Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:37 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,704 times

Advertisements

no matter what the class, racial, or ethnic makeup, for the forseeable future nyc will keep its substantial density (about twice that of chicago). good or bad, that alone will have consequences that make it "unique" among cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
NYPD HATES rudy for his bull****. FDNY wants him to burn, check this out:

Rudy Giuliani Urban Legend
Thanks for the info.....but many of y'all voted for him cause y'all wanted so bad to vote out the "Washroom Attendant"!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Thanks for the info.....but many of y'all voted for him cause y'all wanted so bad to vote out the "Washroom Attendant"!
I think Dinkins really just came at a really bad time.

Once he was making a speech on how safe NYC was becoming, or some bull**** like that on a sunny afternoon in 1992 I think it was. Anyway he was in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. Next thing you know some drug dealers started having a big shootout with automatic weapons right behind him, his bodyguards dragged him out of there quick. Haha.

I think the top mayor which a lot of people liked in my lifetime was Koch. He set the wheels in motion for a lot of good things in NYC. I hear he was also a very nice man to meet.

Giuliani was a dirtbag and did nothing for the people of color. He took credit for whatever he could.

Bloomburg is on another planet.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I think Dinkins really just came at a really bad time.

Once he was making a speech on how safe NYC was becoming, or some bull**** like that on a sunny afternoon in 1992 I think it was. Anyway he was in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. Next thing you know some drug dealers started having a big shootout with automatic weapons right behind him, his bodyguards dragged him out of there quick. Haha.

I think the top mayor which a lot of people liked in my lifetime was Koch. He set the wheels in motion for a lot of good things in NYC. I hear he was also a very nice man to meet.

Giuliani was a dirtbag and did nothing for the people of color. He took credit for whatever he could.

Bloomburg is on another planet.
Don't tell Amsterdam News about nice Ed Koch was, with their weekly "Dump Koch" editorials!

Koch.....nice man, but a prick negotiator! Administration corruption and racial tensions doomed his mayoralty!

Dinkins....nice man, but too much tennis!

Guiliani....racist to the bone!

Bloomberg.....great city manager, but too much condo overkill!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 88,492 times
Going back to the original post,
to stop this process when old businesses (that represented uniquness of NYC) are closing down only to be replaced by a bank branch or K-Mart, is to look after San Francisco. In SF, they passed an ordinance prohibiting fast food places in certain areas, and non-local shops as well. Starbucks is not allowed to open its store if there is another starbucks within a certain distance. Commercialization ,if unchecked will eventually make NY a huge shopping mall like everywhere else. But we can vote with our dollars and not shop in Best Buy, or Walmart, and support stores that give back to community/ city

Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM

52 posts, read 217,840 times
I think Guliani was elected because he positioned himself as "tough on crime." After all, he was an AUSA and he courted all the police unions, fire union and really made a pitch that he was tough and serious. It worked.

Then the reality came, and it was the only time in HISTORY the PBA (and everyone else!) took 0's on their contracts.

The only mayor worse than Dinkins was Beame. Nice counts for something, but not when it comes to leading NYC.

Koch was very good to his cops and unions in general. The scandals never touched him- in fact, he funded DOI very well and gave them very strong investigative powers. Dinkins got caught up in a stock-transfer scheme involving his son; DOI initially investigated, and then the pink slips came in and the funding was cut. DOI hasn't recovered since.

Sorry Scat- I have to disagree!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abedenko View Post
Going back to the original post,
to stop this process when old businesses (that represented uniquness of NYC) are closing down only to be replaced by a bank branch or K-Mart, is to look after San Francisco. In SF, they passed an ordinance prohibiting fast food places in certain areas, and non-local shops as well. Starbucks is not allowed to open its store if there is another starbucks within a certain distance. Commercialization ,if unchecked will eventually make NY a huge shopping mall like everywhere else. But we can vote with our dollars and not shop in Best Buy, or Walmart, and support stores that give back to community/ city
Would that really help? I mean, SF is still a generic museum-like place despite any ordinances. I also have a suspicion that like it or not, this is just the way of things. Collective will dictates that Starbucks succeeds; NYC will continue to attract hipsters until a major sea-change occurs; if you are saavy enough to read the signs, you may be able to "see" what's coming.

A store that "gives back" to it's community provides crappy service and expensive goods. It's job is to sell goods. That's it. If the market won't bear it, then it receives some taxpayer funding. So you STILL pay for it.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,845 times
Okay.

Here's what none of you bring up:

Let's say the yuppies leave. Okay, problem solved. What do any of you plan to do to stop middle-class loss? How about AA and Rican crime rates? Schools?

There's maybe 200 posts total about those evil yuppies. 0 about how to make NYC real again. And 0 on how to combat the problems real NYers face.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Okay.

Here's what none of you bring up:

Let's say the yuppies leave. Okay, problem solved. What do any of you plan to do to stop middle-class loss? How about AA and Rican crime rates? Schools?

There's maybe 200 posts total about those evil yuppies. 0 about how to make NYC real again. And 0 on how to combat the problems real NYers face.
A) Lower taxes on high-tech manufacturing companies, shipping and Import/ trade/ trucking industries. Encourage trades on the HS level with a pathway to Union apprenticeship.

B) Empower and expand the DOL, NLRB and waterfront commission to police and enforce labor law.

C) Phase out NYCHA. Offer a housing benefit instead of pension for City Employees.

D) Term limits for ALL elected representatives.

E) Allow the local police to assist in the enforcement of Immigration law.

F) Non NYS residents who own property are taxed at a higher rate.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson99 View Post
A) Lower taxes on high-tech manufacturing companies, shipping and Import/ trade/ trucking industries. Encourage trades on the HS level with a pathway to Union apprenticeship.

B) Empower and expand the DOL, NLRB and waterfront commission to police and enforce labor law.

C) Phase out NYCHA. Offer a housing benefit instead of pension for City Employees.

D) Term limits for ALL elected representatives.

E) Allow the local police to assist in the enforcement of Immigration law.

F) Non NYS residents who own property are taxed at a higher rate.
I can dig lower taxes. Ditto phasing out NYCHA. But who's going to maintain the massive infastructure of the city? Surley you must not think you're going to get the public sector unions to lower their pay, right? HA! nice one.

How about:

-Make rent tax exempt

-Reinstitue neighborhood schools, let the animals stay in their home court.

-cut all taxes on buisness

-50/50 program. 50% for middle class workers. 50% fair market rate

-eliminate assanie zoning restrictions. Let the damn developers build.

-More police.

NYC needs a base of high income earners to stay afloat. That a fact. encourage people with real wealth to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City