U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2010, 03:25 PM

215 posts, read 299,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
i'd go for astoria it's the most beautiful place to live in queens, peaceful,affordable and VERY close to nyc i'd say about a 20 minute train ride. astoria is beautiful.
"Beautiful" is an overstretch. There are almost no parks, for example. The streets are not so clean. It is Queens after all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:32 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,217,791 times
^^ lol

i like sunnyside

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM

486 posts, read 617,058 times
All 3 of the areas that you mentioned are good. If I were single and 25, I'd go for Astoria. If I were married and 35, I'd go for Sunnyside. However, neither place would be bad in either situation. For me, Woodside would place 3rd in both cases, but I also wouldn't hesitate to live there.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,885 times
Default Do what most of us do

Youre best bet is to go to a place called Astoria apartments. All they do is what the name sais.I did, and got a nice place.They charge a fee,but they list a whole bunch of places and you pick which one you like.and they do all the paperwork for you. Not that i like to give a place to much props but the guy did get me a place and he negotiated the rent for me and got it for $100 bucks less than what the landlord wanted. But again you have to pay for the service. The guy was pretty cool. He got me a place close to the train and i am in the city within 15 to 20 minutes and 4 stops. I told him how much i could afford,what i wanted and he did the rest. His name was JOHN.I cant remember his email. but he still is there cause i see him from time to time.Anyway good luck....

Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,801 times
I am in the same situation! I just graduated and I'll be moving (from socal) to New York this summer around July/August to work at a consulting firm in midtown. I might be traveling a lot so I am looking for someplace close to the airport. Astoria looks like the perfect place to be, 15-20 to Manhattan and close to LaGuardia. Is this place pretty safe? Can anyone think of a better place?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,947,991 times
Sunnyside and Astoria are close to each other and close to the city, so in my opinion it doesn't matter since you're only a train, bus, cab ride away to nice hangouts and not far from Manhattan. If you're in Sunnyside you can always take a walk to Astoria and vice versa (although most lazy ass bums will disagree with me on this). Woodside isn't bad either. In my opinion you simply won't go wrong with any of the areas you choose to live in. If I was in your situation, I'll be happy being in whichever area. Some other people might be over analyzing and looking for everything to be right in front of their door step, in stead of not minding to do some short traveling.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,933 times
I vote for Sunnyside. I am biased though as I lived in Sunnyside.

Those who are voting for you to live in Astoria based on the "more to do" factor are not being realistic. Truth of the matter is you will most likely be going to Manhattan 90% of the time if you want to go out. Therefore I vote for Sunnyside. The 7 is faster and more reliable than the N or Q especially on the weekends and the commute is much better.

Sunnyside is also smaller and a bit cheaper due to the fact that it isn't quite on the trendy list yet. Also due to the fact that it is smaller Laundry, Hardware, Grocery, Pharmacy etc are all within a block of wherever you live in Sunnyside. I currently pay 1325 for a 1 bedroom. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 PM

596 posts, read 700,297 times
I know this is stupid, but whenever I think of Astoria I think of Archie Bunker and "All In The Family" LOL But I guess those days are long gone, so don't worry about running into people like that, at least I think they are.

If I had my way about it, I'd go to Sunnyside. It's going places and on the up and up. Strike while the iron is hot and move in while it's still cheap. All it's going to take is for one article in the Times to out all the best kept secrets or some celebrity to move there and the rent will triple and you'll get priced out.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:59 PM

31 posts, read 76,218 times
Thanks for the replies guys. Can anybody tell me which streets in Sunnyside offer restaurants, grocery stores, laundromats?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,095 times
Skillman Ave. offers plenty in the way of shops, dining, laundry, etc.

Word of advice: Avoid renting anything through Vantage Management. They own several Sunnyside buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City