sympathize with middle class people who have relished in a culture of credit cards and debt, yet saved nothing to send their kids to school???? Like I said, the bottom of this debate is nothing but hypocrisy. LOL. Once upon a time, when massive GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE (read: HANDOUTS) in the form of educational financial aid was unheard of, people would have thought it was crazy to give the masses money for college. In fact, this handout CREATED the middle class. And you want sympathy cuz people who lease cars and spend 1/5 of their income on Christmas can't send their kids to State Uni.

And I actually agree-the middle class is shrinking and suffering. But is the solution to hold unfounded contempt for people who have nothing to do with that? If YOU can't find a decent job, how do you expect them to?

The dominant welfare narrative is always about "handout" individual, then to sound progressive we talk about the "good ones". Well, I appreciate middle class folks who take responsibility for the situation they're in too. Like I would never have gone into nursing as this saturation issue was predicted nearly a decade ago. Also, I wouldn't be too quick to assume this will boil over. The teachers I know who actually found jobs are doing well too. But there are quite a few free lancing from blogs .

Half the nurses I know in the US are from other countries. And apparently were able to immigrate *because* they're nurses. I would bet we will still be facing this problem 5-10 years from now, despite the aging baby boomers. It will take me to long to explain now.
^^^OMG...yawwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn...seriously, I haven't even read your last post. Does it take an essay to try to get a moot point across?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:02 PM
 
149 posts, read 200,437 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
^^^OMG...yawwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn...seriously, I haven't even read your last post. Does it take an essay to try to get a moot point across?
You can't read less than 200 words but you want to convince us you aren't lazy???

And please stop using the word "moot". A piece of me dies every time someone who claims to be educated abuses their language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:06 PM
 
99 posts, read 30,862 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLux2010 View Post
Soooo, you went to nursing school on ***your own dime***?? You do realize financial aid (keyword: AID) is a handout. You do realize a grant (Keyword: grant) is a handout? I love these debates...

And it doesn't take much intelligence to be a nurse. That's why they're a penny a dozen. And why you can't find work...
You're so right. My program had 600 applicants and I was 1 of the 30 accepted. I only scored in the 96th and 99th percentile for my two national entrance exams. Like most nursing programs, I was required to keep my GPA above an 80% and ended up graduating with a meager 3.8 overall.

I don't even think I am on your level. I don't condone government assistance and I'm just a lowly nurse I haven't even earned the authority to reply to you. I will go cower in a corner now.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 PM
 
149 posts, read 200,437 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
You're so right. My program had 600 applicants and I was 1 of the 30 accepted. I only scored in the 96th and 99th percentile for my two national entrance exams. Like most nursing programs, I was required to keep my GPA above an 80% and ended up graduating with a meager 3.8 overall.

I don't even think I am on your level. I don't condone government assistance and I'm just a lowly nurse I haven't even earned the authority to reply to you. I will go cower in a corner now.

LOL
Sarcasm=refuge of the inadequate. I don't believe ALL nurses are idiots. Most of the smart ones have lost the sense of self-aggrandizement you and many recent grads have when they think they're owed a position in our society that they haven't quite achieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:20 PM
 
99 posts, read 30,862 times
Reputation: 35
Yeah, I definitely never mentioned society owing me anything. Irrelevant post.
Going back to my corner to cower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM
 
149 posts, read 200,437 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
Yeah, I definitely never mentioned society owing me anything. Irrelevant post.
Going back to my corner to cower.
Oh it's implied, lol. It. Is. Implied. I'm amazed by how unaware of yourself you are. You basically told us that you did everything "the right way" and STILL lost, therefore no empathy or sympathy for others is necessary. Yet, we can't assume you feel somewhat slighted by your current circumstance? PLEASE.

Glad you're using "irrelevant" now. Baby steps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side, NYC
1,586 posts, read 1,937,846 times
Reputation: 1293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
Yes, nursing is something else. I busted my butt in nursing school. It wasn't entirely a cake walk. Thanks for the nice comment.
Of course. Keep pushing, I'm sure you'll find something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top