Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 PM

365 posts, read 502,093 times

Advertisements

LittleJ, did you view a unit yet? Because I don't know why she would request money now...
As far as the parking lot goes, I've heard they are supposed to have one....where...I have no clue.
CsMom....I think you should take a trip to their offices. That's just me though. I'm very hands on

Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 9,753 times
Moneboo... Yes they showed me 6 different 2 bedrooms. I chose one of them and too hold it I had to give a money order.. The thing is that its not available till end August-September 1, 2011...

But my problem now is that they keep giving me different answers as to the parking lot. At the beginning, Sandra told me yes and that it was going to be $150/month. BUT now one says yes, the other says i dont know.. Without a parking lot, I wont be able to take it and get my dwpayment back... So frustrating...

Old 07-25-2011, 03:40 PM

317 posts, read 578,707 times
CsMom146.... I know its frustrating but you have to remember that when your dealing with these lotteries you arent guaranteed to get a letter calling you in for an interview. Even if your application was submitted before the application deadline it then becomes a waiting game with hopes that your application is chosen out of the hundreds of thosands that have applied right along with you. Remember..... there may be a total of 100 apartments in a particular building but they get tens of thousands of applications. So you tell me what are the odds that your application will be randomly selected? I've been applying to these lotteries for over 7 years before I was finally called for the apartment I'm in now. I've always felt that maybe they should at least send a letter to those that have applied to at least let them know that they have received their application, and tell them if whether or not they have been denied for some reason, or a response saying that they have been wait listed. I never agreed with the way they keep people in lmbo. What these management companies dont realize is that if they dont sent people some type of letter of acknowledgement that is what causes people to repeatedly bombard them with phone calles wondering about the status of their application. Either way its a waiting game for you. If they have yet to even sent you an interview letter than all you can do is wait with hopes your one of the lucky ones to get a letter in the mail. Best of luck!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:00 PM

CsMom146.... I know you also mentioned that with both you and your boyfriends income you meet the income guidelines for a 2 bedroom. What about the family size? Your income and family size has to coincide in order to be qualified. If you have the income guidelines check to make sure. Alot of people may have the income for a particular apartment but they get cancelled out because they lack the family size. Also since hes a cop I'm sure he gets plenty of overtime...therefore they do look at the overtime and count that. I dont think its fair but thats what they do. So even if he makes lets say 44k a year but his 2010 income tax states he made 60k because of all his overtime thats going to be a problem. They're going to calculate his income and yours and I'm sure you will be way over the income guidelines for a 2 bedroom. I dont want to rain on your parade I just want to share my past experiences with you so that your not blindsided. But it still never hurts to check and find out and if they call you in for an interview roll the dice and go.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Davenport View Post
CsMom146.... I know you also mentioned that with both you and your boyfriends income you meet the income guidelines for a 2 bedroom. What about the family size? Your income and family size has to coincide in order to be qualified. If you have the income guidelines check to make sure. Alot of people may have the income for a particular apartment but they get cancelled out because they lack the family size. Also since hes a cop I'm sure he gets plenty of overtime...therefore they do look at the overtime and count that. I dont think its fair but thats what they do. So even if he makes lets say 44k a year but his 2010 income tax states he made 60k because of all his overtime thats going to be a problem. They're going to calculate his income and yours and I'm sure you will be way over the income guidelines for a 2 bedroom. I dont want to rain on your parade I just want to share my past experiences with you so that your not blindsided. But it still never hurts to check and find out and if they call you in for an interview roll the dice and go.
Yeah, I checked the household size prior to applying and we have 3 members in our household. I went to their offices in Hoe avenue twice and both times they were closed. Ive called a thousands times and each time ive had to leave a message. I'm going to have to keep trying because I'm also very hands on and although they are lotteries I've known people that have gone into these new buildings with certain preferences and not by the actual lottery. I'm inlove with this development. Thanks though.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM

The number I have for Knickerbocker is 718-620-8903. Is that the same one you have? I also have the direct # for the woman that handled my file there and her # is 718-620-8901. Hope that helps any.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 AM

So...yesterday was Monday (as if you guys didn't know that)....I stuck to my words and didn't call over to Bruckner. But, this morning, I did...i spoke with Sandra without the wait and the hold. She said since the office closes early on Friday, she didn't recieve any responses from them. So today should be the day. We shall see...

Old 07-26-2011, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 9,753 times
They called me yesterday and finally confirmed the unit and floor #! They however, have no deadline for as to the parking.. That area is very secluded and dark at night.. It is not safe to be wandering around at night hoping to find a parking spot.

Moneboo... yea theres I think one unit that shows some of the water but its not actual "riverfront" view at all. Mostly the highway. The highter floor you choose, the higher away you will be from it..

Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 AM

That's what I figured Little J.
I really don't want to look out my window and see a bunch of cars and exhaust. Can you imagine if there was an accident, or really bad traffic?! It would be like you were on the highway!
So long as I'm high up, not looking at cars all day and can see something other than the Mitchell projects...i'm cool.
But, in any case, beggars can't be choosers. We'll just have to wait and see.
Which floor did you pick in any case LittleJ??

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 7,318 times
LittleJ,

What floor was the unit that had the view of the water. The model unit i was shown was on floors 4 & 6, and they had a partial view of the pedestrian walkway and quite a nice view of a park/field? when i looked down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery