U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Bed-stuy/Clinton Hill
952 posts, read 1,386,573 times
Reputation: 472

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
SuperMario, forget that I am saying they are black..the color doesn't matter. How can you confirm that Dominicans are migrating to NYC in exactly the same way (proportionally) as they are represented in the island? For example, if only "white" Dominicans immigrated to NYC, and the proportions were 90% white, 5% black, and 5% indigenous, would you say that is representative of ALL Dominicans? The answer would be no. Or maybe Dominicans immigrants to Boston were 90% black, 5% indigenous, and 5% white, would that be representative of ALL Dominicans? The answer is no.

So my comment is: although those are the percentages for Dominicans in NYC, it does not mean that represents percentages for the population as a whole due to migration patterns (who is migrating to NYC specifically). The only way to answer that question is to have a statistically significant survey done on the whole population of the island and compare the NYC Dominican population. Maybe they are the same, but I suspect they will be different.
One thing I notice about Dominicans here in NY, a large portion of them tend to be from the Cibao region or Santiago which has more lighter skinned people than say the Southern regions like Barahona. From my perspective I see a larger proportion of darker skinned people on the island than I do in the States. I'm not saying my view is correct, but that is just my observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,097 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Haitians speak French a Romance language, why are they not Latin?
Their french is a broken french called creole it sounds different from actual french and they are latin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
 
686 posts, read 1,023,921 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domini View Post
Their french is a broken french called creole it sounds different from actual french and they are latin

They still don't speak a latin language, so no there not latin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Arizona (520)
199 posts, read 213,045 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domini View Post
Their french is a broken french called creole it sounds different from actual french and they are latin
It's more so a mesh language than a broken language. Haitian Creole is a mixture of West African/Congo languages and French.

When the slaves were brought to the Americas they formed these Creole languages as away to communicate. So in Creole you may hear French words within an African sentence structure. Or hear an Africa word with a French prefix.

Various types of Creole are spoken in Charleston, SC, Jamaica, Sierra Leon, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 3,109,378 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
They still don't speak a latin language, so no there not latin.
French is part of the Romance languages that stemmed from the Latin language. This includes Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. Although the average Haitian speaks Creole, officially French is the native language of Haiti. Where do you get your logic that they don't speak a Latin language?

BTW, I don't consider them Latin because Latinos are those western hempishere countries that official language is Portuguese or Spanish. Italians and the French have developed a culture that seems more closely related to Northen Europeans. The people of the Iberian peninsula are a bit more homogenous culturally, historically and how they colonized the Americas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,097 posts, read 11,820,729 times
Reputation: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
So mario you did the whole cheek swab analysis thing? How did they get the results? Ive been curious about doing something like that mainly to clear up how much native blood I have. I have some relatives with strong native features (paternal grandmother, and my deceased paternal great grandmother).
23andme, look it up. You basically spit in a tube. Do it, we want as many Dominicans as possible! BTW, what part of DR are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Bed-stuy/Clinton Hill
952 posts, read 1,386,573 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
French is part of the Romance languages that stemmed from the Latin language. This includes Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. Although the average Haitian speaks Creole, officially French is the native language of Haiti. Where do you get your logic that they don't speak a Latin language?

BTW, I don't consider them Latin because Latinos are those western hempishere countries that official language is Portuguese or Spanish. Italians and the French have developed a culture that seems more closely related to Northen Europeans. The people of the Iberian peninsula are a bit more homogenous culturally, historically and how they colonized the Americas.
THANK YOU, I'm Haitian and this is what I've been trying to explain on this board. Yes French is a romance/Latin language, but Latinos from the Western Hemisphere are stemmed from the Iberian languages and culture whereas France culturally is more Germanic. Haitians don't fall under that category, we have many similarities culturally but thats because of the
African/Native influence, thusly we aren't Latinos. But still gotta show love though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 05:20 PM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 3,109,378 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
THANK YOU, I'm Haitian and this is what I've been trying to explain on this board. Yes French is a romance/Latin language, but Latinos from the Western Hemisphere are stemmed from the Iberian languages and culture whereas France culturally is more Germanic. Haitians don't fall under that category, we have many similarities culturally but thats because of the
African/Native influence, thusly we aren't Latinos. But still gotta show love though.
I hope I helped but some people are very thick headed and won't recognize the obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Bed-stuy/Clinton Hill
952 posts, read 1,386,573 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I hope I helped but some people are very thick headed and won't recognize the obvious.
haha, your posts have been sharp lately. But I don't know how many people miss that simple point and don't realize the resemblence of Portuguese and Spanish in comparison to other Romance languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
7,902 posts, read 13,779,151 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
23andme, look it up. You basically spit in a tube. Do it, we want as many Dominicans as possible! BTW, what part of DR are you from?
My family is from the north, from a town in Puerto Plata. The name of the town is Imbert. What about you? Santiago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top