Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

The declines aren't necessarily/directly indicative of whites leaving, it is a decline in the percentage of the population. What does that mean? Well if the 2000 census had 5 whites, 3 hispanics, and 2 blacks, the white percentage is 50%, however in 2010 their may be 8 whites, 11 hispanics, and 9 blacks, which makes them 40% of the population, a decline of 10% but an actual increase in the population by 3.

This happens when new housing is built and whites stay put but others move into the area, causing a decrease in their percentage of the population although whites may be the same raw number or even higher than before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The declines aren't necessarily/directly indicative of whites leaving, it is a decline in the percentage of the population. What does that mean? Well if the 2000 census had 5 whites, 3 hispanics, and 2 blacks, the white percentage is 50%, however in 2010 their may be 8 whites, 11 hispanics, and 9 blacks, which makes them 40% of the population, a decline of 10% but an actual increase in the population by 3.

This happens when new housing is built and whites stay put but others move into the area, causing a decrease in their percentage of the population although whites may be the same raw number or even higher than before.
that makes sense.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
damn is Staten island going through white flight?

Most of North Staten Island has been full of blacks and hispanics since at least the 70's (I assume this is where you're looking). If you move more south on the Staten Island portion of the map it gets much whiter. It's funny though because whites are moving out of certain parts of the island, as I mentioned in a different thread.

What I especially like about this map is how many different little areas it's broken up into. There's a section of Graniteville that I always said had to be one of the more diverse slabs of the island and according to this map it's: 36% White, 30% Hispanic, 20% Black and 12% Asian.

Amen for technology.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
A lot of interesting stuff on these maps !
I scanned through Harlem and it appears as though it's still only about 10% white even though we hear so much about white gentrification,etc.There is no doubt that Harlem has been gentrifying but maybe it's more black middle class gentrification than people seem to think.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
.... There's a section of Graniteville that I always said had to be one of the more diverse slabs of the island and according to this map it's: 36% White, 30% Hispanic, 20% Black and 12% Asian.

Amen for technology.
Nice...really diverse..that's almost the same breakdown of my neighborhood in The Bronx.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
My census tract is one of the most hispanic at over 80%.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
My census tract is 87% Non-Hispanic White. I didn't think it was gonna be that high.

I noticed that there a census tract in the Upper East Side that has an average median income or around $225,000, and almost immediately above it in Harlem is one with an average of just over $21,000. Wow.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:56 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
and more whites than I thought also. The most southern district of the Bronx, Mott Haven/Port Morris south of the Deegan, is 24% white..that's a substantial number.
Why would you say that? I don't consider 230 white residents substantial. You do realize that there is only about 230 whites in that area?.If you look at the census numbers for that tract it was less than a 1000 people. The surrouding areas had census tract of 2000 or better and most of their white % were 3% to none. I don't really think 240 people would be a noticeable population in an urban area. My gf's apartment building has more people than that.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
1nevets the point is this: whether the population is 1 million or 1,000, the percentage would still be the same 25% which is the highest of anywhere south of the Cross Bronx, which is a substantial statistic, and 18%+ higher than 2000, which was also the highest increase of anywhere south of the Cross Bronx.

So although the raw numbers are lower than "your girlfriends apt building", the statistic is significant on many levels and supports the assertion that whites are beginning to repopulate portions of the extreme Southern Bronx closest to Manhattan. However, in the bigger picture the borough as a whole is becoming more Hispanic, less black, and the white population is declining, with some whites though increasing in the Southern
Bronx.

Another interesting stat: Census tract 77, adjacent to the 2/5 Prospect Av station, has not only the highest median HH income south of the Cross Bronx at around $53,000, but it also has the highest percentage of same sex couples (8%) of anywhere in the Bronx, anywhere north of 34th street in Manhattan, and all of Queens. Crazy! This tract is fascinating indeed.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 12-17-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
I live in tract 25, I found it pretty interesting. 3 percent white, 18 percent black and 78 percent hispanic. THe average income is 15,000 thats bad even though with all the recent changes in that area. THe reason why because many sick and the old relay on social security and SSI, many single mothers on welfare and eating up baby daddy child support, also many immigrants dont document thier income like the Mexicans on 138th street, also a population shift aswell with many Puerto Ricans from my hood leaving for greener pastures with Mexicans and Dominicans filling the void. 53 percent have highschool degrees, 5 percent have bachelors degree, lucky me, and 1 percent have masters, I guess everyone else dropped out. No unmarried same sex couples in my hood, but you never know.

For family distribution the govt should have added households only headed by a single mother which is very common these days in NYC and through out the country. Also they should have added different religious beliefs that people follow, and also male female sex ratio. They should also add the amount of people receiving government aide. Percentage of men and women who have been incarcerated. We could have got a better look on how these factors effect society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City