Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:50 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

The New York City boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn are on the western edge of Long Island (you could consult a map). When people say they live on "Long Island", they mean Nassau or Suffolk counties, the former located outside Queens, the latter located after Nassau. The film "Simple Men" has a great piece of dialogue covering this. So if you are in Brooklyn or Queens, you are in New York City and also geographically on Long Island, but would not say you live on Long Island. Its seems contradictory, but just go with it.

Rockaway is a thin peninsula that is part of the borough of Queens, NYC. As for living there, the areas of Belle Harbor, Neponsit and Breezy Point, as was mentioned, are very nice and probably quite expensive. Rockaway Park is so-so. The eastern areas are no go, but that could be changing.

I spent a lot of time in Rockaway in my earlier life. The people are very hospitable once they know you. Otherwise they are a bit suspicious of outsiders, particularly non-whites. It helps to be Irish in Rockapulco. It is very hard to commute to the City as its surrounded by water on three sides. This probably enhances the insular attitude down there. Nonetheless, a good portion of it is very attractive and there is something special about beaches with sand dunes within New York City limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:39 PM

16 posts, read 203,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
Can I get some clarification on Rockaway Beach. It's on Long Island but it's considered part of Queen's? Is this correct? Long Island takes into account parts of Queen's?
Yes Queens and Brooklyn are on the island of Long Island. You can walk right over the boarder without crossing over bridges and such.

Eastern Far Rockaway is still terrible. They had to close down their public library because nobody used it. It has high crime. Very bad.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Hah, Rockapulco is only a term used by true Rockawayites!!

For anyone interested in the Rockaways... real estate, news or politics you can view the local paper here (if you are not a subscriber you will only be allowed to view the news of 2 weeks earlier):
Wave of Long Island - Front Page

Side note: For the very best frozen drinks in NYC you must visit Connolly's on Beach 95 St. It is a real life lifegaurd/surfer bar and they always have Pina Coladas & another frozen cocktail on tap. Enjoy!!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:57 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkerGal View Post
Yes Queens and Brooklyn are on the island of Long Island. You can walk right over the boarder without crossing over bridges and such.

Eastern Far Rockaway is still terrible. They had to close down their public library because nobody used it. It has high crime. Very bad.
the far rockaway library is still open...where did u get this info from? i live a few blocks away from it.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 144,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

The next big hurricane is expected to hit NYC very soon. Sometime in the next few decades. It will be a disaster since the city is not well prepaired, the shape of the coast strengthens the surge, and it will be underestimated. NYC is the 3rd city most likely city to be devistated by a hurricane. First was Maimi, which got hit really had back in the early 90's. Next was New Orleans, recently devestated. NYC is estimated to be next.

As for the Rockaways. Crime is a serious problem in the east half of the neighborhood. West side is so-so.
What are your thoughts on living in Sea Gate for about 6 months or less?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane427 View Post
What are your thoughts on living in Sea Gate for about 6 months or less?
Sea Gate is okay, yes there is a hurricane risk but I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on staying in an area for 30 years or more. The area outside Sea Gate is nasty though.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 AM

251 posts, read 1,312,257 times
I lived over on Beach 25th and Seagirt recently...I loved it. A bit of a hole but not too bad, reasonable rental. I never had any problem even coming home late...like 11-12 at nite, walked home by myself from the train and I am a white woman. Things shut down early so I think that helps. I loved being so close to the ocean and the boardwalk is great. If you look at the homicide map for NYC, more things happen bayside then ocean side. I have also heard that the area between Beach 44th to Beach 90th is on the bad side....mostly little thugs. Like I said, I never had any trouble.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 12,110 times
I believe the crime in Rockaway beach is highly dangerous. My friend went to 116st in rockaway with her friends for a fun night at the beach and ended up getting scared to death by a huge crew of guys with knives and guns and they told her theyll be lucky to make it out alive from there. And thankgod nothing happened to them because someone from the crew of boys stopped it and gave them a fair warning " get out now before something really bad happens"

Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitalive305 View Post
Yay or nay. Expensive?
Rockaways are a very nice place to live. As a few posters pointed out Western part of the peninsula is where the money is. Belle Harbor, Neponsit, and 2 private communities Roxbury and Breezy Pointe. IMO, The nicest beach within NYC. Longest boardwalk pre Sandy. Also with the new construction of Arverne By the sea even the eastern areas are becoming nicer compared to 10 years ago.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 AM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
At night the areas except Neponsit, Belle Harbor, some pockets of Bayswater(which remain very safe), can change dramatically. I NEVER heard of such criminal activity posted by Jazmile but I also rarely hear people going to the Rockaways for a "fun" night.

The areas around 116 all the way out to Rockaway Park can vary greatly in safety. For example around B90 it is fine with the Arvener by the Sea developments and older condos, yet some spots not far from Beach 116 or the projects Redfern and Hammels have shabby housing and aren't too safe at night.

Finally, Hurricane Sandy hit that area very hard, and a fair amount of residents were guarding their property from looters.

In the long run the Rockaways will improve quite a bit and some so-so areas become quite a bit more affluent due to the potential added costs to keep flood insurnace rates low on homes. But there is a risk of pushing out middle class and long-term homeowners who have takn good care of their properties. If NYC weren't so much in the hands of the developers and cracked down hard on poor construction, offered some reasonable tax break to homeowners I think the Rockaways might keep some of the good aspects of the community that have sustained well.

Basically, check the crime map and if you are going to hang out in the Rockaways into the eve, it will be most likely at a house party or a local place near the subway. During the day most areas are fine with the areas near the beach especially safe.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 07-29-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City