U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5182 View Post
That wasn't my point.

My point was that the largest Jewish community outside of Israel is in NY.
You don't make a clear point. New York (State/City) is big, but Florida's Jewish Communities continue to grow and trump it.

New York State? Yes, has both highest population of Jews and percentage of Jews per any US state.

New York City? Yes has highest population of Jews, but not a higher per cap when compared to Boca Raton. Also numbers vary between West Palm Beach, and Miami, some stats pointing them above New York City.

Kiryas Joel, NY has the highest Jewish Population per cap per City in the USA, (likely the world) but is a City of less than 25,000 people.

New York County? No. Trumped by Kings County in Population of Jews; and trumped by Rockland County in Percentage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,890,832 times
The last detailed study of Jewish pop in greater NY (NYC plus 3 suburban counties) was done in 2002. Jewish Community Study of New York, 2002 - [North American Jewish Data Bank]

It has info on number of jews by boro, breakdowns among the movements, age distro, etc, etc.

A new study is being planned right now. UJA-Federation can't afford to do studies more frequently than that.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Edge View Post
  • What's the Jewish population in New York City as of 2009/2010?
  • What's the population of orthodox Jews in New York City as of 2009/2010?
Very interested to know!

In 2002 there were an estimated 972,000 jews in NYC.

About 378,000 orthodox live in the 8 county area, since there are only about 50,000 in the three suburban counties listed (nassau, suffolk and westchester) mostly in Nassau, that leaves about 325,000 Orthodox Jews in the 5 boros. Just over 1/3 of the total J population in NYC. Undoubtedly much higher in Brooklyn, and much lower in Manhattan.

The proportion of O jews has undoubtedly increased since 2002, but until a new study is done, no one knows how much.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM

7,561 posts, read 10,686,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
You don't make a clear point. New York (State/City) is big, but Florida's Jewish Communities continue to grow and trump it.

New York State? Yes, has both highest population of Jews and percentage of Jews per any US state.

New York City? Yes has highest population of Jews, but not a higher per cap when compared to Boca Raton. Also numbers vary between West Palm Beach, and Miami, some stats pointing them above New York City.

Kiryas Joel, NY has the highest Jewish Population per cap per City in the USA, (likely the world) but is a City of less than 25,000 people.

New York County? No. Trumped by Kings County in Population of Jews; and trumped by Rockland County in Percentage.
You must be a load of fun at parties.

His point was well taken and clearly lucid. Personally, I always heard the nugget that there are more Jews in New York than Tel Aviv.

I have also heard New York is the second largest Greek city after Athens. But I am sure you will summon your inner Cliff Claven and fill in the statistical gaps.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You must be a load of fun at parties.

His point was well taken and clearly lucid. Personally, I always heard the nugget that there are more Jews in New York than Tel Aviv.

I have also heard New York is the second largest Greek city after Athens. But I am sure you will summon your inner Cliff Claven and fill in the statistical gaps.
Tel-Aviv has a population 1/20th that of New York City. It is very likely New York City thusly has more Jews.

While you might take any point as clear, and lucid- it doesen't stop it from being incorrect. Anecdotal evidence, despite how widespread, may not always be factual.

I base my findings in research, and even that may be subject to some degree of fault. However using Census Data- for both Synagogues and Jewish households (those with one or more self-described Jews residing within), New York City is not #1 in the USA.

Last edited by grant516; 12-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: incorrectly spelled factual.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM

27,049 posts, read 13,460,745 times
I think 1 in 8 residents in NYC is jewish. Much lower than it used to be, 1 in 4 or so in 1950.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
. However using Census Data- for both Synagogues and Jewish households (those with one or more self-described Jews residing within), New York City is not #1 in the USA.

There is no Census data on synagogues or jews or jewish households. The US census has no question on religion. All we have are community studies done by local jewish federations, sometimes with inconsistent methodologies.

The UJA-Federation 2002 study says 972,000 Jews in NYC. Which municipality in Florida has more? What source says so?

As for TA, Tel-Aviv-Jaffa is only a relatively small part of metro TA, which includes Ramat Gan, Bnei Brak, etc. By the same token NYC is only part of Greater New York.

Of course NY is much larger than TA, city to city or metro area to metro area. No one claims that NYC has a larger Jewish pctge than TA. The point is that its TOTAL Jewish community is (or at least recently was) larger.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM

7,561 posts, read 10,686,788 times
Quote:
Tel-Aviv has a population 1/20th that of New York City. It is very likely New York City thusly has more Jews.

While you might take any point as clear, and lucid- it doesen't stop it from being incorrect. Anecdotal evidence, despite how widespread, may not always be factual.

I base my findings in research, and even that may be subject to some degree of fault. However using Census Data- for both Synagogues and Jewish households (those with one or more self-described Jews residing within), New York City is not #1 in the USA.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to post your sources and calculations?

You may well be correct. Or maybe not. My point was more to your delivery, which is a bit cantankerous.

Thusly yours,

mothstein

Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,240,287 times
The only thing I know about Jews in NYC is that 1 in 5 (20%) live below the poverty per UJA's survey.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 PM
grant516

n/a posts
The poverty issue is an interesting one, and more than likely skews 95% of those Jews below poverty level are Orthodox Jews who are living in poverty because of religious traditions and choices.

As far as numbers and figures there are a variety of sources- but the major contributer to read is the recent (2010) studies from the NAJDB - Home - [North American Jewish Data Bank]

All numbers completely change when you integrate Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester (as institutions often do) into the population of New York City, however- those counties are not a part of New York City or county.

Synagogue data is not collected by the Census, but can be tabulated against census populations to show percentages. Of course that leaves a lacking given that 50 small synagogues of 50 members, would still be counted over 1 mega-synagogue with 5000 members.

I'm not a Jewish Studies researcher, but that would be interesting research to see someone fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City