U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 AM

2,105 posts, read 2,488,531 times
Default E. 149th Street & 3rd Ave (South Bronx)

My new job has me working in the South Bronx for the first time. One thing that's interesting is how quick it is to get there from Midtown Manhattan. The other is that it looks like time stood still there sometime in the 80s. On the one hand it's sad that this part of the City did not see the wave of improvements that we've seen in other lower income areas (i.e., Harlem, parts of Brooklyn) but on the other hand, it hasn't gentrified at all, leaving an affordable place for lower income people.
Is anyone else familiar with this area? What are its prospects for new business and development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 AM

442 posts, read 677,934 times
i work in hunts point. the bronx isnt as bad as people make it seem good luck at your new job

Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,865,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
My new job has me working in the South Bronx for the first time. One thing that's interesting is how quick it is to get there from Midtown Manhattan. The other is that it looks like time stood still there sometime in the 80s. On the one hand it's sad that this part of the City did not see the wave of improvements that we've seen in other lower income areas (i.e., Harlem, parts of Brooklyn) but on the other hand, it hasn't gentrified at all, leaving an affordable place for lower income people.
Is anyone else familiar with this area? What are its prospects for new business and development?
That's the HUB! I was under the impression the place was worse 20 years ago.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That's the HUB! I was under the impression the place was worse 20 years ago.
No doubt it is better but it's lagging way behind other areas. I don't feel unsafe there but the most obvious sign of no progress is the prevalence of fast food joints and really bad "dollar" stores.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM

121 posts, read 223,992 times
i grew up in that area but don't live there anymore and to me it's okay, it's not that bad and not that good. mostly a lot of hispanics like myself.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,865,868 times
Quote:
No doubt it is better but it's lagging way behind other areas. I don't feel unsafe there but the most obvious sign of no progress is the prevalence of fast food joints and really bad "dollar" stores.
Yep! That's the HUB. If you like Mondongo, the Cuchifrito place on 3rd serves it well. As you said it's a quick run on the 2 or 5 from midtown and it's served by many bus lines. There is also a large police presence. Some sort of discount designer department store opened up in the area but it's a long way from having a Century 21. The place does have potential. Just stay away from Lincoln hospital. Horrible medical care.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Yep! That's the HUB. If you like Mondongo, the Cuchifrito place on 3rd serves it well. As you said it's a quick run on the 2 or 5 from midtown and it's served by many bus lines. There is also a large police presence. Some sort of discount designer department store opened up in the area but it's a long way from having a Century 21. The place does have potential. Just stay away from Lincoln hospital. Horrible medical care.
What's Mondongo?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 PM

121 posts, read 223,992 times
Quote:
What's Mondongo?
pig stomach/intestines

Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
pig stomach/intestines
hmm, i don't think so.
is there a good place to get pernil?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 PM

731 posts, read 1,204,497 times
Yep, there are some cuchifrito joints on 149th St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City