Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 20,306 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I just moved to NYC from London - I was living there for the past five years, he is a native Londoner.

My main motivations for moving back to NYC were sunshine, family and (I believed) a better standard of living.

Now it has only been a few months, but he still can't find a job, and I'm starting to doubt my belief in "better standard of living", although the sunshine is definitely here!

Just curious to hear from folks who have lived in both places (i.e. USA and UK). I would consider moving back to the UK, but only outside of London (I think I'm more a country girl than a city girl after all). What do you think are the pros/cons of each city/country? Where can one make a happier home?

Your thoughts?

SA72
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
What part of London? What part of New York? What lifestyle? In the city proper, or the suburbs?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Stay in London--why miss out on the fun of throwing paint on the Prince of Wales's Rolls and shouting "Off with his head!"

NYC and London are both world-class cities! Surely it is a matter of personal taste.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM

tpk-nyc: Part of London = east london, a nice neighborhood, zone 4. Part of NYC = the bronx, a nice neighborhood, comparable to the one we lived in in London. Lifestyle is fairly homey. Enjoy getting out to the country at the weekend. Prefer driving to public transport. Soon to have children (hopefully) so need good schools. Perk of NYC is childcare by way of family... perk of London is childcare by way of humane maternity leave laws. ahhh!

Suburbs are fine, we aren't overly keen on the urban lifestyle and don't HAVE to have access to museums every weekend, etc.

thanks for the replies so far.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM

215 posts, read 519,623 times
If you prefer driving, why live in London or New York?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM

re:driving - I just mean that when given the choice we'd rather drive (unless parking is going to be impossible). But I guess the reason I wrote that was just to say that I don't need every convenience that the city has to offer. And also that I'd like to live somewhere where the prospect of finding a parking spot isn't going to make me anxious. So I guess that puts us in the suburbs. Which is fine, but still - suburbs where? NY or UK?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
For the love of God, I don't understand the logic behind people making such a massive move without securing a job

Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Hey Antlered Chamataka - I have a job, so we're not destitute. The motivations for moving back aren't purely financial (although, since hubby had a great job in London, and bad luck here so far, I guess part of me believes that he'd have an easier time of it back home again). But anyway, to address your concern - I have a job, it was part of the moving-to-NY-deal. I'm really just more interested in having a happy life. Maybe the location shouldn't matter. But right now, it's on my mind.
Cheers!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunangel72 View Post
Hey Antlered Chamataka - I have a job, so we're not destitute. The motivations for moving back aren't purely financial (although, since hubby had a great job in London, and bad luck here so far, I guess part of me believes that he'd have an easier time of it back home again). But anyway, to address your concern - I have a job, it was part of the moving-to-NY-deal. I'm really just more interested in having a happy life. Maybe the location shouldn't matter. But right now, it's on my mind.
Cheers!
Ok, great! NYC can be brutal for jobseekers who move here. Actually, it can be more than brutal given the current economic situation. Real estate is still through the roof and the city basically can shred money in every possible way

Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,684 times
It's an interesting question. Although I never lived in London and only visited it once, I liked it for the same reasons that I like New York (where I do live). Both are world-class cities; both have great public transportation systems. It seemed to me (and the locals confirmed it) that London has even fewer apartment buildings (a.k.a. blocks of flats) than New York (i.e. more Londoners than New Yorkers dwell in private houses). This was a surprise to me because I thought that private houses is more of an American thing.
As for which place is better for you, it depends on your own preferences and situation. Obviously, it makes more sense to reside in the country of your citizenship. But if one of you has American passport while the other has British one, then figure it out for yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City