Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM

228 posts, read 483,111 times

Advertisements

Expell the from the school and give them probation or house arrest.

The last thing we need is to let a child molester go free in order to make room for these guys in our already disgustingly over-crowded jails.

As far as i'm concerned, as long as none of their clients were being forced to take drugs then what the hell does it matter? It's ridiculous how much money we waste fighting something that we will NEVER win. In fact drug use has only gone up over the years despite us throwing away billions of dollars to try and fight it.

Let people make their own decisions, as long as they aren't forcefully physically harming anyone else.

As far as the drug dealer who wanted to kidnap another drug dealer and force-feed him LSD, well obviously he was intending to do physical harm, so yes he should get jail time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You'd think that a Columbia University student might have come up with something more intelligent than "we needed the money." Well...you go to college to learn things. Expulsion should be an important part of the learning process for this wonderful example of America's future.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You'd think that a Columbia University student might have come up with something more intelligent than "we needed the money." Well...you go to college to learn things. Expulsion should be an important part of the learning process for this wonderful example of America's future.
my thoughts exactly, what a dumb excuse

Hopefully they will be expelled. I don't think they should be treated differently than any other drug dealer just cause they were Columbia University students.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
As far as i'm concerned, as long as none of their clients were being forced to take drugs then what the hell does it matter?
It matters to the 80 year old lady who was mugged for her social security check to support some dope fiend's habit

It matters to the family of the livery driver who was murdered for $50 so some addict could get a fix

It matters to the neighborhoods that have been destroyed by drug dealers

It matters to the baby who was born addicted to drugs because his/her drug addict mother couldn't stop using while she was pregnant

Drug dealing/drug use is NOT a "victimless" crime as you're making it out to be.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:22 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
just a question for y'all folks who think we'd be better off with legalized drugs: once its philip morris or lorillard or pfizer or merck doing the selling, what do you think that the desperate, poor, hardened and hopeless young men in the 'hood will do -- sign up to work at mickey d's? i think not. legalization opens up a whole other can of worms, the biggest is that when you get rid of the way some folks make their living, there's gonna be trouble.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
just a question for y'all folks who think we'd be better off with legalized drugs: once its philip morris or lorillard or pfizer or merck doing the selling, what do you think that the desperate, poor, hardened and hopeless young men in the 'hood will do -- sign up to work at mickey d's? i think not. legalization opens up a whole other can of worms, the biggest is that when you get rid of the way some folks make their living, there's gonna be trouble.
Oh, woe is them. Let everyone else deal with the consequences of drug dealing just so that these "young men in the hood" won't have to wake up and get real, honest jobs.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
uh, i think that if a lot of these folks could've gotten "real, honest jobs" then they would have already. there is among many (but not all) of them a major-league aliention from the mainstream. all i'm saying is that if your'e out of the street life/drug thing and out of the mainstream too, that could leave you with nothing to do and nowhere to go. the most dangerous man is the one with nothing to lose, and there would be many of these men out there.

i can see both sides to legalize/not legalize. but i dont think people think of all the consequences either way. personally i think drug use (and selling) is a symptom of a bigger disease in this country. but i know sometime all you can do with a disease is treat the symptoms, not cure it.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM

43 posts, read 85,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yesterday five kids get arrested at Columbia for drug-dealing, selling pot, LSD, coke. etc from near their frat houses. Two of them, I read, say "we needed the tuition money." Another was in cahoots wth his own delaer downtwon on the LES who wanted to kidnap and murder a rival dealer by giving him a huge dose of acid.

A slap on the wrist? (This is New York, so no big deal)

Throw the book at them? (They did the crime so do the time)

Throw the book at the cops/prosecutors (We got REAL criminals around so why bother with them?)

Something in between?

Just curious. Personally I think they should drop the drug charges and throw the book at them for being so incredibly stupid. I mean this is the Ivy League, after all. They're supposed to be smart kids. But I wonder if they thought that being in the big city made them think that they were immune to getting caught, that they city would provide some sort of "cover" for them because they seemed to be only, at best. mid-level drug dealers.
It all depends. If they were not violent or part of a gang and just trying to pay for the hugely expensive tuition and books, then they should get probation, or possibly a fine. Saddling these people who are not even yet in the workforce with criminal records would eliminate their opportunities to get real work, and they will turn their talents and skill to white collar crime for the rest of their lives.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM

43 posts, read 85,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
It matters to the 80 year old lady who was mugged for her social security check to support some dope fiend's habit

It matters to the family of the livery driver who was murdered for $50 so some addict could get a fix

It matters to the neighborhoods that have been destroyed by drug dealers

It matters to the baby who was born addicted to drugs because his/her drug addict mother couldn't stop using while she was pregnant

Drug dealing/drug use is NOT a "victimless" crime as you're making it out to be.
These things are not the fault of drug dealers but government because it is the government that creates a black-market. Drugs, like alcohol, should be legalized and regulated, combined with taxation and treatment programs.

The war on drugs is a failure (just like prohibition didn't work), but no politician has the political will to say so.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:19 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
It's like Hurricane Katrina. Don't you know only "Tyrone" was looting. Little "Katelyn" was just trying to feed herself.
Hell, let their azzes serve time like any other drug dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City