Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I agree, so are African Americans. Most of them have European ancestry as well as African. Wouldn't that make them mixed race?
Most African Americans dont have european ancestry, about 1 in every 3 African Americans have white in them and about 10% have Native American in them, I have to find the numbers but I remember this from channel 13 pbs documentary about Faces of America and African American lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
First, our amerindian is very low. So I don't have much pride in that.

I personally consider myself mulatto. But the afro-centrist make me wanna throw up with that Dominicans are black BS.
Theres nothing wrong with that I guess, not to walk with it in pride and stride but to respect your ancestry. Me I respect my ancestral past of Portuguese, African and Britannic linages.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
I think you have those numbers reversed. Black people love to claim Native American ancestry, but few of us have it compared to European ancestry. I mean come on, all you have to do is look at our wide range of hues to see the admixture.

But back to the census numbers, I just looked for the first time and my tract in Washington Heights is 69% white. I was in such denial about the numbers. 1% black? I hated being the only black kid in all of my classes in the 'burbs and I don't want my future kids to go through that. Guess we'll be heading to Brooklyn.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
The average AA is way more African than the average Dominican is African.

AA are what? maybe 10-15% European at best?

The average Dominican is atleast 30%.

But if you want to debate this, lets bring it to another thread.
which forum did you guys put the thread?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:39 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
which forum did you guys put the thread?
Did not make one yet. Where would it go though?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Did not make one yet. Where would it go though?
dont most people put racial threads in the political section?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Most African Americans dont have european ancestry, about 1 in every 3 African Americans have white in them and about 10% have Native American in them, I have to find the numbers but I remember this from channel 13 pbs documentary about Faces of America and African American lives.
Stick w/ the op topic please. If you want a response start a new thread.

I like the fact that the map extends all the nyc metro area.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
I went in there once and they were advising some poster to stay away from parts of Long Island because they were like 50% or more black and/or Hispanic even though the median household income in those areas were like $80k+. I was dumbfounded.

The other thing is they seemed oh so quick to say this area or that area has been "lost to the illegals" even though the area in question was like over 80% white, non-Hispanic, lol. People are just crazy. On Staten Island there's people who live on the South Shore of the island who talk about how "bad" this area or that area is becoming because Mexicans are moving in. Meanwhile those "bad" Mexicans never bother a soul. They ain't as extreme as the folks on the Long Island board but I'm sure there's people more extreme than the Long Islanders too. It probably just keeps progressing in stupidity until someone in a 98.8% white town Upstate is complaining about how the Asians have taken over because two Chinese restaurants have opened in the last 6 months and the white population has dropped .8% since the last census.
From your description they were talking about Wheatly Heights. It's ashame they try to demonize that place because residents who live there live in very nice homes and get a top notch education. What's wrong with having neighbors who aren't white? Keeper just recently closed a thread that was started by a Buppie who is planning to move on LI. The thread turned into a racist rant. On several threads I have been accused of being a white on white racist for defending "diverse" towns. It's a weird vibe at times in that forum. In the end however, LI is still the best place to live.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I think you have those numbers reversed. Black people love to claim Native American ancestry, but few of us have it compared to European ancestry. I mean come on, all you have to do is look at our wide range of hues to see the admixture.

But back to the census numbers, I just looked for the first time and my tract in Washington Heights is 69% white. I was in such denial about the numbers. 1% black? I hated being the only black kid in all of my classes in the 'burbs and I don't want my future kids to go through that. Guess we'll be heading to Brooklyn.
What was wrong with it? Did you receive a poor education or was it a rough school?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Actually, I received an education that got me into one of the most selective universities in the nation. But it was tough socially and developmentally to always be the outsider. To be the one who was the representative of the entire black experience during Black History Month. Also, I think my education would have been more well-rounded in a more diverse environment. For example, I had a World Cultures class in high school which covered South America, Asia, and Europe. When I asked my teacher why we didn't talk about Africa, she replied, "We don't have time for Africa."

It is very difficult to grow up in a culture where you are not only different, but the contributions of your people aren't deemed worthy of study. Yes, your parents and family can try to instill a since of history and pride and that you should be judged by your own actions. However, when the majority culture is constantly telling you that you come from nothing and are nothing, it makes it very hard to grow up and be something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City