Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 72,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
No, it is not rude. It is sensible and logical to wonder why someone would want to spent 2500K on a studio apartment.????

Trust me on this, I am also not jealous. I would never spend 2500 on a studio, you must be joking.

PS: While I do not live in a Mc Mansion, or a Park Avenue penthouse, I do own a 2 bedroom apartment, in Brooklyn that is co-op, and has been fully "paid off" for years already.

LOL, So you can cross the jealousy right off the list.
I don't want to live in Brooklyn.

I'm sure there are some people who live in Fort Lee who think that you are "retarded" to have paid whatever it is you paid for your 2 bedroom apartment.

But I assume you wouldn't want to live in Fort Lee.

See how that works?

And I think there's a difference between "wondering" why someone wants to do something and calling them "retarded" for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 PM

756 posts, read 2,272,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonyc1 View Post
And I think there's a difference between "wondering" why someone wants to do something and calling them "retarded" for doing so.
Exactly. It's not "retarded" to spend $2,500 on a cardboard box underneath the Brooklyn Bridge if someone has the means to and wants to.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM

18,371 posts, read 31,465,142 times
because you can live in brooklyn cheaper, save money and get to manhattan just as fast.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM

19 posts, read 72,638 times
Quote:
because you can live in brooklyn cheaper, save money and get to manhattan just as fast.
It's actually not true that you can get to Manhattan "just as fast" from Brooklyn as from Manhattan, as the time to get to Manhattan from Manhattan is zero point zero zero seconds.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM

756 posts, read 2,272,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonyc1 View Post
It's actually not true that you can get to Manhattan "just as fast" from Brooklyn as from Manhattan, as the time to get to Manhattan from Manhattan is zero point zero zero seconds.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,032,563 times
Quote:
You also forgot to factor in that someone wanting to live in Manhattan may suffer from a deflated ego when it is suggested to them that they could live in the outer boroughs, getting more space for their money.

Quote:
No, it is not rude. It is sensible and logical to wonder why someone would want to spent 2500K on a studio apartment.????

Trust me on this, I am also not jealous. I would never spend 2500 on a studio, you must be joking.

PS: While I do not live in a Mc Mansion, or a Park Avenue penthouse, I do own a 2 bedroom apartment, in Brooklyn that is co-op, and has been fully "paid off" for years already.

LOL, So you can cross the jealousy right off the list.
You and I think alike. I'll stick to living in my very large apartment, located in a very nice neighborhood in one of the outer boroughs and less than 10 minutes away from the city, for a reasonable monthly price. Meanwhile, some people continue to pay for outrageously overpriced shoebox-sized apartments just to say they live in the city.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,272,372 times
Many people have to work very long hours, and don't want the prospect of an hour+ commute in each direction, and are very happy to pay a premium for specific Manhattan neighborhoods. The OP is not asking for responses to validate her choices; rather, she is looking for specific information to help in a search. Please respect that we all make individual choices, and if everyone were to decide to live in another neighborhood, even in another borough, the rents/purchase prices would not be as low due to higher demand. Manhattan has high demand and high real estate prices, hence why the OP is within the right range for the search in Chelsea.

I agree that you can meet some good brokers on CL, but you really have to investigate them and interview them if you engage them in a search, so they don't waste your time. I am going to DM you the office of a brokerage in the neighborhood of whom I have heard good things, though have not directly dealt with them in Chelsea. Perhaps they can direct you to an agent in their practice who would be able to assist you in your search.

One thing to remember with brokers is that you are only obligated to them if they show you a particular apartment that you rent. Since you are realistic about the range of the studios, you should not have a problem retaining a good broker, which you might if you wanted the same sort of apartment for $1500/month as that's not common in today's Chelsea market.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 AM

18,371 posts, read 31,465,142 times
My point was to let the OP, that there are other options for enjoying Manhattan, and that you can get more for your money in the outer boroughs. Like another poster backed me up on that. But to each his own.

Working very long hours to pay for a shoe box apartment does not sound so great to me. I don't see anything deseriable about that.

But.......when you are young it is "kinda cute" to be in the middle of it "all" in the shoe box....but when you get to be my age..................It ain't

Ok, good luck to you.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 AM

215 posts, read 518,266 times
There are not too many 'nice' neighborhoods in outer boroughs. Brooklyn neighborhoods like Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights which are indeed nice have prices almost on Manhattan levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City