Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,159 times

Advertisements

Yea...I know what you're talking about. It's not just the wannabe rappers...don't forget those idiots selling M&Ms for their basketball team Its like all these kids aim low and either want to be aspiring rappers or low level hustlers. This is the problem I have in general with living in NYC. Too many people, too much noise and it's very frustrating to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 02:10 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
[quote=availableusername;16864877]I'd personally rather have to deal with some in your face wannabe rapper for 5 seconds than have to deal with this while waiting for a train after a hard days work....

/quote]What was wrong with that? I'd rather watch and listen to that over the jungle music I hear from some of these kids. However I have notice that panhandling and street performers seem to be a problem on the L train and stations. There are many PA against supporting them.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 AM

349 posts, read 781,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Yea...I know what you're talking about. It's not just the wannabe rappers...don't forget those idiots selling M&Ms for their basketball team Its like all these kids aim low and either want to be aspiring rappers or low level hustlers. This is the problem I have in general with living in NYC. Too many people, too much noise and it's very frustrating to deal with.
I don't get some peoples obsession with being a "hustler". Are you that obsessed with making small amounts of money? I once had a flight attendant on a plane tell me "this is just 1 of my hustles". No it's not its your job. Anyways, a few years ago a guy stopped me and shoved his cd into my hands then asked for a donation. I told him Id give him a dollar for it and he got all pissed off lol. That was before I learned to ignore people on the streets all together.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 AM

810 posts, read 836,760 times
The correct terminology is aspiring rapper, get it right. But there are sure a lot of hustlas down there. I know some of they scams. Like they ask for tourist's name and then write it down on tha CD, then the tourist owe them money. Or they tell you have taken a CD free from them before, but now you have to donate them money. There's also the box scam where they ask you watch their box for a minute until they come back, then when they open the box there be no CDs so either pay them fitty or hundred or they get mad at you.

The way to get rid of these guys is simple. ALL of them carry a gun (80% of the time) or a knife/some other weapon. When you see them from a distance call a cop and tell them you observed menacing with an object from their pants pockets. The smart ones disperse when they see 2 cops walking to them, the dumb ones stay there and get arrested.

You better get used to it in the outer boroughs though, there are areas in brooklyn where every block you walk to someone will ask you for a dollar or 50 cents.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Between 42nd Street through 34st and Herald Square and sometimes around 14st and Union Square there is like a rapper or group of rappers who try to promote themselves. I've never seen the same rapper twice but they are ANNOYING and too aggressive and in your face sometimes. There's been times where I'm walking by and they lay their friggin hands on me to try and sell me their albums. They always assume I am into rap because usually after work I have more rugged and sloppy looking clothes on with a Yankee cap and a pair of "Tims" (I do construction) and look more hood.

Once I was in a really pissy mood and almost ignited a riot when I smacked the guys hand off of me. These are guys who always have promote themselves and burn songs on to a blank CD using crappy music recording software and hardware. I know because I brought a CD off an old friend who was the one promoting himself and I regret buying it for friggin 8 dollars. I was just trying to be a good friend though.

Has anyone ever bumped into them? They can be overtly aggressive and they aren't really good at even promoting themselves because it can go to the point of harassment sometimes and they aren't very friendly either. They try and promote but once you're not into what they want they act as if you're wasting THEIR time.
Just say no and keep walking.
They are just trying to sell their product like every other street vendor.
Why not complain at the lady that sells icy's or the AVON people??

Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
OH LORD! They both **** me off. What I hate even more is this band that plays on the train. They play from their Iphone, Androids whatever but they are SO annoying. Don't get me wrong, they sound good but its just so friggin annoying after coming from a hard ass day off to have annoying hipsters singing right in your ear. Not that I expect peace and quiet on the train but they just annoy me. I actually found the annoying video, I also hate that guys mustache, but I'm just nit picking at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAllFWSl998
This is beyond ridiculious and annoying, but I guess some find it "very cultural"

Old 12-03-2010, 07:55 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,706 times
oh man i will support a rapper here and there if theyre music is put together, but those people in the subway SMH. makes me want to move. but thank goodnes i dont go anywhere without the headphones

headphones are essential, dont be caught without them or youll be shaking your head the whole way to your destination

Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I'd personally rather have to deal with some in your face wannabe rapper for 5 seconds than have to deal with this while waiting for a train after a hard days work....

this
Ugh. What's the point of that? Whoever made a career in music by annoying people on their way home from work? It's so irritating when I'm going home after a long day with a headache, and I suddenly hear the sound of a guitar or drums. It's even worse when it's inside an enclosed subway car. Sometimes if I'm feeling up to it, I'll walk up to them and listen, then leave without giving a dime.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just say no and keep walking.
They are just trying to sell their product like every other street vendor.
Why not complain at the lady that sells icy's or the AVON people??
Are you talking about Coquito lady's with the carriages with like 4-6 types of iceys? First off, they don't bother you. I never have a problem with them, they're not all up in your face. The Avon people can be a little annoying but the rappers are the worst. Of course I've learned the art of walking away and keeping it moving long ago.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Oh my god. Sometimes I just want to go up to them and just throw the boxes of candies all over the place. I know that's being harsh but its true-they think by selling candy they it'll give them some sort of street cred and once they become or if they become a rapper, they can brag about their "hustles". It pisses me off the dignity they don't have. There's no shame in aiming higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City