U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 36,139 times

Advertisements

I recently received a letter of complaint followed by one of those letters telling me to go schedule an appointment for an inspection. The complaint stated that I had converted my home into a multi room rental unit. Here are a few details to be noted.

- I do have multiple rooms in the basement, a party room, a guest bedroom, a living room(with a sink and fridge but no stove), a bathroom.

- My son resides down there and he does not pay rent, I simply don't have the space in the first floor for him.

- I have several CO monitors installed in the basement to be safe.

- There is both a front and back egress point in the event of a fire.

All above information is absolute fact. I understand that in NYC if you ignore the complaint long enough it just goes away, "Never let them in the house". I would like to know however that in the event they somehow obtain a warrant, what is one allowed to legally have in a basement.

I live in Flushing, NY and it is a legal 2 family home with a basement. Also none of the above mentioned rooms is on the blueprints or CO.

Also, if it is found to be illegal what steps can I take to legalize it.

Many thanks in advance to everyone who posts to help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,382,849 times
There is no need to have several CO monitors in the basement. One on each level of the house is enough.

You need to relax, they aren't going to execute a warrant
and knock your door off it's hinges. You are not going to have to legalize anything if you don't let the inspector in.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM

982 posts, read 3,975,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
There is no need to have several CO monitors in the basement. One on each level of the house is enough.

You need to relax, they aren't going to execute a warrant
and knock your door off it's hinges. You are not going to have to legalize anything if you don't let the inspector in.
^^^This. Make sure everyone in the house understands your rights regarding letting the DOB in. Also pertains to FDNY. Not obligated to let them for routine inspections. I'd be more concerned about who turned you in. That's pretty unneighborly considering it's just your son.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 36,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
^^^This. Make sure everyone in the house understands your rights regarding letting the DOB in. Also pertains to FDNY. Not obligated to let them for routine inspections. I'd be more concerned about who turned you in. That's pretty unneighborly considering it's just your son.
Thanks for your help on that. We also told the tenants in the second floor not to let them in, should we deny being the owners if we answer the door and it's them? My friend told me they can't press it if you aren't the owner.

I guess it's just pointless threats to scare you then. Also, one of my friends said something about getting a letter in red paper and it meaning seriousness. Is there anything like that? Also thanks about the CO monitor thing, it's mostly for precautionary, we only have one in the boiler room and one in his room now.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 PM

982 posts, read 3,975,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPlayer2486 View Post
Thanks for your help on that. We also told the tenants in the second floor not to let them in, should we deny being the owners if we answer the door and it's them? My friend told me they can't press it if you aren't the owner.
Don't know if it matters but it's certainly a healthy attitude toward authority in it's official capacity when you are the person of interest not to give any information.
It's been said elsewhere here that DOB investigates a random anonymous complaint twice and then closes it out as unsubstantiated or non existent.
I've never seen a red paper letter.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM

8,750 posts, read 16,097,534 times
DO NOT LET ANY OF THEM INTO YOUR HOME. EVER. I had a DOB inspection on my building which was initiated by Con-Edision. They believed I had an illegal oil-to-gas conversion in my building due to a change in normal gas usage. The came once and left a scary note with all kinds of warnings/penalties. I did not call. They came one or two more times, and again, never let them in (because nobody is home). I checked online and they closed the case "due to not being able to access." The end.

My advice: Don't ever, ever, never, ever, let anyone into your building under any circumstances. Let them get a warrant if it is that important...and they never will. You have nothing to worry about..just ignore it and make sure nobody lets them in no matter what they say/threaten.

I also used to have doorbells in my building, but due to solicitations and church's constantly bothering you at all hours, I had them disconnected. I never get disturbed anymore, and neither do my tenants. Everyone has a cell phone, so they simply call me when they are outside so I never have to deal with anyone, like an inspector, that I don't want to.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:34 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,779,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
DO NOT LET ANY OF THEM INTO YOUR HOME. EVER. I had a DOB inspection on my building which was initiated by Con-Edision. They believed I had an illegal oil-to-gas conversion in my building due to a change in normal gas usage. The came once and left a scary note with all kinds of warnings/penalties. I did not call. They came one or two more times, and again, never let them in (because nobody is home). I checked online and they closed the case "due to not being able to access." The end.

My advice: Don't ever, ever, never, ever, let anyone into your building under any circumstances. Let them get a warrant if it is that important...and they never will. You have nothing to worry about..just ignore it and make sure nobody lets them in no matter what they say/threaten.

I also used to have doorbells in my building, but due to solicitations and church's constantly bothering you at all hours, I had them disconnected. I never get disturbed anymore, and neither do my tenants. Everyone has a cell phone, so they simply call me when they are outside so I never have to deal with anyone, like an inspector, that I don't want to.
Agreed! I was going to say in order for anyone to LEGALLY come in and investigate, they always need a Court order.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:46 PM

175 posts, read 481,305 times
I wish my 88-year-old FIL had listened to us...he let the inspector in and got slapped with $8,000 in fines for an old kitchen in his basement that he never used. Would love to know who called it in, because he never told anyone it was there. Old man on a fixed income having to deal with that crap was ridiculous. He went to plead his case and got absolutely no mercy. Don't let them in!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 62,167 times
Just to back up that "they'll only come a couple of times and then close the complaint" point: I've looked up a few buildings in my neighborhood for various reasons over the years on the DOB website. You can put in any address and see the records, the COO, etc. Several times I've seen complaints listed for a building, and records indicating that inspectors went a couple of times and either no one answered or someone denied access. And then, "complaint closed".

Old 12-10-2010, 02:12 PM

43 posts, read 71,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsalex View Post
I wish my 88-year-old FIL had listened to us...he let the inspector in and got slapped with $8,000 in fines for an old kitchen in his basement that he never used. Would love to know who called it in, because he never told anyone it was there. Old man on a fixed income having to deal with that crap was ridiculous. He went to plead his case and got absolutely no mercy. Don't let them in!!!
"We are from the government, and we are here to help you"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City