Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times

Advertisements

See what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM

138 posts, read 373,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
See what I mean?
that made me lol

Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
See....some of us New Yorkers are nice.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM

721 posts, read 1,210,663 times
I know the noise comes from that side of the wall. But I am not sure it's that apartment, or the apartment behind it. Where can I get a floor plan to make sure that I talk to the right party?

Once the front-desk talked to my next-door when I reported it to the front-desk. But my next-door insisted that they didn't turn on TV, although the noise disappeared after the intervention.

I expect them to be rude if I knock on their door, and they may ignore my request.

Will acoustic foam block the noise? I hope it's not too expensive. Thanks for the idea!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 PM

979 posts, read 4,456,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Good recommendation. I'll state the opposite. Don't do this.

Last time my cousin did this, the other tenants didn't like it too much and he got a 40oz smashed over his head.
how many people who drink 40 ozers have a front desk to call?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM

721 posts, read 1,210,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Maybe try leaving a note on the door of the neighbor? What about speaking to them?

If you speak them to be polite and ask them if they could keep it down because it's keeping you awake.
Thanks for the advice! I wrote a note and left it at her door. Let's hope that this will not happen again.

On another note, I plan to call police if this happens again.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
On another note, I plan to call police if this happens again.
Are you serious, or is there something here you're not telling us? It's a TV... your neighbor has the right to watch it whenever they please.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Are you serious, or is there something here you're not telling us? It's a TV... your neighbor has the right to watch it whenever they please.
No, you're wrong. Read below for the noise laws in NYC:

Quote:
Quiet Hours in all five boroughs of New York City, as specified in Local Law 113, are from 10 p.m. until 7 a.m. Reasonable noise levels are expected at all times.

The noise code states:

“It is hereby declared to be the public policy of the city to reduce the ambient sound level in the city, so as to preserve, protect and promote the public health, safety and welfare, and the peace and quiet of the inhabitants of the city, prevent injury to human, plant and animal life and property, foster the convenience and comfort of its inhabitants, and facilitate the enjoyment of the natural attractions of the city. It is the public policy of the city that every person is entitled to ambient sound levels that are not detrimental to life, health and enjoyment of his or her property. It is hereby declared that the making, creation or maintenance of excessive and unreasonable noises within the city affects and is a menace to public health, comfort, convenience, safety, welfare and the prosperity of the people of the city.”

The code goes on to say:

“No person shall make, continue or cause or permit to be made or continued any unreasonable noise … Unreasonable noise shall include but shall not be limited to sound, attributable to any device, that exceeds the following prohibited noise levels:

(1) Sound, other than impulsive sound, attributable to the source, measured at a level of 7 dB(A) or more above the ambient sound level at or after 10:00 p.m. and before 7:00 a.m., as measured at any point within a receiving property or as measured at a distance of 15 feet or more from the source on a public right-of-way.

(2)Sound, other than impulsive sound, attributable to the source, measured at a level of 10 dB(A) or more above the ambient sound level at or after 7:00 a.m. and before 10:00 p.m., as measured at any point within a receiving property or as measured at a distance of 15 feet or more from the source on a public right-of-way.”

See a summary of the noise code here: http://nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/noise_code_guide.pdf

And the full code here: http://nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/law05113.pdf

Source: nycquiethours.com

To the OP: it sounds like you're taking the appropriate steps. The next step would be to call 311 and submit a noise complaint which will be forwarded to the NYPD as a non-emergency call.

Last edited by Photography; 12-20-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Not sure if you are stabilized or not, (probably not) but unfortunately breaking a lease is probably not an option. Under stabilization rules which are more tenant freindly than leases written for the rest of us, it is considered a de minimus condition. Not constituting a loss of service.
Really?

What of one's right to "Quiet Enjoyment"?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Your neighbor does not have right to disturb your Quiet Enjoyment; or, more simpy, to disturb the peace.

Calling the Police is the correct thing to do.

1. You document the disturbance
2. More than likely you get the neighbor to quiet down; at least for the night.
3. You foestall any direct confrontation which is what the law requires you to do! Direct confrontation is precisely the job of the police!!

Putting the above aside, there's another technique. You can simply become a greater nuisance to your neighbor than she is to you. War of the blasting TVs!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: