U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 PM

6,839 posts, read 6,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
its quiet on this side...you'll have no reason to cross linden boulevard, which is where the projects are....even going to the movies over there isnt so bad, ive done it plenty of times before. only thing is that its a long walk to the A train from there, but this side of ENY is actually pretty quiet. i dont know what kind of reputation the plaza has, but i have never heard of those buildings being particularly dangerous. you should be ok.
yea the area is fine but louis h pink is probably one of the worst housing projects crime wise in the city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 PM

10,153 posts, read 18,053,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
Yes. It is directly across from the movie theater. So this part of ENY isnt as bad as the rest. I had heard that the Cypress Hills area was nice. This area doesnt seem nice in regards to the scenary but it looks calm. Transportation sucks though. I see the nearest train is the A train at Grant Avenue. The good thing about that is that they have a municipal parking lot so I guess I can drive into the station and take the train into Manhattan, although Im not sure about the long ride on the A train. Is it safe to park your car at this parking lot?
yeah parking is safe there....as long as your car isnt high on a car thief's list....they break into cars around there on occasion. the safest place to park around there is on pitkin ave. its safer for your car and you'll save money. i used to drive to grant avenue all the time to take the train and i parked on pitkin avenue. never had a problem. or sometimes i would park closer to 80-hudson, or even 88-boyd by the cemetery.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM

10,153 posts, read 18,053,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea the area is fine but louis h pink is probably one of the worst housing projects crime wise in the city.
nobody ever denied that....but linden boulevard does act as a big buffer. so it helps some.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,023,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
During the day I think its pretty calm though - I only heard things about that area late in the night. If he or she is already home by then the area will be good for the time they're there for. I don't think any one would really want to stay there the rest of their lives. But for the time being it'll probably have to do.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,779 times
Yes, Seventh Floor, I assumed that Linden Blvd acted as a divider btwn the projects and the other residential side. I most likely wont be on Linden Blvd anway, except perhaps one day if take the express bus into Manhattan, because the walk to Grant Av Station seems quite long, although I can always drive there and park at the parking facility there. Is there a monthly fee to park there? Is the overall area difficult with parking bcuz many people drive to the train station?

Hopefully the development provides things like security in the building, parking garage, and laundry services. Better yet maybe even a washer/dryer in the units. Has anyone else applied to this affordable housing development?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 PM
mfe

5 posts, read 6,790 times
we are also being interviewed for 1490 dumont. we cannot make up our minds as to whether the area is safe or not. we have a newborn baby girl. i grew up in east new york (fulton and barbey st) but have been in manhattan for the past 10years. im kinda scared to go back!!

id feel alot better if the apartments had a doorman.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:51 AM

2,901 posts, read 4,521,037 times
Doorman in ENY?

I'm not sure why, but that's a bit of a giggle!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 AM

11,064 posts, read 10,377,337 times
I've been to HOLLIS, Queens, and it's lovely

Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM

2,901 posts, read 4,521,037 times
Oh, and so is "affordable housing" and "doorman".

So, we're talking,

Affodrable, East New York, AND Doorman....

Hmmmm....the tax payers are supposed to subsidize your living?

Liberal Obamamite, right?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 AM

2,750 posts, read 3,261,126 times
In reference to the comment about Pitkin being safe I don't know about that... I used to live on Pitkin between Jerome and Warwick and that area always had broken glass on the floor... they would steal a piece of paper if you left it in the car...

I will give you that ENY is alot better than the 80s and 90s but it's still pretty bad and Pitkin at least by where I used to live remains a hotspot... You gotta understand that Pitkin runs all the way down to Woodhaven so maybe where you park your car is already in Queens but the Brooklyn side of it is not so nice...

To the OP that area has never really been a hotspot in ENY but that being said even the area by Starrett City (which is the nicest part of ENY not Cypress Hills) has shady parts... the part where you're at is probably right around the middle of the pack in ENY in terms of safety... Just be cautious about your surroundings and be street smart... Again more than likely... you won't find too many problems in the area but in a neighborhood like this you always have to take precaution...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City