Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 AM

221 posts, read 611,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As already mentioned the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the City of NY and the Brooklyn Museum all have suggested contributions instead of a fixed admission. So one can pay as little as one likes to enter them.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
lol I'm 19.... unfortunately that wont be happening

Well I'll bring 500 just in case I go over but I'm going to try and stick to 300. Also I've seen a ton of unlimited mta card available online on Craigslist, is it smart to buy one from there?
I would say at least $100 per day. If you do museums, many (like Natural History) have 'recommended admission prices' and they will accept amounts under that recommended amount. There is a lot to do that's free. And I've become an expert at making my meager dollar stretch. I think $300 for 4 days can be done, but it's better to have a little more (just in case).
Good Luck and enjoy.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM

146 posts, read 323,737 times
Yes, it can be done and it can be done easily. I average 30 weekend (2-3/4 days) trips every year - and have since 2007, and never one trip I recall where I even sniffed $300. Couch surfing, hostels, sleeping in airports.net are your friends. I do at least two of those every single trip (usually one night airport - the night I arrive since I usually arrive late on Thursday) and the rest in either hostel or couch surfing. I also do the following on every single trip: jazz bar (if one's available in the city), sporting event (doesn't matter which sport, but I try for the big ones first), museum (free), national park if there's one near the city (I have the $80 pass), sculpture garden OR botanical garden (free or generally < $10), culture (free), people watching (free), photography, nightlife (cheap unless you're looking to get drunk). There's just so much information about free activities on the web these days, you're really cheating yourself if you're spending a lot more than $300 for 4 paltry days.

And dude, you're 19, believe me when I say you won't develop expensive tastes and an affinity to blow money overnight in NYC. If you're within sight or smell of $300, you is a lost cause

BTW, I'm a very socially active, 27 year old male. If someone in my shoes in my demographic can do it, you can, too.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
I'm from a ginormous international city called Houston,
Hey we have a street here named Houston Street! But it's pronounced house-ton (rhymes with mouse-1), not like Houston, TX. Fyi

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,776 times
$300 is more than enough. Especially if the height his culinary journey is simply to go to Nathan's. If he's smart about what he can and can not do, then I see no reason why it can't be done on $300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: