Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 AM

12 posts, read 46,974 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC but i live in the west harlem area in manhattan. The rich area in NYC are upper east side, midtown and soho i know and i been around those areas. I know many rich and famous people live in manhattan but my question is how often do you see these famous people when walking outside?

For example, i read that Derek Jeter lives in the Trump Tower in 34th street i recall. Model Giselle Bundchen lives in soho or greenwich village i read. Thus Jeter lives in a those big buildings but Giselle lives in a townhouse?? My question is are regular people allowed to walk around their townhouse/apartment homes or is that private property? I don't mean walking around their home but like walking across that street etc to go somewhere. I read that in rich areas like in LA and Jupiter, Florida, there would be big gates which prevent strangers from walking even close to their homes but since Manhattan doesn't have any houses and just apartments/condos/townhouses, would that area be blocked?

I mean does someone who live 2-3 blocks away from Giselle for example might bump into her many times a week? When she leaves her home and goes to buy groceries or say the gym for example, are there paparazzis usually? The same with any other famous people who live in Manhattan. Because even though i go out in midtown and downtown a lot, i almost never see any celebrity. I don't understand why don't most celebrities with lot of money just live upstate NY in the hamptons where they can buy a mansion or LA and Florida etc. I mean manhattan is nice but you can't buy a HOUSE. Don't most people want a house and not an apartment?

And when you guys mean west village, greenwich soho etc, can you guys tell me what trains you guys are talking about? I'm assuming its the N/R trains. I never knew where the village is. What street is that around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 AM

71 posts, read 149,322 times
a) You're assuming that all these wealthy celebrities have only Manhattan apartments and no other property, which isn't always true. For example, Derek Jeter has a mansion in Florida.
b) No, there are no streets blocked off. First time I've ever heard that, though. Good laugh.
c) You'll be more likely to see celebrities in the wealthiest/trendiest areas, and it's a lot easier here for a famous person to just throw on a sweatshirt and shades and blend into a crowd. Most people here are too preoccupied with themselves to notice anyone that isn't directly interacting with them. I've seen dozens of famous people in Manhattan and people almost never bother them.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 AM

Yea i know most of them have homes in other places as well. I just meant that if they live in manhattan and walk around... it would be hard to not noticed them and i feel like they would get ppl taking pictures like those celebrities in LA.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:32 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
To the OP,

have you just recently moved to NYC, and/or are you an adult or young person?

Your perceptions seem to belie any familularity with NYC.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
To the OP,

have you just recently moved to NYC, and/or are you an adult or young person?

Your perceptions seem to belie any familularity with NYC.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 AM

jcoltrane, i was born in nyc and lived here my entire life. I'm in my mid 20s.

What do you mean belie any familuarity with NYC? I don't get your sentence. I'm pretty much always in manhattan though i live in west harlem. If i go out, its usually downtown or midtown but i never saw any celebrities except this one time i saw Will Ferrell but it was in midtown and there was a whole crowd there and police officers around him.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,941 times
LOL your from NY and your asking if people are allowed to walk around rich peoples townhouses?

your from ny but dont know how to get to soho? really?

Old 12-15-2010, 05:15 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
The thing is, celebrities are just like anyone else and most of the time, you can pass one by and not even realize who they are --- no makeup, no fancy clothing, etc.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,706 times
this guy is suspect...most likely living in kentucky considering moving to west harlem

Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 AM

138 posts, read 373,469 times
this is what i hate about certain people, they think nyc(soho, times square, greenwich village, chelsea) is/are full of celebs, not true, i've lived here my whole life and the only famous person(s) i've ever encountered were danielle the winner of america's next top model(she's not really that famous) and michael imperioli. that's about it. almost everyone here is too busy working to even pay attention to celebs. I've seen a few other celebs out and about but i just shrug and go about my business, i'd much rather honor a doctor who saves lives than someone who plays baseball and makes millions off of it, makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City