U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 PM

25 posts, read 31,450 times
Default Best way to "check out" Brooklyn for imminent move

I am planning on moving to NYC next summer, and will be making a few trips in the next few months to check out my future living situation. I will be more then likely moving to Brooklyn, maybe Queens. I have been there but never with "moving" eyes. I am going to be making my first of a few trips there for 4-5 days in december. Any suggestions to how to go about exploring the area? I have someone there that will be showing me around, although he's more of an aquaintance then a friend and should he sell out somehow i want to be prepared on doing it on my own, as the purpose of my trip is JUST to check out neighborhoods hoping to walk away with a "I would live here" or "i woudl NOT live here" verdict. What should i look for? Im going to arm myself of a map and sort of highlight areas i like and mark red big "NAH" areas. I also would like to visit a bit on the tourist tip while im at it, any recommendations?
Mainly any tips on what to look for and observe with a move in mind would be good. Thanks for help this forum is great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:27 PM

bump

Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 PM

6,641 posts, read 10,751,081 times
Brooklyn and Queens are too big to explore on just a couple of visits so you are probably going to have to narrow down which neighborhoods interest you before you get here. You can do that for the most part online by reading threads & other webistes and by asking questions.

Biggest factor in what neighborhood you choose is probably going to be what you can afford in rent. If your budget is on the low side, this will actually help you in your search because you can eliminate many of the too-pricey neighborhoods. On the other hand, if your budget is high, you will also be able to eliminate certain neighborhoods that mainly only get chosen because they are inexpensive or value deals.

I am not really endorsing the content, but you could check out NY Magazines "top 50 most liveable neighborhoods" The Neighborhoods Issue 2010 -- New York Magazine

As for what to look for in neighborhoods once you get there -I recommend doing research before even getting off the train. If you are very limited in terms of what you see when you are looking at a neighborhood, you might miss what some consider the best part.

Example - when I first arrived in NY, I had a friend who lived in Fort Greene. I visited her place once and it was on a tiny, congested street right off of Flatbush. It was horrible! So that's what I thought of Fort Greene until one day probably a year or so later I saw Fort Greene park and the lovely streets nearby.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Brooklyn and Queens are too big to explore on just a couple of visits so you are probably going to have to narrow down which neighborhoods interest you before you get here. You can do that for the most part online by reading threads & other webistes and by asking questions.

Biggest factor in what neighborhood you choose is probably going to be what you can afford in rent. If your budget is on the low side, this will actually help you in your search because you can eliminate many of the too-pricey neighborhoods. On the other hand, if your budget is high, you will also be able to eliminate certain neighborhoods that mainly only get chosen because they are inexpensive or value deals.

I am not really endorsing the content, but you could check out NY Magazines "top 50 most liveable neighborhoods" The Neighborhoods Issue 2010 -- New York Magazine

As for what to look for in neighborhoods once you get there -I recommend doing research before even getting off the train. If you are very limited in terms of what you see when you are looking at a neighborhood, you might miss what some consider the best part.

Example - when I first arrived in NY, I had a friend who lived in Fort Greene. I visited her place once and it was on a tiny, congested street right off of Flatbush. It was horrible! So that's what I thought of Fort Greene until one day probably a year or so later I saw Fort Greene park and the lovely streets nearby.
I already have some neighborhoods in mind. I have been doing nothing but research online, i was more looking on advise on what to do once there other then just walk around.. like what to look for and what to watch out for. i'll take a look at that link thanks

Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,875,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indro77 View Post
Douche. if you have nothing to contribute go and write on youtube or something.

That was pretty harsh. What's wrong with moving to the Bronx? My gf just found a great place. I was trying to open your options. Especially Parkchester or Mott Haven.

See Bronxguyanese this is the reaction you get when you mention the Bronx to outsiders.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 AM

ok sorry well it wasnt what i asked for i took it as you were just trolling. i wasnt trying to be rude but that is not my area of interest.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,875,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indro77 View Post
ok sorry well it wasnt what i asked for i took it as you were just trolling. i wasnt trying to be rude but that is not my area of interest.
Suggesting some areas in another boro is trolling? OK, whatever. Sorry I try to help.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 AM

40,060 posts, read 18,502,060 times
Get a Brooklyn bus map--they're free at subway stations--and ride around the borough by bus. You're not going to get a better look at the different neighborhoods than that!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Suggesting some areas in another boro is trolling? OK, whatever. Sorry I try to help.
dude i said sorry! thought those areas you suggested were pretty hood, and you were just trying to be funny by suggesting them!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM

467 posts, read 1,135,413 times
Rent a zipcar at about midnight and drive around all the areas you're thinking about. Did that when I moved to Brooklyn. If you like an area in the dead of night, you'll definitely like it during the day. But just because you feel safe in the day, doesn't mean you will at night. There was an apartment we drove by where I wouldn't get out of the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City