Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
cuz i mean look at it. a city with like a small population could have one murder. one life cannot be measured to be worth the hundreds that are lost in a larger city. I don't want my cousins in a small town raving to me about how hard their hood is when they only heard about one or two murders the whole year.
I completely agree.

Rate can only be used so far, it may be mathematically correct but there's more factors that aren't considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
cuz i mean look at it. a city with like a small population could have one murder. one life cannot be measured to be worth the hundreds that are lost in a larger city. I don't want my cousins in a small town raving to me about how hard their hood is when they only heard about one or two murders the whole year.
Yeah but when comparing East NY to the Central Harlem, the difference isn't huge. I'd understand if your comparing NYC to a midwestern town in the middle of nowhere but in this case it's comparing CH with a pop of 123,000* to ENY and it's 158,586.

* The Manhattan CD # 10 includes all of Central Harlem and not just it's lower section.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I completely agree.

Rate can only be used so far, it may be mathematically correct but there's more factors that aren't considered.
You can compare NYC neighborhoods with no problem. Other factors are not involved.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
There is the no-snitching code in the hood, so most criminals probably are more sure of robbing another minority knowing that if he snitches, the hood would turn its back on him..in all likelihood, the victim would stay shut.
What does that mean that the hood will turn it's back on that person? Are you referring to most people in that area or mainly the actual criminals of that area? I think it's mainly the criminals of an area that have the most problems with "snitches". People who are are keeping their noses clean aren't as concerned about snitches because they aren't caught up in nothing that would cause them to have problems with snitches. Also the fact that so many people(criminals)from the hood are in jails and prisons indicates that many of them have been snitched on anyway.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Just for the record, the code of "no snitching" is not unique to the hood...it's in most areas. Ever heard of the perverse "Blue Wall of silence"? Cops across the country, small towns to big cities have the same view of "snitching" as everyone else...as soon as they start coming clean and demonstrate that they are interested in clearing out the corruption and cleaning house, so will we. It starts from the top down, and if your own law enforcement has an informal policy on not "snitching" on corrupt officers/corruption, how can you compel the community that "snitching" is ok?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What does that mean that the hood will turn it's back on that person? Are you referring to most people in that area or mainly the actual criminals of that area? I think it's mainly the criminals of an area that have the most problems with "snitches". People who are are keeping their noses clean aren't as concerned about snitches because they aren't caught up in nothing that would cause them to have problems with snitches. Also the fact that so many people(criminals)from the hood are in jails and prisons indicates that many of them have been snitched on anyway.
Yep. "No snitching" is a real joke. Most people in the hood are ready to call the police because they're sick and tired of thugs ruining their neighborhoods. Whether the police actually come or not is another story.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I have noticed that alot of the old people in the housing projects, for example, are calling cops on the troublemakers these days, and they are in fact playing a role in cleaning out the problems and making things better. Who knew crabby old people could make a difference.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You can compare NYC neighborhoods with no problem. Other factors are not involved.
You can compare most without problems.

A lot of precincts span multiple neighborhoods and environments, especially in Staten Island & Queens. Manhattan precincts cover smaller areas.

This is like comparing a larger city to a smaller city but on a smaller scale. The larger city will have a balance of good and bad areas while the smaller city would be like one bad neighborhood singled out. Of course the smaller one is gonna have a higher crime rate. Just a random example would be Los Angeles vs Compton; LA has Watts which is worse than Compton yet LA as a whole has a way lower crime rate, this isn't always the case but it is most of the time. The size of the precincts aren't as drastic as comparing LA to Compton but it's a similar situation.

I'm not saying Harlem is just as safe as Disney World but it's gonna look bad on paper. And saying Harlem is worse than East New York sounds very very crazy.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Simply put if you snitch on someone, you're now a target. Word will spread that you snitched and as a result the dude's (who got locked up) boys will straight try to mess you up. Remember, it's your fault that he's in jail. Oh and forget about your own boys having your back. Your boys wont mess you up but they will shun you.

Even though this code means more to criminals, everyone living in the hood is affected. If you're a innocent bystander, and you give away a drug spot, you're as good as done in that hood. So the best thing someone living there could do is just stay shut, because if they don't, the thugs are gonna make that person regret he/she was ever born.

Also the fact that alot of those dudes are locked up doesn't necessarily mean that they were snitched on. If a police officer sees you robbing someone, that's more than enough. There are still snitches of course, and just because there is that code of silence, doesn't mean people have to follow it, but it is there.

Let me ask you, why do you think they never figured out who killed Tupac and Biggie?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
You can compare most without problems.

A lot of precincts span multiple neighborhoods and environments, especially in Staten Island & Queens. Manhattan precincts cover smaller areas.

This is like comparing a larger city to a smaller city but on a smaller scale. The larger city will have a balance of good and bad areas while the smaller city would be like one bad neighborhood singled out. Of course the smaller one is gonna have a higher crime rate. Just a random example would be Los Angeles vs Compton; LA has Watts which is worse than Compton yet LA as a whole has a way lower crime rate, this isn't always the case but it is most of the time. The size of the precincts aren't as drastic as comparing LA to Compton but it's a similar situation.

I'm not saying Harlem is just as safe as Disney World but it's gonna look bad on paper. And saying Harlem is worse than East New York sounds very very crazy.
Why is this crazy? Harlem was always worse than East NY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
At the same time couldn't the smaller city be a good neighborhood singled out? This is why I believe that is faulty logic. In the example of East NY, do you think there is more good than bad in ENY? I don't believe so. So why is it safer than Harlem? Basically it tells me that there is more bad in Harlem than in East NY. You know what's funny? If anything that comparison should go to East NY because lower central Harlem has seen gentrification so since it is smaller, shouldn't more of it be safe than non-gentrified East NY?

The answer to this is basically that Harlem has been hyped up. Nobody wants to mention the bad that still goes on there. Most of the news about Harlem nowadays is about nice condos, restaurants, and how young proffesionals love it. However, East NY has been a whipping boy. They tell you all the negative because that's what people want to hear. You've been had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City