Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,041 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've been looking for work in several cities, but New York is definitely my preference. Unfortunately, I seem to get the fewest responses from New York (even rejections) and have had absolutely no promising leads there, though I made it a bit further with potential jobs in a few cities. I live in Phoenix now and am dying to get out of here as soon as possible. I have an MA in English, so I'm looking for editing, copywriting, proofreading, writing, etc. type jobs, and find no shortage of relevant positions in New York. I've been thinking that my Arizona address is hurting me. I was wondering if anyone knows if this could be the case and if there's any way around it. I would be willing to move at my own expense and even fly out there for an in-person interview if they wanted it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,296 times
It cant be helping.
Get a NY PO box.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
Look at it this way. You and someone else (a lot of other people actually) have the same resume. They can start tomorrow, you need a month to relocate. Who would you hire?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 AM

66 posts, read 259,057 times
I just relocated to NYC from Chicago and ran into similar challenges. It is true that employers will tend to toss out resumes with out-of-state addresses-- the reality is that most hiring managers are looking for a way to narrow down the number of potential candidates and when they have no personal connection to you, they have no reason to give you the benefit of the doubt. What worked for me was to reach out to alumni from my grad school to tell them I was moving to the city. It took a little while, but I ended up hearing back for a few people, had some phone conversations, and ended up getting interviews through these connections. If you know someone, they'll want to find a a way to keep you in the running, rather than throw you out.

Another thing I did was set up a New York phone number through google voice, leave my address off the resume all together, and to indicate in my cover letter that I was "in the process of" relocating, instead of "planning to" or "willing to." I had to fly out to NYC on short notice, on my own expense for an interview, but I got a good job before making the move.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbudsky View Post
I just relocated to NYC from Chicago and ran into similar challenges. It is true that employers will tend to toss out resumes with out-of-state addresses-- the reality is that most hiring managers are looking for a way to narrow down the number of potential candidates and when they have no personal connection to you, they have no reason to give you the benefit of the doubt. What worked for me was to reach out to alumni from my grad school to tell them I was moving to the city. It took a little while, but I ended up hearing back for a few people, had some phone conversations, and ended up getting interviews through these connections. If you know someone, they'll want to find a a way to keep you in the running, rather than throw you out.

Another thing I did was set up a New York phone number through google voice, leave my address off the resume all together, and to indicate in my cover letter that I was "in the process of" relocating, instead of "planning to" or "willing to." I had to fly out to NYC on short notice, on my own expense for an interview, but I got a good job before making the move.
To my knowledge I don't know anyone living there... but I do leave my address off the resume for that reason (for all cities I'm looking in) and specifically label my phone as a mobile number. Unfortunately, I don't think I know anyone there who could help network

I do, however, state in my cover letter I "intend" to relocate there permanently, require no relocation assistance and am available to make my own arrangements to travel for an in-person interview.

I've thought about getting a job here that could let me transfer, but I know how hard that can be and it may just keep me stuck in Phoenix longer.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM

66 posts, read 259,057 times
I didn't know anyone in the city either.... I just contacted my grad school, attained a list of alumni, and sent a general email to everyone listed as having a NYC connection. I just said something like, "I'm a fellow graduate of [my school], currently working as a [gave an overview of my experience]. I'm hoping to relocate to NYC in the next few months and will be seeking a position as a [career goals]. I understand you live in the NYC area and I was hoping you might be willing to chat with me about what it is like to live and work in the city..." Most of the people ignored me, but a few responded, and one ended up leading me to my job. I was pretty surprised at how willing folks were to help.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
I spoke with an employer not to long ago and she told me she was more willing and likely to hire transplants and outer staters then locals.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,361 times
I own a business here that has gone through three rounds of hiring since I moved up here. In the beginning, I was looking to hire ONLY transplants. Now I won't even look at a resume from someone who isn't currently living in NYC.

Reasons:

1) If this doesn't work out, I don't want you to have moved to the most expensive city in North America for this job.
2) Not interested in breaking in someone into the NY style of work/living.
3) If you live in NJ/CT/not-NY, I have no interest in paying unemployment taxes in your state just because you don't live here.
4) Frankly, we have too many talented people in NYC already who are already trying to make rent and who are out of work. I don't need to import talent (financial services).

Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I own a business here that has gone through three rounds of hiring since I moved up here. In the beginning, I was looking to hire ONLY transplants. Now I won't even look at a resume from someone who isn't currently living in NYC.

Reasons:

1) If this doesn't work out, I don't want you to have moved to the most expensive city in North America for this job.
2) Not interested in breaking in someone into the NY style of work/living.
3) If you live in NJ/CT/not-NY, I have no interest in paying unemployment taxes in your state just because you don't live here.
4) Frankly, we have too many talented people in NYC already who are already trying to make rent and who are out of work. I don't need to import talent (financial services).
This is the way many employers in NYC feel. I recently moved back to NY and ran into this. It did not surprise me, but it is kind of irritating when you are more than qualified for the position, sometimes on everything they ask for and you have done everything in the job description, and employers throw your application away just because of your address.

I ended up using a NY address and then I started getting more phone calls. I did make it clear to employers that I was not in NY yet but that I was ready to go and only needed 2 weeks to start so that I could give my current employer notice. Once I did this I found a job pretty quickly. You cannot just omit your address all the time because sometimes you have to fill out online applications that require an address.

What you have to do is get ready now. I packed up a lot of the stuff we had while I was looking for a job, got rid of excess furniture, researched neighborhoods, etc. I flew in for interviews 2 times at my own expense. And when I got an offer I kept my promise and started in 2 weeks. But I repeat, this will not be doable if you do not plan ahead. I knew I was close to getting a job offer so I started packing even more, sped up the dump of extra furniture we could not take, got in contact with some brokers, got estimates from movers and truck rental companies, etc. And you need to have money in the bank- security deposit, 1st month rent, maybe pro-rated rent for the month you move in, money for flights, money for an apartment hunting trip, money to move, etc. Make sure you understand requirements for renting an apartment, have an idea of where you want to live, etc.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 AM

Thank you for the responses. I've had interviews/assessments for places out of state, just none in New York. I had a great interview in Boston a few weeks ago... but I think this address prevented me from getting any further. I have an apartment and can easily break the lease to move, and am ready and willing to move in a short time frame. I have plenty of money to make the move happen... I just can't seem to get an interview in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
This is the way many employers in NYC feel. I recently moved back to NY and ran into this. It did not surprise me, but it is kind of irritating when you are more than qualified for the position, sometimes on everything they ask for and you have done everything in the job description, and employers throw your application away just because of your address.
I was actually starting to doubt my qualifications earlier this year... but in the past couple weeks I recently picked up some freelance opportunities and the clients were quite happy with what I provided them, plus managed to get an article published in a national magazine... so I think it really is this address. I wish I could find employers that would take transplants. I'm in a good situation in that I can leave most of my stuff in Phoenix and start work pretty much within a couple days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City