Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:52 PM

357 posts, read 783,426 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in NYC one day.

Right now though im just launching my career with a great job that i love (that is not in nyc)... though once i get some experience, I could look into trasferring.

I'd be curious about hearing from those people that have moved to nyc wihin the past few years. Was it what you expected? would you go back home if you could? miss family, friend, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
Absolutely not!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 PM

979 posts, read 4,456,568 times
Are you gay?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 PM

42 posts, read 100,459 times
I moved here about 2 months ago from San Diego, CA. The first month was hell for me; no job, living out in hostels, frustration with navigating the trains and getting lost to boot, not knowing anyone, trying to compete on getting rooms/sublets in areas I want and losing due to no steady income, no call backs on job applications - not even a rejection call, etc etc.

Now 2 months later, I'm living in Park Slope, working in Rockefeller Plaza, and understanding the train system (incredibly easy to learn once you get used to it). Right now I'm loving every bit of this city. I have NOOO regrets whatsoever -- this was the best decision I ever made in my life. Even if my savings were to run out and I ended heading back home, I still won't regret coming here. The experience in itself is worth it. It's true what I hear people say about this city -- there's no place like it. Everything is so vibrant, alive and full of culture.

Yes I do miss my family and friends and I miss hanging out with them, but I really can't see myself moving back to San Diego, unless I'm completely broke, family related/emergencies, job offer I simply can't refuse, having a family of my own and settling down, or just visiting.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,616 times
I regret not moving here sooner. This place is heaven and every day I love it even more. I have no idea how I lived in Redneckia as long as I did.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,523 times
Trying to move back! I regret leaving!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:57 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
I would love to live in NYC one day.

Right now though im just launching my career with a great job that i love (that is not in nyc)... though once i get some experience, I could look into trasferring.

I'd be curious about hearing from those people that have moved to nyc wihin the past few years. Was it what you expected? would you go back home if you could? miss family, friend, etc.?
You might miss your family and friends if you move anywhere. It's about being away from home in general and has nothing to do with New York.

One advantage is that many people pass through New York (on business, for a convention, to see a show, concert or sporting event, etc.) and it's a place that people love to visit. I get email all the time from friends and family who happen to be passing through the city and want to meet up for a drink. That doesn't happen as much elsewhere.

You're problem might be having too many people from back home wanting to crash at your place.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:12 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I can second that tpk. My friends and family always want to come to NYC. They say they want to see me, of course, but the reality is they want a free place to stay!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM

187 posts, read 450,099 times
I wouldn't regret it if the living expenses were lower compared with the salaries of the middle class professionals like myself. In other words, I love living in Manhattan, but after having a baby can no longer afford it (especially considering that 1br is not big enough a family with children). And looking at the other areas of the city that have good schools, like Park Slope, affordability for those with children is an issue. Even a really small 2-br in Park Slope can cost 700K or 2500-2700 or so to rent. And if you have 2 kids and need a 3-br, and want your kid to go to a good public school then you need to either make a lot of money (300-400K or more), or move to the suburbs.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:03 PM

41 posts, read 23,260 times
I am glad to live here so I can go to school. This is a very good city with so much to do. I like taking the ferry into Manhattan and hanging out with friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City