U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM

412 posts, read 773,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hmm..Home Base. Do you have any information on this new program? I am not familiar with it.

Here is the link:

NYC Department of Homeless Services

There's another called Home Advantage:

Advantage - Program Overview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,484,228 times
So I am not clear why we would close Section 8 due to lack of funding, and simply replace it with others programs which are virtually identical. Wasn't the point to reduce this to save money, and not simply replace it with something identical?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 PM

6,603 posts, read 11,360,892 times
Quote:
So I am not clear why we would close Section 8 due to lack of funding, and simply replace it with others programs which are virtually identical. Wasn't the point to reduce this to save money, and not simply replace it with something identical?
The advantage program is not really identical to section 8 at all:
1) It's for people in homeless shelters
2) The recipients MUST be employed
3)It is for 1 year with a possibility of a 2nd year( not automatic or by right) and then it's over.Nothing beyond 2 year

Not so sure about Homebase but I think it is also designed to be more restrictive about who qualifies and to be more temporary in nature than section 8.

I think both programs are designed to avoid the situation where people just stay on the program for life(or generations) so at least they are a step in the right direction.The bad thing is that I think they are both NYC based programs so they probably cost us(NYC taxpayers) more than section 8 (at least per recipient) .

Old 11-12-2010, 04:36 PM

6,603 posts, read 11,360,892 times
Quote:
The whole system needs an overhaul, and I was hoping Bloomberg was the Mayor to do it. I was wrong. And the reality is, the next Mayor will likely be an incompetent, vote pandering, do-nothing Democrat who will make things worse, not better.
If you want the system overhauled you have to elect a Mayor who has no connections and owes nothing to the NYC real estate industry.Rent assistance programs in NYC are big business and the landlords are much,much bigger scammers than the recipients.That's where all the extra money ends up...in the pockets of big corporate landlords who then make big contributions to politicians to keep the trough full.That's why they buy and trade portfolios of outer borough rental buildings and then fill them up section 8 voucher holders and let the buildings crumble.It's a perfect storm for making huge money.They rake in above market rents and do no maintenance and the tenants don't care because they aren't paying the rent.
Everyone involved has a motive to keep it going.The Dems might pander to the tenants but the Republicans in turn pander to the real estate fat cats. It's not a blue vs red thing at all.Plenty of blame for everyone.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:45 PM

99 posts, read 27,722 times
The world would be a much better place if people would stop expecting freebies and hand outs. That is all I have to say. (disgusted)

Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,119,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaCoast415 View Post
Thanks for this post. I am young and probably dont know as much about thid as you older folks. But why the hostility towards people on sec. 8? My mother is one and she isn't a bad, messy, or ghetto woman at all. Just because your broke doesnt always mean your a bad person. I live in what people would assume is a nice neighborhood in San Francisco. My nieghbors include college student of the nearby university whos parents are obviously loaded because this building isnt cheap and white collar people/families. We moved in 10 years ago. 5 years ago they stopped accepting sec. 8. There are constantly broken beer bottles and loud noises outside. Students coming home throwing up in the elevator and stairwells. And car windows get broken, mine was, on a regular basis. 20 parked cars in a row were vandalized. These "nice" college kids are the worst neighbors a person could ask for. And I bet they arent on sec. 8. So please stop making it seem like because you or your family provides money to live in nice housing un-aided means you are a better person or neighbor because that isnt the case at all.
I agree. Upper middle class kids can be nasty, but daddy pays their bills. Those nasty kids will grow up and pay their own way. A large percentage of section 8 people lack values and integrity. I want! Give me! I'm a single mom with 4 kids! It is not my fault that I am poor! It is not my fault that I can't find a job! Are you noticing a pattern? Who would want to rent to a person that is incapable of being accountable. Read some of the posts by section 8 people. They always have their hands out. It is disgusting. They do a terrible job in raising children and tax payers are paying their way. All of these programs should have a time limit.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 PM

99 posts, read 27,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I agree. Upper middle class kids can be nasty, but daddy pays their bills. Those nasty kids will grow up and pay their own way. A large percentage of section 8 people lack values and integrity. I want! Give me! I'm a single mom with 4 kids! It is not my fault that I am poor! It is not my fault that I can't find a job! Are you noticing a pattern? Who would want to rent to a person that is incapable of being accountable. Read some of the posts by section 8 people. They always have their hands out. It is disgusting. They do a terrible job in raising children and tax payers are paying their way. All of these programs should have a time limit.
You hit the head on the nail...exactly what I have seen, as well. It's a disgusting mentality and people seem to be so comfortable with announcing it casually these days. I would personally keep it a secret if I was on section 8 and work my butt off in order to get off of it as soon as possible.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 PM

731 posts, read 1,271,403 times
In my opinion, this could be bad for boroughs that were hit hard by the foreclosure crisis, like Throggs Neck and Morris Park. Before the crisis, they were areas that usually never accepted those on Section 8 or other public assistance. Now with the crisis, these landlords now end up accepting these people in order to prevent vacancies. This means good neighborhoods will start falling apart.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,119,394 times
It's scary.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,293,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
If you want the system overhauled you have to elect a Mayor who has no connections and owes nothing to the NYC real estate industry.Rent assistance programs in NYC are big business and the landlords are much,much bigger scammers than the recipients.That's where all the extra money ends up...in the pockets of big corporate landlords who then make big contributions to politicians to keep the trough full.That's why they buy and trade portfolios of outer borough rental buildings and then fill them up section 8 voucher holders and let the buildings crumble.It's a perfect storm for making huge money.They rake in above market rents and do no maintenance and the tenants don't care because they aren't paying the rent.
Everyone involved has a motive to keep it going.The Dems might pander to the tenants but the Republicans in turn pander to the real estate fat cats. It's not a blue vs red thing at all.Plenty of blame for everyone.
This is probably the most accurate reasonable response on this matter I've seen. Very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City