Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

I realize you don't like SI too much, but I have strong roots with the island.
I for one don't cringe at the thought of Staten Islanders moving in. I cringe at the thought of Staten Island joining NJ.

Either way, I don't hate the borough. It's just the fact that so many people hate it. A lot of the people who hate it have no right to hate it, they're usually just ignorantly jumping on that bandwagon without any actual credibility.
Well................ That's you.
Staten Island can do whatever it wants to do. I don't care if it is home to the next president of The United States or sinks into the Bay.
My problem is New Jersey getting blamed for the ways of Staten Island meatheads.
NYC loves to project their shortcomings onto others. Staten Island & all of that guinzaloon culture originates from NY.
NY is the Mecca & Medina of meatheads. Like it or not.
Again, Staten Island's mentality is straight Brooklyn. It has very, very little to do with NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Well................ That's you.
Staten Island can do whatever it wants to do. I don't care if it is home to the next president of The United States or sinks into the Bay.
My problem is New Jersey getting blamed for the ways of Staten Island meatheads.
NYC loves to project their shortcomings onto others. Staten Island & all of that guinzaloon culture originates from NY.
NY is the Mecca & Medina of meatheads. Like it or not.
Again, Staten Island's mentality is straight Brooklyn. It has very, very little to do with NJ.
Why exactly are you in the nyc forums to begin with See this is what im talking about folks

Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Why exactly are you in the nyc forums to begin with See this is what im talking about folks

Am I lying though?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-24-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post

Am I lying though?

Yes.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,825 times
Ugh... this is gonna hurt me to an extent...

I wont go as far as to call New York the "Mecca & Medina of meatheads" **BUT** New York City DID revel in that image and that stereotype for a loooong loooong time. Just think of any stereotypical New Yorker you see on a TV show. Before Manhattan was glamorous to everybody it was THAT. Before Brooklyn was too classy for heavy accents it was THAT. That image made Brooklyn and now they all just turn and laugh when that image is applied to Staten Islanders on SNL. Of course it's always overexaggerated but it wasn't just picked out of thin air. You can't prove that that persona came over the Verrazano but you also can't prove that it didn't.

With that said, I rather Staten Island be its own country than part of New Jersey.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
With that said, I rather Staten Island be its own country than part of New Jersey.
New Jersey agrees.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Well as a Brooklyn Native, I always show love to SI. It's a borough and whether people know about it or not - It's apart of our history. I know I wouldn't trade it for Jersey or any place else. Even though at times Jersey (specially Jersey City) seems to be an extension of NYC too. Seriously, it doesn't even fit well with the rest of Jersey. Lol.

I WILL admit, I use to only go to the mall for Hollister. But now we also have 2 in Manhattan - =/

It's cool you want to move to Brooklyn though - It's still in the city and it's my home so I approve =) You could always visit home on SI whenever you like!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
this NYC/NJ battle is ridiculous

msg board posts are garbage, just pure foolishness

Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
this NYC/NJ battle is ridiculous

msg board posts are garbage, just pure foolishness
Agreed especially since we're so close to each other.
It's not even like a Coast Vs Coast thing.

It's crazy to me, I'm an East Coast guy but the northeast has my heart the most.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Yo, OP, where are you? What do you think of all this? (And I maintain that anyone who whines and moans about any of the five boroughs isn't demonstrating what we would call a New York attitude. Shameful, that's what it is!)

People from New Jersey, please confine your observations to that side of the river. Mainly because you aren't going to change our opinions, and we realize we're not going to change yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City