Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

This is never going to happen. If that's the case when a rail road cross state lines falls under federal rail road guidelines so therefore nyct transit won't be considered a subway no more. Mta has no money to fund this project unless they increase tolls again along with fares. Port authority is already helping the mta with the 34th street extension. who will police the section of the line. Nypd transit unit does not have jurisdiction or authority unless its a sever emergency or a search and rescue. The only option is allow port authroity cops to patrol the 7line between nj and 34st since the papd has power of arres and authority in nj nyc\nys. The only good thing that will come out of this is jobs for unemployed men to work as sandhogs. My best bet is for the port authority to build another tunnel for its path system or maybe let the mta allow the lirr to have a stop in jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:10 AM

357 posts, read 727,383 times
So, they want to extend the 7 into Jersey?

And yet, there are no regular trains that go into Staten Island?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
last time i checked it was called the New York City Subway not the NYC & suburban Subway

And last time I checked the MTA buses were called New York City buses, but I sure did see them every morning and afternoon picking up and dropping off people in Bayonne when I lived there.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
I don't get it...if its 1/2 the price of the other hudson rail plan, why didn't they just do this in the first place? I think the spent a couple hundred million dollars on the other plan before the NJ Gov scrapped it. Seems like a good idea if the feds kick in some of the stimulus money and NJ/NY and the port authority kick in some money.

That's my exact thought when I first heard about this, why wasn't it option number 1.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post

They should fast track that over this , they promised that years ago....and still no funding. 1 line would run along the North shore form St. Gorges Ferry Terminal to Midtown Elizabeth , another would run form Bayonne to the South end of SI along the 440 corridor. Total cost would be 5-7 billion and take about 4 -6 years , yet they have no $$$ for that.....what happened to the New Bridges for SI. I like how the Mayor and his buddies neglect other important projects for this.....and what about the promised Binghamton - Elmira Rail corridor? Or the Binghamton - NYC line....all need funding and yet politicians are drooling over this project.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
And last time I checked the MTA buses were called New York City buses, but I sure did see them every morning and afternoon picking up and dropping off people in Bayonne when I lived there.
That is to fill a gap of the planned extension the HBLR system into SI. Legally the MTA subway can't go out of city limits , its not a Railroad like the PATH is.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post

I can see why that might infuriate some people, but you can't look at me with a straight face and deny that Hudson County is much more connected to NYC than Staten Island is, especially culturally. There are many more people in Hudson County and Northern NJ in general that work in Manhattan than there are in Staten Island.

Besides, didn't the people of Staten Island vote AGAINST having a subway go there? There have also been movements to secede from the city.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Im not sure why people think a subway line (that isnt a Railroad) cant go outside city limits. Boston's T, Chicago's els, the LA subway, BART, etc, all cross city limits, and are still considered transit lines, not railroads, IIUC.

Maybe theres an issue of crossing state lines. The only "transit" type ops I can think of that cross state lines are WMATA (DC-MD-VA) and PATH. I do not know the status of PATH, and WMATA probably has its own legislation. OTOH there is no reason congress couldnt pass a special bill to give MTA an out to not be a RR, if thats really an issue (I have never heard before of an "if its interstate its a RR" rule, I'd like to see a link)

Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The reason why has to do with legal technicalities. If you extended the subway across a border, it would no longer be considered an 'urban transportation system' as it is now, and legally become a railroad--and suddenly fall under Federal guidelines. You may be sure that MTA does not want this to happen, for many reasons (having to pay its employees under Federal scale being just one).

Therefore, no matter how many times people suggest extending the subway into New Jersey, you can rest easy in the knowledge that it's not happening. (Unless hell freezes over first, and I didn't hear anything about that on the weather report this morning!)
Fred, I'm not too sure you are totally correct about it no longer be considered an 'urban transportation system'. Unless it's because of crossing state lines? But, PATH crosses state lines and I'm pretty sure they are not under FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) jurisdiction. Many cities do have rail transit cross over in to the suburbs, a good example of this is Chicago where many lines go deep in to suburbia and it's still recognized as the "CTA".

I had 37 years with the RR and I can tell you no one was under any kind of Federal pay scale. They are not federal employees. In fact, as far as pay scale, we couldn't touch the MTA unions as far as pay, benefits and contracts. If that were true, that the current MTA unions would have to disband and come under main line RR unions it would actually save the MTA money.

I agree though, the politics involved in extending to NJ will definitely prohibit it from happening.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
That's my exact thought when I first heard about this, why wasn't it option number 1.
For all of the same reasons that it's never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City