U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM

10 posts, read 31,326 times
Default need help picking a college, YORK OR BMCC

i got into both CUNY YORK in jamaica and BMCC in manhatten, im not sure which to pick, i heard york, is one is one of the wortst 4 year colleges in nyc and that bmcc is one of the, if not THE best community college in nyc. So i really dont know which to pick and i need help, and my major isnt going to help either since itll prolly be liberal arts or chemistry or physics, which neither has special programs for. Someone that went to either of these, or has some knowledge about which might be better for me if im looking to transfer after a year or 2, because thats what i plan on doing. What college will give me the best chance of getting into a really good college ? and which is just better ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM

412 posts, read 755,495 times
York is a senior (4 yr) college and BMCC is a community (2 yr.) college.

York is not one of the worst colleges in CUNY. Actually it's a very good college.

BMCC is more of a younger crowd of people and is known as a "party school".

If you plan to only stay in school for at least 2 years I suggest you go to BMCC and get your associates degree than transfer.

My daughter graduated from York a year ago and I'm a graduate of BMCC.

Liberal arts also offered in both schools.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM

so your saying if i plan on staying for the full time i should go with york, and if i plan on transferring to a good school i should go to bmcc ?

what i wanted to do is, stay in either of the schools that i picked, weather it be york or bmcc and stay for a year are maybe a little more, and then transfer out to a better college, like possibly a private or a SUNY. I really cant make up my mind on which to pick

Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Why would you go to a four year college such as York for a year then transfer to another four year college in the SUNY system. It just doesn't make sense.

If you want to go to a SUNY college, why not just go to a SUNY college.

I'm saying if you want to go to school for a short period of time then you should go to BMCC, get your associates degree then transfer to a four year college, either York or a SUNY school.

That way you will be entering the four year college as a lower junior instead of a lower sophomore.

Meaning you will have a total of at least 68 credits and a degree and you can go right into your major and not have to worry about taking all the required courses before your taking classes for your major.

As I stated before why don't you just apply to your SUNY or private school instead of wasting time and money by going to a school that you're not going to graduate from.

Also, what do you consider a "GOOD" college/university. CUNY has very good schools, have you looked at Hunter, City College, Baruch, Lehman or Brooklyn College?

The only difference between CUNY & SUNY is that CUNY schools are located in NYC and SUNY is located in NY State.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 PM

its because its to late to apply to the sunys, and i would have gotten into the same tier of suny schools that i got into with cuny.

I plan on going to school for 1 year and then transferring, to something like maybe emory, or maybe even try NYU or something, but i want to know what will set me up the best for a transfer, such as will the school i apply to after a year at either york or bmcc like me better if i went to york, or if i went to bmcc. Because bmcc is a community they might look down on it when i apply to transfer, but york isnt that great of a 4 year so it might not make a difference. I also want to know which school overall is better.

The 2 things i need to know basically

what school would look better on the appplication when i transfer, a below average 4 year like york college or a pretty reputable community college?

and which school is overall a better school?

Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,720,278 times
Unfortunately despite some of the changes over the last decade, CUNY still gets a pretty bad rap with the exception of a few programs like Baruch's business school or Hunter's Social Work and nursing program.

If it comes down to BMCC or York...I'd recommend BMCC which is centrally located and then transfer into either Brooklyn College, Hunter, City College or Queens College.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM

so bmcc would look better transferring from ? or is it because its a better school ?

and transportation and all other things dont matter to me, i just want to weigh the education and quality of the school with how it looks on a transfer application, like which looks better to be transferring from

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwasx View Post
so bmcc would look better transferring from ? or is it because its a better school ?

and transportation and all other things dont matter to me, i just want to weigh the education and quality of the school with how it looks on a transfer application, like which looks better to be transferring from
Well one is a 2 year school, and the other is a 4 year one. They're both CUNY and I think the credits are transferable from either one. I don't know if one is considered better than the other, but if I had to bet on it, i'd say York, simply because it's a 4 year school. And I only say York because as a 4 year school it may offer more upper level classes in your field of choice which is always impressive.

If you're trying to transfer to a non-CUNY school, from my experience as a former Academic advisor--where you actually went makes a marginal difference. A high GPA in your field is preferable no matter where it came from.

Last edited by itshim; 11-09-2010 at 09:04 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Well one is a 2 year school, and the other is a 4 year one. They're both CUNY and I think the credits are transferable from either one. I don't know if one is considered better than the other, but if I had to bet on it, i'd say York, simply because it's a 4 year school. And I only say York because as a 4 year school it may offer more upper level classes in your field of choice which is always impressive.

If you're trying to transfer to a non-CUNY school, from my experience as a former Academic advisor--where you actually went makes a marginal difference. A high GPA in your field is preferable no matter where it came from.

As stated a better school would be York, yes simply because it's a 4 year college but if you are planning to go to another 4 year college as I stated why waste time and money at York.

Also want to inform you that the deadline for the Spring semester 2011 transfer application was September 15th so you missed it.

If you are planning to attned for the Fall 2011 semester which starts in August 2011 you need top apply before Early April of this year.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,569,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Unfortunately despite some of the changes over the last decade, CUNY still gets a pretty bad rap with the exception of a few programs like Baruch's business school or Hunter's Social Work and nursing program.

If it comes down to BMCC or York...I'd recommend BMCC which is centrally located and then transfer into either Brooklyn College, Hunter, City College or Queens College.
I agree!
Definitely go with BMCC - especially if you're planning to transfer anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City