Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
You know what I hate? When young (I'll assume your white) woman think that the second they step into the hood that they are targets for rape, robbery, and all that other stuff. I'll have you know that that sterotype is incredibly annoying and dates back to segregation times.

anyway, look at the crime stats, look at the population, and make you own opinion.
Actually, I believe Doobage is African American. She has stated it in previous postings and her screename is a word from AAVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,140 times
then my response is to the general public on this sub forum

Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
You know what I hate? When young (I'll assume your white) woman think that the second they step into the hood that they are targets for rape, robbery, and all that other stuff. I'll have you know that that sterotype is incredibly annoying and dates back to segregation times.

anyway, look at the crime stats, look at the population, and make you own opinion.
Actually I hate that too, especially since black/African American women (like myself) are at the highest risk. Some people just think that others' lives revolve around them. My screenname is not from "AAVE".

Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Actually I hate that too My screenname is not from "AAVE".
Sorry, I thought it was a drug term. Smoking a doobie. Did you score any doobage to smoke. My "bad."
What is doobage?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Sorry, I thought it was a drug term. Smoking a doobie. Did you score any doobage to smoke. My "bad."
What is doobage?
It does mean that, but I don't think it's from AAVE. My friends from art school who are stuck in the 70s use that word all the time and I thought it was funny, so I used it as my screenname .

Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
It does mean that, but I don't think it's from AAVE. My friends from art school who are stuck in the 70s use that word all the time and I thought it was funny, so I used it as my screenname .
People take words and phrases that were started by African American all the time and make it their own. "My bad" is one of them. I'm not sure but I would bet that word was started by blacks.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
All I read is that people shooting each other in Queens a lot more. Harlem tend to have the most gruesome of the murders, and Brooklyn killings are somewhat your "standard" issue dispute.

All the thugs apparently graduated and lives in Manhattan now. If you could stay out of gang fights in China town, it's still a S%^^ hole, but apparently it's not too bad living there.

I guess the only good part of town is East Village. but I don't know that much about NYC to really say. This is all observation and visiting there tons of time during college. People say Atlanta is bad, and always worry about walking around the city at night, but I grew up there, I lived there, and I walk around the city at night and feel perfectly safe. I guess it's just one of those things, if you grew up somewhere, no matter how bad the neighborhood is, you don't feel that way about your home town.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
All I read is that people shooting each other in Queens a lot more. Harlem tend to have the most gruesome of the murders, and Brooklyn killings are somewhat your "standard" issue dispute.

All the thugs apparently graduated and lives in Manhattan now. If you could stay out of gang fights in China town, it's still a S%^^ hole, but apparently it's not too bad living there.

I guess the only good part of town is East Village. but I don't know that much about NYC to really say. This is all observation and visiting there tons of time during college. People say Atlanta is bad, and always worry about walking around the city at night, but I grew up there, I lived there, and I walk around the city at night and feel perfectly safe. I guess it's just one of those things, if you grew up somewhere, no matter how bad the neighborhood is, you don't feel that way about your home town.
I only visited Atlanta twice and it just seemed to be a very other side of the tracks town. Blacks live on one side whites on the other. Rich on one side poor on the other. This was 10 years ago, I'd like to think things have changed.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM

apparently "As a child of the 50s and growing up the 60s. The source of this term is from the Children's TV show ... ROMPER ROOM. There were good and bad "DOO-BEE". You were a good DOO-BEE if you did what your mother told you. Picked up your room, cleaned your plate, etc.

In college we passed around the joint.. but you did not get to smoke unless you were a good DOO-BEE."

then they added - age (process of, outcome of) in the 70's, but the term "doobie" started in mid 60's, by white people living in suburbs and college.

I actually found that "spliff" is West Indie term that was a slang of a Jamican term.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I only visited Atlanta twice and it just seemed to be a very other side of the tracks town. Blacks live on one side whites on the other. Rich on one side poor on the other. This was 10 years ago, I'd like to think things have changed.
no, it's still like that. Fox theater and near Midtown, Peachtree st has $1 + penthouse and condos, and next street over, you have all of the people living off of government checks.

Only thing that's changed is the ratio of black people living in those $1+ condos vs ratio of white people living off of government checks. They're all equally rich and poor at the same time.

I guess all of the poor people live in South of Atlanta and most of the rich people live in North of Atlanta. But it's spotty outside 285 loop, but inside, it's pretty straight.

Last edited by Plokivos; 11-29-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City