Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:24 PM

13 posts, read 129,354 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to Long Island City next year. We would like input on whether it is better to be in Queens or Nassau. We plan on renting for the first year or two and then trying to buy something in the 400k- or below range. As far as rents go, hopefully a one or two bedroom for under $1600. Dont even know if this is feasible (?). We would like to be somewhere either close to the LIRR or one of the subway lines that stops in LIC. We would like to be able to have parking for at least one car. We were originally looking at towns in Nassau since we figured it would be more affordable, but now we hear taxes and real estate are actually less in Queens. We are basically looking for input and opinions to help us decide. We are a young, professional couple with no pets or kids but plan on having a family in the future. What are some good neighborhoods to check into in Queens? We've heard about Bayside, Forest Hills, Woodside, and Astoria, and are looking for input on other areas to look at. Also, which are neighborhoods that should be avoided. We live in upstate NY now and plan on making a trip down there in a few weeks to see things in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 25,643 times
Yes,
Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Glandale, Douglaston are still very nice neighborhoods.
The price range varies between 350 to 750K, where 350 are co-ops, 500 are semi-attached, and 750 are some nice 4 bedrooms detached houses.
I am also looking for a house myself, I have looked at many different properties since a month ago when I started, so far no luck, only EXPERIENCE.
Fresh Meadows and BAYSIDE is goin to be my neighborhood, we are a couple with a three year old and we are considering MOST IMPORTANT, school district and transportation, all the house that interested us, unfortunately are expensive but the ones we are kind of decided are arouond 525K with 2800 taxes a year.

Good luck and I hope I helped a bit.
Luig

Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM

13 posts, read 129,354 times
Thanks for the info. We will check out some of the neighborhoods you mentioned. The taxes do seem pretty low considering the property values.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM

259 posts, read 938,978 times
Quote:
we hear taxes and real estate are actually less in Queens
Not necessarily! Taxes are cheaper in Qveens But Real estate prices in the parts of qveens mentioned can actually be more expensive than in Nassau! Real estate might be less expensive in southeastern queens!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:20 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali26 View Post
Thanks for the info. We will check out some of the neighborhoods you mentioned. The taxes do seem pretty low considering the property values.
Remember to add the NYC income taxes to the equation when comparing Queens and Nassau. Nassau's property taxes are higher because you pay no income taxes.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali26 View Post
My husband is being relocated to Long Island City next year. We would like input on whether it is better to be in Queens or Nassau. .
Id go with Long Island City, that area is looking really great and will be consider posh in a couple years.
Nassau county IS LOOKING LIKE QUEENS more and more each day with all these Democrats now in charge why bother to pay extra taxes, $14 a day LIRR to have the same "crap".
It's great to live near the city, $2 and 3 minutes to (Vernon and Jackson area) Manhatten hell yea !

Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Nassau over Queens any day if you can afford it. Much better quality of life. If your young and think you will be bored, just hop on the LIRR to Manhattan.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 28,065 times
How long would it take to commute (by car) from a nicer area of Queens (Forest Hills or nearby) to Garden City during rush hour? Would most people recommend living in Nassau County instead of closer to the city in Queens? I am young and single and am probably looking for a studio w/ parking space in the $1150 range.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 PM

54 posts, read 373,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB41 View Post
How long would it take to commute (by car) from a nicer area of Queens (Forest Hills or nearby) to Garden City during rush hour? Would most people recommend living in Nassau County instead of closer to the city in Queens? I am young and single and am probably looking for a studio w/ parking space in the $1150 range.
My sister lives in the New Hyde Park area of Nassau County. She's minutes away from Garden City. She refuses to drive during the rush hour into NHP or from NHP into the City because the commute by car takes much too long. She's told me that it can take her anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours during rush hour when traveling to and from Jackson Heights, Queens. I don't think Forest Hills would be very different seeing that it's near JH.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:22 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
My sister lives in the New Hyde Park area of Nassau County. She's minutes away from Garden City. She refuses to drive during the rush hour into NHP or from NHP into the City because the commute by car takes much too long. She's told me that it can take her anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours during rush hour when traveling to and from Jackson Heights, Queens. I don't think Forest Hills would be very different seeing that it's near JH.
does she crawl??? it is almost impossible for it to take so long to get from NHP to jackson heights, even using local streets it wouldn't be an hour, at the worst times it would be 30 to 45 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City