U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM
 
Location: between here and there
1,031 posts, read 1,936,387 times
Reputation: 895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
With all the Yuppies taking over and genrification going on, is NYC losing its character?
Are you serious? Maybe you're seeing a transition going on and it's not the City some long-time residents remember but that's life; change happens. But NYC losing it's character and uniqueness? Not ever. It's a melting pot of such enormous proportions that "emptying" is impossible....people will come and people will go but NYC will always "be".......

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 07-12-2007 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 8,572,370 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Are you serious? Maybe you're seeing a transition going on and it's not the City some long-time residents remember but that's life; change happens. But NYC losing it's character and uniqueness? Not ever. It's a melting pot of such enormous proportions that "emptying" is impossible....people will come and people will go but NYC will always "be".......
Coney Island is a great example. It went from a nice, classic place to enjoy, now they have to turn it into some gay, fake, Disney Land type place. That place used to have character, I had some of the best times of my life there, but now they just totally ruin it and polish it up. New York is not meant to be polished, you leave it the way it is. I don't care if the population would be 7 million, we'd be the only "real" city in the country. We'd have the most character. I love New York, I'd die for this city, but we need to fight these damn yuppies before they buy out your apartment and push you out.

Here's a statement I found online:

"It is a sad day that New York is losing its character. We natives are constantly being pushed out by these greedy real estate developers who only tear down our cultural institutions to make way for uber-expensive condos that only the rich can afford.

There is plenty of housing in Manhattan, too bad none of us can afford it.

This city is turning into playground for the rich and pretty soon it will become just a vapid, corporate wasteland of duane reades...too late"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
 
332 posts, read 1,042,175 times
Reputation: 83
i just started reading this:

Amazon.com: The Suburbanization of New York: Is the World's Greatest City Becoming Just Another Town?: Books: Jerilou Hammett,Kingsley Hammett,M. Cooper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 PM
 
434 posts, read 1,082,618 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Coney Island is a great example. It went from a nice, classic place to enjoy, now they have to turn it into some gay, fake, Disney Land type place. That place used to have character, I had some of the best times of my life there, but now they just totally ruin it and polish it up. New York is not meant to be polished, you leave it the way it is. I don't care if the population would be 7 million, we'd be the only "real" city in the country. We'd have the most character. I love New York, I'd die for this city, but we need to fight these damn yuppies before they buy out your apartment and push you out.

Here's a statement I found online:

"It is a sad day that New York is losing its character. We natives are constantly being pushed out by these greedy real estate developers who only tear down our cultural institutions to make way for uber-expensive condos that only the rich can afford.

There is plenty of housing in Manhattan, too bad none of us can afford it.

This city is turning into playground for the rich and pretty soon it will become just a vapid, corporate wasteland of duane reades...too late"




Brutal New York - 1965/95 - SkyscraperCity


the link shows NYs unique "charatcher" from days past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM
 
52 posts, read 153,383 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
[img]
the link shows NYs unique "charatcher" from days past.
Great pics. I saw some of them before on a "guess the location" thread somewhere. Memories are indeed selective, but we both know we could go out right now and snap up 30 or so shots of Starbucks and Glass Condos to make the opposite argument.

My current favorite Yuppification is when new restaurants open but keep the old retail sign of the previous establishment. In Brooklyn "Liquors" on DeKalb ave is an example.

There is no doubt NYC has become and continues to become more generic. If you think a Brooklyn accent still authentically exists, please. In 20 years, the kids will be asking why Bugs Bunny talked funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 04:26 PM
 
1,536 posts, read 272,451 times
Reputation: -80
NYC has lost a lot of character over the years, mostly White neighborhoods which have disappeared.

Manhattan is pretty sterile south of E 96th/W 110th Street. The culture in Harlem has bogged down a lot since the new residents have appeared in certain sections.

The day Chinatown disappears I will be pissed, I think their language protects them.

Little Italy, is it still there?

The Lower East Side, basically it has all been pushed into the projects along the East River. The new LES is not the LES in any way shape or form. Of course the old White LES is completely gone. It went from poor White immigrant neighborhood, to complete Black/PR ghettto, to yuppy ripoff.

Same can be said for the outer boroughs.

Most of NYC is boring these days. You see the sights, okay. You can do basically everything you want to do in a vacation or 2. Everything else is overkill. Even break dancers in the subway are pushed back into the ghettos. People selling goods on tables banned from "high status" retail corridors.

Only major pluses are the amount of things, but you see one skyscraper you seen them all, you seen one store, you seen em all. You seen one show you can see another on tape. Most NYkers don't even have the time do enjoy the city the way yuppies think they will be able to.

Giulliani was on a power trip. The reduction in crime had more to do with the fall of crack then anything else. Law enforcement working all over the Americas to slow the flow. Education over time about the effects of the drug. The crime rates are still extremely high among New Yorks poorest migrants, the African Americans and Puerto Ricans. Nothing has really changed for them. It wasn't Whites getting killed off in record numbers in 1989, it was PR's and African Americans. It just got so bad "innocent" tourist were just starting to have to deal with our everyday dangerous, things like muggings and getting caught in something criminal. So once everything settled and the problems only started to effect the poor as usual, everything was declaired fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 04:26 PM
 
434 posts, read 1,082,618 times
Reputation: 141
/\ I'm going to be a billion dollars on three things:

a) You're white, really, really, really, ****ing white

b) You're liberal

c) You grew up in the suburbs

Did you actually read what the man was saying? You know, the high homicide rate and heroin addiction? I'm going to bet not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
 
1,536 posts, read 272,451 times
Reputation: -80
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
/\ I'm going to be a billion dollars on three things:

a) You're white, really, really, really, ****ing white

b) You're liberal

c) You grew up in the suburbs

Did you actually read what the man was saying? You know, the high homicide rate and heroin addiction? I'm going to bet not.
You do know people of color deal with high rates of homicide and heroin addiction today right? It went from really bad during the crack epidemic to just bad now.

For our people, especially our youth, the crime problems never disappeared. Yes a foriegn tourist is safer in Times Square. Less chance some crackhead from Harlem will wander down there to make a few easy bucks. Less people addicted to crack, and the police will litterally throw him out and into a cell. Zero tolerance for people like that in tourist areas. However there is still a significant amount of crime effecting the Black/Latino community.

Not that you even have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
1,766 posts, read 4,133,250 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Giulliani was on a power trip.
Damn, I thought Five-O's looooooved Rudy!

Damn, we agree on something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
 
1,536 posts, read 272,451 times
Reputation: -80
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Damn, I thought Five-O's looooooved Rudy!

Damn, we agree on something!
NYPD HATES rudy for his bull****. FDNY wants him to burn, check this out:

Rudy Giuliani Urban Legend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top