Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 PM

127 posts, read 633,708 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're about to sign a lease for an apartment in Astoria. It's in a small apartment building, 6-8 units or so. My parents lived in apartments in Queens 20-some-odd years ago and always talk about how there were always pest problems (roaches, etc.) Obviously, I've seen the place, and haven't seen any evidence of pest problems, but you never know what's hiding in the walls, etc.

M parents seem to be of the opinion that every apartment building in a place like Queens has problems with bugs, and that I should ask the landlord about it, and whether they exterminate regularly. As somebody who's never lived in an apartment nor within the city limits, I thought I'd ask you folks: how common are pest problems in apartment buildings? Is it a common practice for landlords to exterminate regularly, or will the landlord think I'm on crack for asking such a question?

Thanks,
Martin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,777,185 times
Buildings In NYC will have bugs. The older they are the more common. The trick is to be very clean. Since your neighbors are NOT. It won't prevent them completely, but at least your walls won't move. You will see very little.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,978,148 times
Default The world of NYC vermin 101

There are mad bugs in projects, tenements and co-ops. The pests have only multiplied since incinerators were banned during the late 1980's and now rubbish is stored in those buildings for collection and that makes the various roaches, mice and rats very happy.

You better get used to roach city. They even have a catchy Spanish song that everyone in those buildings can recite by heart. We all know the words well. The roaches are nocturnal creatures. Everytime you wake up in the middle of the night and pop on the lights the roaches scatter in every direction back to their concealed nests. The little creepers love to much on your food and crawl on your stove. Cupboard raids are a specialty. Your only defense is to keep it clean and get a cat that eats bugs.

Check the pet policy as this is key. The buildings that ban cats have the worst pest issues. Those co-op boards do not understand how to control vermin and have kept the vermins natural enemies out of the buildings ecosystem, thus allowing vermin multiplication.

The rodents and roaches run rampant and get into all of your foodstuffs. The roaches are near impossible to eradicate since there is always a dirty neighbor downstairs or some Oriental whose religion demands that they protect the roaches. These people make it hard on the other tenents by feeding the vermin issue. Every time the roaches get in your food you will curse these people.

The mice/rats are easier to fight. They are more of a winter pest, or if construction is nearby they seem to seek refuge in homes and buildings. You have to set up a rodent mine field complete with traps and poison. You will need to decide now on how to dispose of the rodent after trapped. You can go for the blunt trauma smash up, the cruel let them die stuck to the trap while in the trash or the old slice off the head. You are judge, juror and executioner in your own rodent fascist dictatorship.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:13 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,777,185 times
Good post.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 AM

201 posts, read 1,279,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
There are mad bugs in projects, tenements and co-ops. The pests have only multiplied since incinerators were banned during the late 1980's and now rubbish is stored in those buildings for collection and that makes the various roaches, mice and rats very happy.

You better get used to roach city. They even have a catchy Spanish song that everyone in those buildings can recite by heart. We all know the words well. The roaches are nocturnal creatures. Everytime you wake up in the middle of the night and pop on the lights the roaches scatter in every direction back to their concealed nests. The little creepers love to much on your food and crawl on your stove. Cupboard raids are a specialty. Your only defense is to keep it clean and get a cat that eats bugs.

Check the pet policy as this is key. The buildings that ban cats have the worst pest issues. Those co-op boards do not understand how to control vermin and have kept the vermins natural enemies out of the buildings ecosystem, thus allowing vermin multiplication.

The rodents and roaches run rampant and get into all of your foodstuffs. The roaches are near impossible to eradicate since there is always a dirty neighbor downstairs or some Oriental whose religion demands that they protect the roaches. These people make it hard on the other tenents by feeding the vermin issue. Every time the roaches get in your food you will curse these people.

The mice/rats are easier to fight. They are more of a winter pest, or if construction is nearby they seem to seek refuge in homes and buildings. You have to set up a rodent mine field complete with traps and poison. [b]You will need to decide now on how to dispose of the rodent after trapped. You can go for the blunt trauma smash up, the cruel let them die stuck to the trap while in the trash or the old slice off the head. You are judge, juror and executioner in your own rodent fascist dictatorship.[/b[
hahahahahah!!!! That was one of the most entertaining posts ive seen in a while.
BTW, I prefer the torture method. *Evil Laugh*
Who do those bastards think they are in my house!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,638,097 times
Agreed with everyone.....Roaches in NYC are like BeBe's Kids....they don't die, they multiply!!!!! Gotta keep your apartment clean, especially your kitchen and bathroom!

I know this sounds cruel, but I wanna see them in them luxury condos! Folk up in there are in for a ruuuuude awakening!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,013,773 times
The bug you should really be worried about is the bedbug and not the cockroach.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,844,738 times
Just so you know, bugs aren't inevitable. I haven't seen a cockroach or other insect life in my apartment in the entire four years I've lived here.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 PM

54 posts, read 372,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Just so you know, bugs aren't inevitable. I haven't seen a cockroach or other insect life in my apartment in the entire four years I've lived here.
I'm on the same boat with Viralmd. My apartment does not have roaches either.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:15 AM

314 posts, read 488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The bug you should really be worried about is the bedbug and not the cockroach.
this is very true...don't overlook bedbugs. my friend was a housing inspector for the city, and he always said that bedbugs were a big problem. another friend lived in astoria, and she had a bug problem in her building. but, it had more to do with the 8 africans sharing in a studio in the floor below than the building itself. before moving, LOOK AT WHO YOUR NEIGHBORS WILL BE. if you're living with a bunch of afro or asian natives, they will have different cleanliness standards than you. their lower standards will affect your living experience. also, don't be afraid to call 311 on a scumbag landlord who refuses to address a problem. everyone deals with the occassional roach, bug, even mouse, but excessive occurrences are code violations. report it. that landlord isn't there doing you any favors...he's already overcharging your rent by 75%, screw him if he doesn't like being reported for his negligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City