Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,435,979 times

Advertisements

i guess i got that look where people tend to walk away from me and not try to sell me something

you have the same people there in LA and Chicago or Maimi trying to hustle you for money or some other product..

at one gas station i go to i get hit with them trying to sell something before i even get out of the car with them standing right beside the car door ..so i have stoped going to the gas station where they stand around on friday and sats nights trying to sell you something ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,243,123 times
There are Avon ladies on the street? What, do they throw lipstick at you?

I can't stand those annoying wannabe rappers or the tumbling kids in the subway. I don't care about your hustle as long as it doesn't invade my personal space.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,121,144 times
The rappers are all over Vegas, too, with the same scam -- Block your path on The Strip, put a CD in your hand then get indignant when you won't pay them $10.

We don't have that much in Houston -- at least not anywhere I've gone. Here, people are less industrious. They just beg for money.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM

228 posts, read 482,698 times
Man, you people need to lighten up a bit. It's pretty sad how bitter and angry some of you sound.

With all of your exaggerations aside (such as the so-called 80% of "aspiring rappers" carrying guns), it's pretty easy to avoid the unwanted attention of someone trying to sell you something. Simply ignore it and walk away. It's THAT easy. It's pretty rare for someone to continually pester you if you are ignoring them entirely when there are hundreds of other potential money donors walking by every minute.

As far as music in subway stations and on the subway cars themselves: Yes, I understand that some of it may not be the most tasteful, but my god some of you people seem like year-round grinches. I couldn't think of a better way to lighten up the bleak and lifeless subway stations and cars than to have 3 happy Hispanic men come in out of nowhere and perform a traditional Mariachi song in the middle of my ride into/out of the city. Oh wait, actually I can think of a better way to bring some life to the otherwise dull and soul-less subways: How about putting up some actual art instead of bombarding everyone with thousands of disgusting and visually-polluting advertisements, but none of you seem to complain about that.

If you can't deal with a few people playing music, promoting a CD, or begging for spare change then there are many solutions. You could always switch to a quieter car, avoid the crowded subways entirely, or......drumroll please.....: How about moving out of the most densely populated city in the United States. The less grumpy and angry faces the rest of us have to see, the better the energy is as a whole.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM

810 posts, read 834,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
With all of your exaggerations aside (such as the so-called 80% of "aspiring rappers" carrying guns)
They be getting their CDs the same places they get their gun. The vast majority of these aspiring rappers in this city are gangbangers along with their crews. When one of gets a multi-million dollar deal they take care of their homies, putting them as security making six figure salaries.

Quote:
Simply ignore it and walk away. It's THAT easy.
Not when they get on your face and block the way, and when it happens multiple times how can you tolerate that?

Quote:
As far as music in subway stations and on the subway cars themselves: Yes, I understand that some of it may not be the most tasteful, but my god some of you people seem like year-round grinches.
No, its those people who are the grinches. After a hard day of work you dont want some peace, not contant hustlin taking the train back home. Especially when you see a bulky grown man asking frail little grandmothers for money if they cant get it they will go back to prison. Its like, they have no self control, and if something happens its because of us and not themselves.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 959,228 times
Ugh. Yeah, they're annoying. I humor them though. I actually have a few of their CDs laying around. They always ask for like $10, I give 'em like $2. I gave a guy a couple dollars and some change once near the Empire State Building ("You got me looking like a fiend out here!" was his quote, lolol). I do it just cause. Usually the CDs are pretty funny for all the wrong reasons. Besides I tend to give beggars money here and there anyway so I figure what's the huge difference? At least I get some entertainment out of this.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:25 AM

244 posts, read 628,456 times
Tell me about it, the first time I was in NYC, I bumped into a ''rapper'' who handed me a FREE CD in my hands, then he said ''yo man a little support please, just a dollar to help me''. I'm like sure, here's a dollar.

''No no man thanks but how bout $2, would help''
- Fine here's $2.
''Thanks man, but im sure yo can go up more than that''

Suddenly all his gypsy friends come after me when I took out the green all handing me CDs.

- I kept $3 in my hands, gave that ******* another $2 for his CD and said **** this. Believe it or not, the others TOOK BACK their CDs they had GIVEN me LOL!

Jerkoffs, now I stay away or simply walk straight and don't pay attention.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:31 AM

746 posts, read 1,674,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
That is the stupidest video I have seen in awhile. Sh*t like this really annoys me. I understand they're trying so hard to be hip, but it has the opposite effect.
People use the trains for a reason, and one of those reasons is not to listen to retarded pseudo hipsters with bad facial hair.
Just my .02, but something like this would p*ss me off royally.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Not when they get on your face and block the way, and when it happens multiple times how can you tolerate that?
Which means what? That you allow someone to do that to you? I know I don't! If I don't want to buy whatever it is you're trying to push at me, I'm not buying it. You can be as loud and obnoxious--and act as offended--as you like. But in the end, you're going to have to aim your sales pitch at someone else.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:02 AM

327 posts, read 703,665 times
they threat two russian tourists and they kissed the sidewalk,you playing with the russian bear you leave with broken bones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City