Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:19 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,598 times

Advertisements

I lived about 4 blocks from Brookdale. Left that area in 2006, It is not a nice area, however I am streetsmart and survived. Are you Caucasion, if so, you will stand out, especially at night. I would suggest you do your grocery/shopping during weekdays in the daytime, when more working class people are around. You are going to see gang members, drug dealers etc hanging around, even by the hospital. If you are going home late at night, have one of the security gaurds accompany you across the street. Lastly, just be aware of your surroundings and be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,334 times
I used to live over there If u rent an apartment on the other side of linden where all the houses are its pretty safe I personally never felt scared but I was raised in bklyn. Yea but there is a clear difference betw side of of the street (linden) and the other. You will be ok

Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
Raised in brooklyn just south of Brookdale

Good thing hosp provide accomidations across the street. B'ville has REAL problems. Just try not to be traveling the street at night. Even with other people with you. It's not enough. Don't look scared everywhere you go if you have to be out. You have to develop a sense of streetsmarts...act like you lived there for 10 years. You should be ok by the hospital but don't venture too far... Sadly you should see lots of action at that hospital.

Good luck!
When the poster said, he just has to cross the street, I thought, "Damn, he's a marked man crossing the street."

How is he gonna act like he lived there for years?...*lol*

When I was in high school, one of my friends met a girl from Brownsville at a party. A couple of weeks later, he decided to go see her and meet the fam. Took his guitar so he could show off, play some music, sing her songs. He gets off the train just a humming and excited about seeing his new girl. (Of course, his friends told him, don't go alone. No matter where you lived in those days, you didn't go see a new girl in another borough (especially for the first time) alone.

That poor boy came home bloody nose, fat lip, black eye, with a guitar broken clean in half. We were all sitting outside and here he comes stomping down the street all pissed off, fussing and cussing and talking about going back out there to get somebody...*lol*

Turns out some kids approached him and asked where some avenue was. When he said he didn't know, they pounced on his azz. Took about everything from him but his clothes, beat him up, broke his guitar.

The street they asked about was around the corner...*lol*

We laughed about that for months.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM

34,041 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
LOL...I NEVER saw a good section in Brownsville. Now maybe you meant "not as bad as the other part" then yea I agree some parts are worse off than others, but the word "good" and Brownsville should NEVER be used in conjunction

btw Im from flatbush. My father grew up in brownsville/East NY and I have Uncles, Aunts, Cousins all around in different parts of the area and I used to work there.

Once again, I never saw a good part of Brownsville lol.
u crazy...that little area around riverdale avenue and sackman street is tame compared to the rest of brownsville...btw i was born in bklyn

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-30-2009, 03:41 AM

3 posts, read 9,545 times
Your best bet is to say on the small, individual homes side of linden, it safe there at night compared to The project on the other side of linden (not the one with the courtyard and the big satellites, but the empty lot and projects by e 96 st). I live about 4 miles from there, going close to JFK, Almost near pink houses. If you can, try to stay or work closer to Kings County Hospital.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM

420 posts, read 804,838 times
Brownsville is an EXTREMELY dangerous area. I did my pediatrics rotation at Brookdale when I was a med student. Luckily it was during the summer. I would take the 2 or 3 (red line) and get off about 10 minutes away and walk the rest of the way. It was safe in the mornings, lots of people around. When I left (usually about 5) it was still light outside. However, I would NEVER think about walking 2 steps in that neighborhood at night. Even the hospital staff will not walk outside that hospital at night. As soon as the sun goes down the everyone locks themselves insides and the thugs/crack users take over the streets. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS at night.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,939 times
I noticed this post is a few years old. I have an interview at Brookdale hospital this coming week... I'm very nervous about going into that neighborhood... Now in 2013 hos is the neighborhood?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 PM

34,041 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonABC View Post
I noticed this post is a few years old. I have an interview at Brookdale hospital this coming week... I'm very nervous about going into that neighborhood... Now in 2013 hos is the neighborhood?
No difference.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM

28 posts, read 31,938 times
You should be alright. During the day is fine. Just don't venture out there at night by yourself and be alert when you're walking. So far, Brownsville has been quiet for the most part. That will probably change as the weather gets warmer. Brownsville is still dangerous but that area isn't as bad as some of the surrounding blocks.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No difference.
No difference from 07'? I don't know about that... The thugs have been killing each other off for 6 years now without equal replacements... That hood is definitely not what it used to be... It's still probably one of the worst areas in the city but across the board NYC other than parts of Far Rock and Coney Island that took a step back after hurricane sandy have gotten way better in recent years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: