U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2010, 04:13 PM

1,810 posts, read 4,140,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Some of you are so damn inconsiderate

You see a homeless man and the first thing that pops up in your head is to get him arrested? Why not ask him if he's hungry? or cold?
Or can I buy you a drink?......
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,043,056 times
Quote:

You see a homeless man and the first thing that pops up in your head is to get him arrested? Why not ask him if he's hungry? or cold?

The ones that really bug me are the ladies who beg on the subway telling us to give them money to feed them and their kids. Where are the kids? They would probably get more money if they had the kids in on the act.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:

Another group of beggars that I'm curious about are those men who claim to be homeless but are selling candy. Where did they get all that candy? One of them I see on the 4 train very often selling his crap in 500 different languages but none of them makes any sense not even the English. I love when he says "in African, Shaka Zulu." ROFLMAO! I should start giving him money just for the entertainment.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 AM

27,439 posts, read 20,840,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Another group of beggars that I'm curious about are those men who claim to be homeless but are selling candy. Where did they get all that candy? One of them I see on the 4 train very often selling his crap in 500 different languages but none of them makes any sense not even the English. I love when he says "in African, Shaka Zulu." ROFLMAO! I should start giving him money just for the entertainment.
I gave a guy on 23rd Street a dollar once because his sign said, "I'm not going to lie, I want to buy a beer."

Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 AM

91 posts, read 181,566 times
Or the ones on the subway that shout to get your attention and proclaim if you don't give them something they are 'going to do some harm'. My dad lived with me the last 3 years of his life after his wife died. He would be one of those homeless insane filthy people if not for his children. He had dementia from years of drinking and diabetes. Where are these poor souls' families?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:09 AM

3,246 posts, read 3,284,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
Or the ones on the subway that shout to get your attention and proclaim if you don't give them something they are 'going to do some harm'. My dad lived with me the last 3 years of his life after his wife died. He would be one of those homeless insane filthy people if not for his children. He had dementia from years of drinking and diabetes. Where are these poor souls' families?
Some people don't have families. Breaks my heart.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
For the most part the ones in the city have tendency to be hustlers, mentally ill or just down on their luck but none of them seem to be dangerous like the ones I've encountered in San Fran. I had to run from one who claimed to be a former NFL player. He told me I had to give him money because I saw him playing "free on TV" and I owed him for that. I don't even watch football but I walk away quickly because I could tell it was going to get intense. Wallking on Market st. at night is worse than any bad neighborhood in the city. The homeless rule the streets and they know it.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,348 times
Update:

I called 311 and they transferred me to City's homeless department a few times. They sent over a guy to persuade the homeless gentleman to leave and according to the voicemail they left me they said that he refused service and refused to leave.

"All you can do is to call again, and we'll send somebody over to talk to him again. He'll probably refuse but there is nothing else that you can do"

Here's a picture.
The area he lives in is technically the department store's property. The street itself is quite busy on the weekends and everybody stares but nobody says anything. I guess as long as he is not on the sidewalk itself blocking the pedestrians then the city won't do anything about it?

I will have to wait and see if I should talk to the department store manager eventually and see if they can close off the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Homeless Man Living Across the Street from me-What can I do?-100_4453.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City