U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM

5,049 posts, read 11,106,650 times
Washington Heights is filthy and drug-ridden but it's made incredible strides with it's violent crime rate. The crime rate is about the city average and almost all the crime in the area involve people in the drug game.

Bed-Stuy has one of the highest violent crime rates period.

You decide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 02:25 PM

121 posts, read 224,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Washington Heights is filthy and drug-ridden but it's made incredible strides with it's violent crime rate. The crime rate is about the city average and almost all the crime in the area involve people in the drug game.

Bed-Stuy has one of the highest violent crime rates period.

You decide.
i would rather choose bed stuy it's much much cheaper and atlest i know what i'm getting myself into. most of the apartments in wash heights ate 1000+ with a disgusting rodent problem. so i'll be paying atleast 300 dollars less in bed stuy

Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 PM

971 posts, read 798,738 times
washington heights!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:51 PM

863 posts, read 1,021,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
"i used to live by wadsworth for about 4 months and it was safe except for the drug activity. but besides that it's safe."
Drug activity = safe nowadays?. Wow, standards of good living have really sunk to an all time low.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 PM

121 posts, read 224,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Drug activity = safe nowadays?. Wow, standards of good living have really sunk to an all time low.
safe for me because i never got involed in the drug activity, so for those who don't get involved it's safe, for those who do well it doesnt end so well. overall washington heights is okay if you mind your business. but to be honest i'd rather live in bed stuy it's almost the same except a lot less money.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 PM

63 posts, read 81,838 times
i decided against bed stuy!! i went there after dark at like 6pm and too many guys were hollering at me and a group of black men were walking together in front of me and noticed i was walking behind them and they all began to talk about what i was doing there, if i lived ther or what... and there are sooo many projects near by... and i spoke to a cop in dunkin donuts by the train and askd his advice and he said no way do not live there

as for wash heights... i went there after dark as well and i felt muuuch safer than bed stuy... i did feel out of place a little as i passed broadway and got on closer to the apt cuz alot of ppl were speaking spanish... but no one seemed to be paying attention to me. as for the rodent/bug situation... the particular apt im looking at is in the basement and was incredibly clean and Ill be the first person to live in the apt since they turned the basement into 3 seperate apts... im telling u it was sooo clean.... so im not worried about that in my building but thank u for the advice... i really like hearing different points of view

Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 PM

o sorry forgot to mention i decided to look a little more tomorrow... i have to decide tomorrow tho.. but wash heights is still an option in my mind... if its mainly drug problems and the area has the average crime rate of the whole city im not too worried

Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,131,370 times
I'm decided you decided to take a bit more time. As I've said many many times, I live in Washington Heights in a great building and have never had a problem with rats, roaches, crime or drugs. However, I do know that those problems exist. Before you sign a lease in any building, check the violations:
HPD - Home

And do not ever take a basement apartment. Vermin in NYC are a given and basement apartments are nearly impossible to keep pest-free.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM

7,904 posts, read 9,965,169 times
Basement apartments are often illegal. Be sure the apartment is legal- has the correct number of external doors & windows to be safe in the event of a fire.

Higher floors are usually quieter and have less bug
problems.

Also, for general safety precautions, basements or ground level apartments are NOT a good place for single females- too easy for someone to follow you in or break in and rape or assault you or just break-in and steal things in general.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Thank u all for the info... Unfortunately i think im going to go w the wash heights apt... All the places i can afford r in bad areas n wash heights seems the best... I have a big dog so a roommate is hard to find.... Considering wash heights is just at the average nyc crime rate it cant be that bad... Crima rate is the same as uws etc just more drug crime... Hopefully ill b fine. Thank u again. If u have any advice as far as tips to stay safe in the area would b great. I kno pepper spray, dont walk alone late at night... But shud i acknowledge people say hi like i normally would in TX if the person was looking at me or just mind my own biz? Can i talk on my cell to and from the subway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City