U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM

27 posts, read 58,983 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am moving out, because now I am suspecting my aparment which is more then 50% below ground is illegal. But, I want to call the HPD and inform them so no one else rents. My employeers informed me that if I call, the landlord will have to pay me all rent that I paid, security and interest back. I am not worried about any of this, except security deposit. I just gave a 30 day notice, the ONLY reason I am staying another 30 days is because now I have to save the $2000 to move into a new place. I am new to NYC and had NO idea that this wasn't legal until my boss told me. I've been reading a lot online and it seems to be a HUGE danger. I don't want anyone to be in danger of carbon monoxide or fire because of this. Basically, now that you know some of the back story, I just want to know, if I were to call HPD today and they came to inspect would I have to move out right away? I have a new place lined up, but I don't have the $2000 needed to move in. AHHH, what do I do????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM

12,343 posts, read 12,131,936 times
just move, don't call anyone and make a big stink about.
just go on your merry way and enjoy life here. Why make drama for yourself???

Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM

So, then I hear someone dies because there is a fire or something? Sigh. I suppose. But, I still think that I should say something. He should at least put a smoke detector/ carbon monoxide detector in the apartment.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:15 PM

12,343 posts, read 12,131,936 times
If someone lives in an apartment and doesn't get their own smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector, and leaves it up to their landlord, then it's their own fault.

I wouldn't leave my safety up to a total strganger that wouldn't give a rats ass about me.

just move and don't cause unwanted drama in your life.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM

477 posts, read 1,273,852 times
It takes months for investigators to actually find an illegal basement apartment. They are not going to just raid the apt just because of 1 phone call. Someone reported my in-laws entire block for an illegal basement apartments. In my in-laws’s house it was tenants but they are family and was not paying any rent. Supposedly the people who was selling a house on the block reported it to get their house sold. Somehow word got back that they made the report over a year before HPD & Fire Depts. raided all the homes on the block. They DESTROYED my in-laws’ basements. It was never in a profit renting conditions to begin with. Now it’s a horrific shell. She just now decided to hire contractors up to make it a storage place.
I totally agree with nightcrawler. Just leave it alone and let it be. It’s not going to be a secret that you did it either. My very first apartment was an illegal basement apartment and it was hooked up heavenly. I would have never reported her since she put so much work into that basement to make it livable (but not legal) and to have it all destroyed. Just plain mean.. (unless you hate your LL)

Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,712,752 times
I am planning on finishing my basement.....it has 2 means of egress (backyard and front under the staircase), it has 2 large windows facing the yard and a small side window, but the ceilings are about 6.5 I believe. Is it possible that this can be a legal apt? I just dunno...the COO states a 3 family, excluding the basement.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 PM

My landlords a creep, he has cameras every where (outside) and he will come to me and say "saw you came in at 2am last night, liked your outfit." I'm like, wtf? I am NOT a mean person and would have never thought about this before. I most likely won't report. I just wanted to know what would happen if I did.

Another question I have, can he tell me my boyfriend can only stay on the weekends? My boyfriend stays about 3 nights a week and my landlord freaks out about this. We are quiet and typically ONLY here to sleep. He tells me we use too much electricity. I told him then he shouldn't have included it in the tent. I don't know, I just can't wait to get out of here!!!

@Sobroguy - I think as long as you have permits and its more then 50% above ground you're ok. Otherwise no one can "sleep" down there. That's what I get from what I've read. Just make sure its well ventilated and you do everything through a legit contractor with permits. Then, I think its ok.

Thanks everyone.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM

982 posts, read 2,411,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzhellokittynyc View Post
My landlords a creep, he has cameras every where (outside) and he will come to me and say "saw you came in at 2am last night, liked your outfit." I'm like, wtf? I am NOT a mean person and would have never thought about this before. I most likely won't report. I just wanted to know what would happen if I did.

Another question I have, can he tell me my boyfriend can only stay on the weekends? My boyfriend stays about 3 nights a week and my landlord freaks out about this. We are quiet and typically ONLY here to sleep. He tells me we use too much electricity. I told him then he shouldn't have included it in the tent. I don't know, I just can't wait to get out of here!!!

@Sobroguy - I think as long as you have permits and its more then 50% above ground you're ok. Otherwise no one can "sleep" down there. That's what I get from what I've read. Just make sure its well ventilated and you do everything through a legit contractor with permits. Then, I think its ok.

Thanks everyone.
The reason it's included in the rent is because ConEd won't give him a separate meter because it's an illegal apartment.
Legally your BF can move in if he wants to regardless of what the LL or the lease says.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 PM

That's what I read, just wanted to make sure I read that correctly. My landlord just thinks I'm young and stupid. Ehh, his loss. (:

Thanks everyone!!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:00 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,212,294 times
I went through this many years ago in the Bronx....it was my first apartment....later found out that it was illegal to rent a basement apartment. Long story short went to housing court.....was told not to pay anymore rent and prepare to move. Contacted the NYC department of buildings....inspector came out....landlord was dragged into court, fined for renting an illegal apartment and then made to dismantle the apartment!

This is a very expensive city.....people will do anything to make money, even when it is an illegal fire hazard that can cause someone to lose their life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City