U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM
 
759 posts, read 1,814,153 times
Reputation: 363

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Woah, I disagree. Hunts point reputation of junkies, prostitutes, and crime far outweigh it's almost non-existent rep of being industrial. The closest it's fame gets it to industrial is the fact that people know it as being a desolate and bleak place. Hunts point stood for everything that was wrong with the south Bronx. It's easily the neighborhood with the worst rep in the Bronx.
I totally disagree.

First, I´m talking reality, not reputation or stereotypes. In reality, Hunts Point is industrial and doesn´t have much crime.

Second, I thought when talking crime, we´re talking safety and violent crime (shooting, muggings, etc.).

Prostitution has nothing to do with safety. Yes, Hunts Point has a rep for hookers, but they´re not in the residential part anyways. You can only see them if you´re looking for them.

If Hunts Point were dangerous, there wouldn´t be prostitution anyways. Hookers wouldn´t be there, and their Johns wouldn´t visit.

Hunts Point doesn´t have lots of shootings or anything like that. And it definitely doesn´t have the worst rep in the Bronx.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,724 posts, read 18,937,093 times
Reputation: 2327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I totally disagree.

First, I´m talking reality, not reputation or stereotypes. In reality, Hunts Point is industrial and doesn´t have much crime.

Second, I thought when talking crime, we´re talking safety and violent crime (shooting, muggings, etc.).

Prostitution has nothing to do with safety. Yes, Hunts Point has a rep for hookers, but they´re not in the residential part anyways. You can only see them if you´re looking for them.

If Hunts Point were dangerous, there wouldn´t be prostitution anyways. Hookers wouldn´t be there, and their Johns wouldn´t visit.

Hunts Point doesn´t have lots of shootings or anything like that. And it definitely doesn´t have the worst rep in the Bronx.
It has the highest assault rate in the city. If it were it's own city, it would be in the top 5 in the entire US.

Violent Crime rates 2009 NYC:

1. 73rd - 13.6 - Brownsville
2. 41st - 13.3 - Hunts Point (south Bronx)
3. 40th - 10.1 - Mott Haven (south Bronx)
4. 28th - 9.6 - Central Harlem (lower)
5. 79th - 9.5 - Bed-Stuy (western)
6. 48th - 9.3 - East Tremont/West Farms
7. 25th - 9.1 - East Harlem (upper)
8. 81st - 8.9 - Bed-Stuy (eastern)
9. 75th - 8.2 - East NY
10. 42nd - 8.0 - Morrisania (south Bronx)
11. 103rd - 7.8 - Jamaica (40's)
12. 32nd - 7.7 - Central Harlem (upper)
t13. 44th - 7.1 - Highbridge
t13. 83rd - 7.1 - Bushwick
t14. 46th - 7.0 - Morris Heights-Fordham (lower)
t14. 52nd -7.0 University Heights - Fordham (upper)
15. 30th - 6.9 - West Harlem (upper)
t16. 26th - 6.3 - West Harlem (lower)
t16. 71st - 6.3 - Crown Heights (lower)
t16. 88th - 6.3 - Clinton Hill
t16. 84th - 6.3 - Downton Brooklyn
17. 43rd - 6.1 - Soundview

Map of New York City Police Stops - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

If Hunts Point is not dangerous, then nowhere in the city is.

But I think I am misunderstanding you, because no one in their right mind would seriously say Hunts Point is safe and that no shootings happen there.

Are you saying the industrial section of the point isn't bad? Specifically, the areas with the factories, warehouses etc? If so, I can understand where you would say it's not dangerous. But remember, there are few residential spots also. These residential blocks are some of the highest crime blocks in the city.

Is this what you meant?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
 
759 posts, read 1,814,153 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It has the highest assault rate in the city. If it were it's own city, it would be in the top 5 in the entire US.

If Hunts Point is not dangerous, then nowhere in the city is.
No, this is completely false.

First thing, there is no Hunts Point precient. It includes other neighborhoods. So there´s no such thing as a Hunts Point crime rate.

Second, and MUCH more important, precients don´t have equal populations. There is a precient with a population of 0 (Central Park) and precients with well over 150,000 residents. Therefore, there is no possible way to compare crime rates between precients.

Third, one cannot compare individual precients to other cities, because (1) Different cities have different definitions of crime and (2) As previously discussed, precients vary based on population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
But I think I am misunderstanding you, because no one in their right mind would seriously say Hunts Point is safe and that no shootings happen there.
That´s not what I said. No area on earth has NO crime.

I said that Hunts Point isn´t particularly dangerous, which is true. I assume we are comparing Hunts Point to other tough NYC neighborhoods, not some village in Switzerland.

The Bronx has a lower crime rate than San Francisco and Boston, and Hunts Point has a lower crime rate than many other parts of the Bronx. Your numbers are skewed because Hunts Point has few residents relative to other South Bronx neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Are you saying the industrial section of the point isn't bad? Specifically, the areas with the factories, warehouses etc? If so, I can understand where you would say it's not dangerous. But remember, there are few residential spots also. These residential blocks are some of the highest crime blocks in the city.
Most of Hunts Point is industrial, and has no residents. These areas do not have much crime (and very little violent crime) because you need people to have crime.

The residential portion of Hunts Point is closer to the 6 train and does have crime, but not higher crime than other South Bronx neighborhoods.

Crime-wise, most of the South Bronx neighborhoods are roughly similar in terms of safety. It´s not like Soundview is safer than Hunts Point, or Mott Haven is safer than Morrisania. They are all pretty similar overall.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-12-2010, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,217 posts, read 21,033,734 times
Reputation: 8287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
No, this is completely false.

First thing, there is no Hunts Point precient. It includes other neighborhoods. So there´s no such thing as a Hunts Point crime rate.

Second, and MUCH more important, precients don´t have equal populations. There is a precient with a population of 0 (Central Park) and precients with well over 150,000 residents. Therefore, there is no possible way to compare crime rates between precients.

Third, one cannot compare individual precients to other cities, because (1) Different cities have different definitions of crime and (2) As previously discussed, precients vary based on population.

That´s not what I said. No area on earth has NO crime.

I said that Hunts Point isn´t particularly dangerous, which is true. I assume we are comparing Hunts Point to other tough NYC neighborhoods, not some village in Switzerland.

The Bronx has a lower crime rate than San Francisco and Boston, and Hunts Point has a lower crime rate than many other parts of the Bronx. Your numbers are skewed because Hunts Point has few residents relative to other South Bronx neighborhoods.

Most of Hunts Point is industrial, and has no residents. These areas do not have much crime (and very little violent crime) because you need people to have crime.

The residential portion of Hunts Point is closer to the 6 train and does have crime, but not higher crime than other South Bronx neighborhoods.

Crime-wise, most of the South Bronx neighborhoods are roughly similar in terms of safety. It´s not like Soundview is safer than Hunts Point, or Mott Haven is safer than Morrisania. They are all pretty similar overall.
You gotta understand that the BRonx in the eyes of Supermario is a very taboo subject, I thouoght the Bronx was a taboo subject among transplants but thats slowly becoming less and less by each day. LEts not forget taht Brooklyn precinct in Bedstuy falsefied there numbers they have reported, that precicnt is actually has the most crime if they reported all incidents. Cant believe people still believe NY Times and there kosher sensationalism and yellow journalism, in most cases, they lied about the creation of the Federal Reserve.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-12-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-12-2010, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,217 posts, read 21,033,734 times
Reputation: 8287
Im going to tell you about Hunts point. Its mostly an industrial area. THe only part of Hunts point where people live is along hunts point avenue. Dont know how anyone can live there, thier is no school nearby for little children. As for prostitutes on hunts point not much cant be seen anymore. ITs hey day was back in the 90s, it was NYC unoffical redlight district. Hunts Point became popular for Drag racing during the turn of the century, it replaced prostitution as an illegal activity. Nothing happens in the industrial side of hunts point, truck drivers who ideal and camp in thier trucks find it safe. The only part of Hunts Point is dangerous is by hunts point avenue and hunts point section across the railroad tracks. Look at Hunts point proper it only has seven murder in the past seven years compared to niegborhood of Astoria Queens across the river which has more murders then Hunts point proper. You really have to ask yourself, do you wanna live in an area where the chances are gettting jumped and robbed is great like in the South Bronx or live in an area where the chances are getting murdered and killed is high like in parts of Brooklyn.


http://projects.nytimes.com/crime/homicides/map?hp

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-12-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-13-2010, 08:43 AM
 
8,747 posts, read 17,249,029 times
Reputation: 4168
Hunts point certainly has its challenges, and prostitution is still going on in the more industrial parts due to the nonstop truckers....comes with the territory. It has gotten alot better, and there are active community groups that are literally reshaping it into a greener, safer place, and major new investments have occured (like the Bank Note Building), as well as others on the horizon, like the Crossings development. The Southern Blvd shopping district is greatly improved and their B.I.D (Business Improvement District) has assisted in making the area better with beautiful holiday lights, and cleaner streets, etc.

It is still a higher crime community, but the reality is if you keep your nose clean (don't hang with the drug dealers), and use basic street smarts, you should be fine. I would not recommend Hunts Point to the average person YET, however it is well on its way. I believe once they have a few more developments and greenscapes, it will be a livable community...it is almost there and should be within 5-7 years IMO.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,217 posts, read 21,033,734 times
Reputation: 8287
Baretto Park is nice, has a nice view of the Manhattan Skyline and also a view of Laguardia airport and Rikers Island.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,724 posts, read 18,937,093 times
Reputation: 2327
First, I'd like to say that you're a good poster. I was rooting for you in the general threads on all the NY Vs threads. You defended us pretty good, and for that I am grateful.

Never thought it would come to this, but let's dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
No, this is completely false.

First thing, there is no Hunts Point precient. It includes other neighborhoods. So there´s no such thing as a Hunts Point crime rate.
The only neighborhoods in the 41st precinct are Longwood and Hunts Point. I consider Hunts Point to be the neighborhood below the Bruckner. In contrast, the neighborhood above it, to about E 167th street, is considered Longwood.

According to city data, Hunts Point has a population of 19,117 and Longwood has 27,523 people. These two neighborhoods together make up the 41st precinct. This gives us an approximate precinct population of 46,640. So far this year, assaults are down 4 % in the precinct. I prorated the statistics in 2010 till the end of the year and came up with 388 assaults, as compared to 405 last year. We have the population and the total crime, meaning we can find it's crime rate.

As to the US crime rate. According to the FBI statistics here

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(It's Wikipedia, but the page is cited)

The highest assault rates in 2009 belonged to:

1. Detroit (1,239 per 100,000)
2. St Louis (1,193 per 100,000)
3. Memphis ( 1,109 per 100,000)
4. Baltimore (871 per 100,000)
5. Oakland (857 per 100,000)

The 41st precinct in 2009 had 405 assaults, giving it a rate of 868 per 100,000. So like I said, if it were it's own city, it would have been the 5th highest assault city in the United States. If we take it's 2010 number, it would have finished 6th in 2009. No neighborhood in the city comes close to the 41st precincts assault rate.

If you want robberies, it's rate would be 622 per 100,000. To illustrate how high this is, if it were it's own city in 2009, it would have finished 7th in the country.

In terms of rapes, it will finish with a rate of 43 per 100,000. Again, if it were it's own city, it would finish 7th in the country.

I will admit that it's murder rate isn't high at all (although above national average).

The above is in comparison to cities with 250,000+, in other words, large cities. If you're one who believes that you can't compare cities with different populations then this is how the 41st precinct stacks up with cities with populations between 40,000 - 60,000.

Assaults : 8th out of 337
Robberies: 3rd out of 337

It's rapes and murder rates would rank it lower, but both still make the top 50.

So living in the confines of the 41st precinct would be akin to living in a city in the top 10 in both assaults and robberies. Your chances of being robbed or assaulted here are very very high. Not to mention it's relatively high rape rate and it's above average murder rate.

Quote:
Second, and MUCH more important, precients don´t have equal populations. There is a precient with a population of 0 (Central Park) and precients with well over 150,000 residents. Therefore, there is no possible way to compare crime rates between precients.
Yes, you can compare crime rates. It would not be fair to compare the total number of crimes because obviously higher populations will have a higher number of total crimes. The point of crime rates is to envision both places with the same population (usually per 1,000 or 100,000) and comparing how many of these people would fall victim to crime using it's actual rate. So 20 murders in a population of 300 would create more fatalities if the city was 100,000 strong then a city with 20 murders and 1,000 people. So crime rates definitelty allow us to compare different precincts.


Quote:
Third, one cannot compare individual precients to other cities, because (1) Different cities have different definitions of crime and (2) As previously discussed, precients vary based on population.
We actually can do that. Why can't I not compare Hunts Point, a neighborhood of 46,000 to a city somewhere of 46,000? It's perfectly fine to compare these, and even cities with higher populations using crime rates. Anyways, this is to give you an idea of how high it's rate is...relative to the highest rates found in the country.

Quote:
That´s not what I said. No area on earth has NO crime.
You said that it doesn't have much crime, which is absolutely absurd.

Quote:
I said that Hunts Point isn´t particularly dangerous, which is true. I assume we are comparing Hunts Point to other tough NYC neighborhoods, not some village in Switzerland.
It is very dangerous actually. If we compare it to other hoods in NYC, no hood is going to come close to it's assault and robbery rate. If you think about it, this is what makes a neighborhood crime ridden. Murder rates are largely related to drugs. So if you're a regular Joe Schmo minding your buisness, it's not likely you'll flat out get murdered even in places like New Orleans or Detroit. The people who should be worried about murder rates are drug dealers. Similarly, rapes happen to women for the most part. So if you are a big dude, I don't think rape should be something that worries you. Even with that, Hunts Point's rape rates are very high in comparison to NYC neighborhoods. However, robbery and assaults are the crimes most normal people should worry about. These happen between strangers and can happen to anyone, male, female, black, white, skinny, fat, young or old. It is here that Hunts Point really shines, as it's assault and robberies are astronomically high. If the OP asks, is Hunts Point livable, then unless you consider a neighborhood where you are a target of getting beat up or robbed everytime you step foot outside, then it is not livable. Robbery and Assault are true indicators of a dangerous neighborhood.

Quote:
The Bronx has a lower crime rate than San Francisco and Boston, and Hunts Point has a lower crime rate than many other parts of the Bronx. Your numbers are skewed because Hunts Point has few residents relative to other South Bronx neighborhoods.

Most of Hunts Point is industrial, and has no residents. These areas do not have much crime (and very little violent crime) because you need people to have crime.

The residential portion of Hunts Point is closer to the 6 train and does have crime, but not higher crime than other South Bronx neighborhoods.

Crime-wise, most of the South Bronx neighborhoods are roughly similar in terms of safety. It´s not like Soundview is safer than Hunts Point, or Mott Haven is safer than Morrisania. They are all pretty similar overall.
The entire Bronx is not bad. The Bronx has wonderful safe neighborhoods like Pelham parkway, Pelham Bay, Kingsbridge, Country Club, Riverdale, Throgs Neck etc...so obviously it's going to skew the numbers. If you take just the south BX, then it's just as dangerous as SF and Boston. You cant compare Hunts Point to lets say, Riverdale....which is what you do when you take the entire Bronx. Hunts Point alone, can easily stand up to any city in terms of crime.

The south Bronx neighborhoods are similar, but it is a fact that the highest assault rates are found in Hunts Point. If you go to Mott Haven, the murder rate is higher. Morrisania has high robbery rates and murder rates, so it's like Hunts Point combined with Mott Haven. So while there are similarities, the south Bronx is not uniform in terms of crime. But if we take it's overall violent crime rate, meaning your chance of being any type of crime victim, then yes Hunts Point is worse relative to the rest of the south Bronx.

Also, Hunts Point is a worse neighborhood than Longwood. Any of the Bronx posters here can vouch for me. If you have ever spent time in both places, then you would see there is difference. Hunts Point, which I define below the bruckner, is mainly rehabbed apartment buildings (which are falling apart in many cases) and it is much poorer than Longwood north of it. Longwood, unlike Hunts Point, has been rebuilt from the ground up. If you ever visit the area, you would notice that it is mainly single family homes, that were recently built over the vacant lots that used to stand there. In some parts it looks like the suburbs. The area has been revitalized in ways Hunts Point hasn't. Hunts Point, for whatever reason, maybe the fact that it's isolated, has been ignored for decades. There is a prison there for god's sake. When ever I'm in Hunts Point, I am on guard. I see thugs on every corner hustling, gangs of roaming kids looking to f***k somebody up, or the stick up kids waiting to rob you. It's an absolute mess. I am from the hood myself, but Hunts Point's vibe is just so negative, I don't see the reason for anyone to live there...unless you want endless suply of prostitutes and drugs. One of the ugliest most depressing neighborhoods you can ever find due to it's crumbling tenements, prisons, rehab centers, warehouses and factories.

Some facts:

Hunts Point avg income : $21,537 (47.6% poverty rate).
Longwood avg income: $27,269 ( 42.3% poverty rate)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

The worst part of the 41st precinct is found below the Bruckner, aka Hunts Point. It is in much worse shape than Longwood.

From 2010 articles:

Along with patrol officers, BCS staffers go out to prostitution hot spots, which include Davidson, but also Hunts Point and Boston Road, and talk to prostitutes.

Bronx News Network: Journey into the Heart of Transgender Prostitution in the Bronx

To further emphasize the difference between the two neighborhoods:

Debris-littered lots on Longwood’s western edge had already been redeveloped with two-family homes, and by 1994 blighted stretches of Longwood Avenue were handsomely filled in with rows of government-subsidized two-story red-brick dwellings.

and although prostitution is a problem in Hunts Point

from the same article (which is trying to sell the area nonetheless)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/re.../14Living.html

The son of Dominican immigrants, Pichardo was born in Washington Heights but grew up in Hunts Point, South Bronx, a neighborhood whose concentration of drugs and prostitution was highlighted in a 2002 HBO documentary. After an abbreviated stint at a Florida college, he returned to the Bronx and settled in Concourse Village, home of Yankee Stadium.

U.S. Green Revolution Knocks, but Few Answer in South Bronx - NYTimes.com

This should be obvious by now. The fact remains that Hunts Point is a crime filled, prostitution heavy, drug ridden, low income neighborhood which is currently struggling.

And yes it has the worst reputation of any Bronx hood. If you want I can bring up articles from the 70's to 90's.

Remember, you're talking to someone who lives in the Bronx and who frequents Longwood/Hunts Point often. It is not a nice place to be.

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 12-13-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM
 
Location: QUEENS NYC
442 posts, read 1,230,047 times
Reputation: 277
i dont know about statistics, but i walk to the hunts point ave bus station every night from food center drive, and it feels fine to me. i mean you can tell its the bronx, but it never feels threatening
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,724 posts, read 18,937,093 times
Reputation: 2327
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
i dont know about statistics, but i walk to the hunts point ave bus station every night from food center drive, and it feels fine to me. i mean you can tell its the bronx, but it never feels threatening
Well, I know people who have family in the area and they tell me it's dangerous. My experiences have been similar. Although nothing has ever happened to me, I know if I stay there long enough, something will eventually happen. A few of my friends got jumped on Coster (heading towards Spofford) and another was robbed on Longfellow (or Bryant, not sure) but to be fair, I can name you crime victims from all over the Bronx.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top