Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 PM

121 posts, read 387,705 times

Advertisements

moving there very soon, i've seen it on youtube and it looks like a very commercially area with lots of stores

how is this area at night?

on weekends i like to go shopping and head out to the movies a lot so i'll be getting in at about 3-4 am

i'm a male 19 years old hispanic 5'3 very slim
i just want to know that i'm going to be safe at all times in my apartment it's a studio and that whenever i feel like walking around outside i wont die or be mugged or stabbed

something about the bed-stuy area has always captured my eye it seems to be really different than where i grew up, i currently live 20 minutes north of the woodbury outlets in upstate new york.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 PM

177 posts, read 416,202 times
If you just want to know you're going to be safe at all times in your apartment, and that whenever you want to walk around you won't be mugged or harmed, you can forget that. That's never going to be a guarantee anywhere obviously.
Have you been to the place you're planning on moving to? Watching a video on youtube defintely doesn't mean you have an idea of the move you're making.
You need to go to the place.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,168 times
First of all.. as I explain to people all the time.. NO ONE IS PAYING YOU ANY ATTENTION!!! You are not a moving target. You really think people are going to stop and pay you any mind while you’re walking home late at night? No! Unless you’re walking down the street yelling, cursing or jogging naked, no one really cares about you enough to kill you. If you bring attention to yourself, you will be noticed.. Yes like talking very loudly on your Iphone while walking down a dark deserted street at 4am.. You just might get robbed.. Just like anywhere else!! Most crime (shootings) happens between people who have beef between each other or even being at the wrong place at the wrong time. But I highly doubt that you will be "stabbed or shot" for living your life.. Mugged?? Maybe! I think everyone has either been mugged or knows someone who has been mugged in their lifetime.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM

810 posts, read 836,760 times
Rule of the jungle applies. If you are not running with a crew or if you look scrawny/without something to protect yourself then you will be targeted. Not all of the time obviously, but in many instances.
There are the usual muggers, duo of guys that loiter around the hood looking for someone to rob, those are there any time of the day or night.
Besides them there are the typical knuckleheads that just like to start trouble, and are usually middle-school/HS students that cut school. They run in packs and can attack you if you look frail or an outsider.
People doing drug deals probably won't mess with you but they don't care where they shoot.
That's how it is in the hoods, especially in and around the commercial areas or projects. Relatively most peaceful spots are those where the old factories, or where hasidics or latinos live.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
First of all.. as I explain to people all the time.. NO ONE IS PAYING YOU ANY ATTENTION!!! You are not a moving target. You really think people are going to stop and pay you any mind while you’re walking home late at night?
And on top of that, Nostrand Avenue is one of the longer streets in Brooklyn. It runs from the southern edge of Williamsburg all the way across the borough to Sheepshead Bay. The OP seems to be trying to put the whole street in a single category which is, of course, ridiculous.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And on top of that, Nostrand Avenue is one of the longer streets in Brooklyn. It runs from the southern edge of Williamsburg all the way across the borough to Sheepshead Bay. The OP seems to be trying to put the whole street in a single category which is, of course, ridiculous.
RELAX i have never been to that section of brooklyn and am planning on going to see the apartment this weekend when i get more details and the exact address i will post it, i'm not trying to do anything the only thing i'm "trying" to do is find some information on the area and the surrounding area so relax.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
OOOOOOHHHHH ****! really, DON'T move there. I live around there and you kinda like a punk and aren't white, so you might get targeted
i'm not a punk and i'm hispanic, all i know is i mind my own business, but if someone wants to be about it then they can pop off solo dolo style ofcourse

Old 12-03-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
well, since I know I will be ignored, nostrand itself is iight around fulton due to the constant police and lights. I can't really vouch for futher up north.
i was joking, i dont know there is something about bed stuy i have always liked i guess its the diversity and the fact that its entirely different then where i was raised and i want to be able to find some nice guy who can provide me with some puff puff pass when im having a hard time.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM

810 posts, read 836,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
i was joking, i dont know there is something about bed stuy i have always liked i guess its the diversity and the fact that its entirely different then where i was raised and i want to be able to find some nice guy who can provide me with some puff puff pass when im having a hard time.
Obviously, anywhere were you can get puff puff pass from a guy won't be the kind of place you were looking for in your original post.

Unless you mean something else, then Chelsea would be a better option. But I know its easier for those people to get roommates there.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Obviously, anywhere were you can get puff puff pass from a guy won't be the kind of place you were looking for in your original post.

Unless you mean something else, then Chelsea would be a better option. But I know its easier for those people to get roommates there.
lol i mean the puff puff pass that you roll up not that kind of puff puff pass i've had enough of that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City