U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
 
686 posts, read 1,021,178 times
Reputation: 141

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Pretty funny how 1nevets automatically disqualified Dominicans because "they were too proud of being black".

Yeah they would seem to be the most obvious choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Maryland
17,361 posts, read 7,746,173 times
Reputation: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That 30% are blacks in the US that have white ancestry. This is true, 1 out of every 3 blacks in the US has some white ancestry. Whites Americans who have black ancestry is no way near that unless you include those of hispanic heritage who claim to be white. My girlfriend's family considers themselves white Hispanics.
About 10-20% of white Americans have at least one African ancestor. There was quite a bit of mixing in the early days of the country in particular in colonial Virginia. Of course there are the French/Spain rooted state of Louisiana where interracial relations had little social stigma.

The Hemming of Thomas Jefferson fame were described as essentially white by visitors. Which would mae sense since Sally Hemmings was 1/4 black her children an 1/8 Black. Many of them "passed" into the white community to have children with unsuspecting white partners.

If you scroll down on this link you'll come across a story from the NY Times about a Louisiana white woman who sued to the state to be reclassified as white. She was listed as black on records. She lost and the Supreme Court refused to hear the case. The state got rid of its rule anyway which was anyone 1/32 Black was considered Black.

The Study of Racialism • View topic - SUSIE GUILLORY PHIPPS CASE

Quote:
A Louisiana woman who the state contends is black has gone to court to have herself declared white, and that is but the short of it.

The story, a story as old as the country, has elements of anthropology and sociology special to this region, and its message, here in 1982 America, is that it is still far better to be white than black. Some New Orleans blacks are cheering the woman on.

Her name is Susie Guillory Phipps. She is a 48-year-old, blackhaired woman with big dark eyes, and she says she was flabbergasted and sickened to learn when she applied for a birth certificate five years ago that the state's Bureau of Vital Statistics had her down as ''colored.''

''I'm not light,'' she said, pointing to her face. ''I'm white.'' Traced Back 222 Years

So say thousands of Louisianians with Negroes in their ancestry, while thousands of others, blue-eyed and light as day, consider themselves black. In Mrs. Phipps's case, the state has traced her geneology back 222 years, to a black slave named Margarita, Mrs. Phipps's great-great-great-great grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 AM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 3,100,336 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Pretty funny how 1nevets automatically disqualified Dominicans because "they were too proud of being black".
I've read it on this board, from my personal observation and even from you. Dominicans do not see themselves as black. At the most they will accept having some black ancestry but that's about it.

Even my gf family who has siblings who look black to me consider themselves white Hispanics. I'm not going to rehash Dominicans views of being black but it's clear they have a very different view of the issue.

Anyway, I think I have my answer. I was told they were most likely Panamanians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 AM
 
686 posts, read 1,021,178 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I've read it on this board, from my personal observation and even from you. Dominicans do not see themselves as black. At the most they will accept having some black ancestry but that's about it.

Even my gf family who has siblings who look black to me consider themselves white Hispanics. I'm not going to rehash Dominicans views of being black but it's clear they have a very different view of the issue.

Anyway, I think I have my answer. I was told they were most likely Panamanians.

Could be afro panamanians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago
31 posts, read 94,091 times
Reputation: 31
I think Haitians should be considered Latino.

Last edited by James_Carmona; 02-19-2011 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,838 posts, read 6,859,890 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post
I think Haitians should be considered Latino.
No we prefer to be west indian. If haitians actually lived in latino areas then yea i guess but nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Chicago
31 posts, read 94,091 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
No we prefer to be west indian. If haitians actually lived in latino areas then yea i guess but nope.
I'm Puerto Rican and I honestly don't like being called Latino, because Latino is not a real thing, 20 years ago there was no such thing as Latino terminology. It really doesn't even exist outside the U.S. and Canada. If you go to Latin American countries and you say Latino they wouldn't know what you talking about.

Because every Latin American country is different country, different language, different linguistics, culture, tradition, heritage, race.

Latino is not a race, Latino is a terminology used to categorize people who come from Latin Speaking countries. There is a Latin country in Africa too, Equatorial New Guinea they also speak Spanish, and would be considered Latino.

Hatians are alot more closely related to Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, than to West Indies. The reasons are because, we share same Ancestry, and Heritage. Our Ancestries mixed and mingles throughout the years of French and Spanish rule. If you say that Puerto Ricans don't have French heritage than your wrong, because many many Puerto Ricans have French surnames. When Hispanola was taken by the French, many African slaves came to Puerto Rico because the Spanish offered them freedom, and free land. The Spanish wanted to create a population base in Puerto Rico, many of them were placed in Loiza which is really close to the El Morro. And when the slaves revolted in Haiti, many Europeans fled into Dominican Republic and into Puerto Rico. Throughout those years Puerto Ricans went to DR, Dominicans went to PR, both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans moved to Haiti, and some Haitians came into DR and PR.

Also another reason why you guys wouldn't be West Indian, is because when did they ever bring Indians into Haiti to work as slaves? I'm pretty sure they never did. Also you guys speak Creole a broken down French, well we speak a broken down Spanish too, alot of other Spanish speakers find it difficult to understand us. There are also some Puerto Ricans, and some Dominicans who speak Creole, just like there are some Haitians who are able to speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Bed-stuy/Clinton Hill
952 posts, read 1,381,524 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post
I'm Puerto Rican and I honestly don't like being called Latino, because Latino is not a real thing, 20 years ago there was no such thing as Latino terminology. It really doesn't even exist outside the U.S. and Canada. If you go to Latin American countries and you say Latino they wouldn't know what you talking about.

Because every Latin American country is different country, different language, different linguistics, culture, tradition, heritage, race.

Latino is not a race, Latino is a terminology used to categorize people who come from Latin Speaking countries. There is a Latin country in Africa too, Equatorial New Guinea they also speak Spanish, and would be considered Latino.

Hatians are alot more closely related to Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, than to West Indies. The reasons are because, we share same Ancestry, and Heritage. Our Ancestries mixed and mingles throughout the years of French and Spanish rule. If you say that Puerto Ricans don't have French heritage than your wrong, because many many Puerto Ricans have French surnames. When Hispanola was taken by the French, many African slaves came to Puerto Rico because the Spanish offered them freedom, and free land. The Spanish wanted to create a population base in Puerto Rico, many of them were placed in Loiza which is really close to the El Morro. And when the slaves revolted in Haiti, many Europeans fled into Dominican Republic and into Puerto Rico. Throughout those years Puerto Ricans went to DR, Dominicans went to PR, both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans moved to Haiti, and some Haitians came into DR and PR.

Also another reason why you guys wouldn't be West Indian, is because when did they ever bring Indians into Haiti to work as slaves? I'm pretty sure they never did. Also you guys speak Creole a broken down French, well we speak a broken down Spanish too, alot of other Spanish speakers find it difficult to understand us. There are also some Puerto Ricans, and some Dominicans who speak Creole, just like there are some Haitians who are able to speak Spanish.
You're right on many things, one thing you're leaving out is that we also went to Cuba, I still have family in Cuba till this day where 300,00+ people speak Creole. But also we do have strong West Indian (not actual Indian) influences. We have heavy influences from the Leeward Islands and Trinidad especially with regard to Calypso Ra-ra and the manner in which we celebrate events and carnival. We have influences from both Caribbean Latinos and West Indians, but we are also not the only French/Creole speaking island in the Caribbean; Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Martin, French Guiana and Martinique speak the same language as us and share the same cultural distinctions with both us and the English Speaking West Indian Countries, there's French West Indian and British West Indian. Those Islands are to us what Trinidad, Barbados, Grenada and Guyana are to Jamaica.

Furthermore many Trinidadians and Guyanese go to Venezuela as many Jamaicans and Bajans (Barbados) went to Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras. BTW, Reggaeton started in Panama because of the heavy Jamaican influence there. Many Jamaicans also traveled with Haitians to Cuba as well in large numbers in the 1920's. So being from the Caribbean many of our cultures overlap, especially considering the African and Taino influences in our cuisine and to some extent geneology. Be it Latino or West Indian all of the cultures in the Caribbean overlap one way or another, how many times have you seen Jamaicans eat something similar to your own cuisine? Does it make them Latino? Also all the islands except Barbados, were owned at one point and time by Spain, you will see Spanish names of towns in all the islands and many still have Spanish names, Grenada, Trinidad, Guadeloupe etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,838 posts, read 6,859,890 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post
I'm Puerto Rican and I honestly don't like being called Latino, because Latino is not a real thing, 20 years ago there was no such thing as Latino terminology. It really doesn't even exist outside the U.S. and Canada. If you go to Latin American countries and you say Latino they wouldn't know what you talking about.

Because every Latin American country is different country, different language, different linguistics, culture, tradition, heritage, race.

Latino is not a race, Latino is a terminology used to categorize people who come from Latin Speaking countries. There is a Latin country in Africa too, Equatorial New Guinea they also speak Spanish, and would be considered Latino.

Hatians are alot more closely related to Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, than to West Indies. The reasons are because, we share same Ancestry, and Heritage. Our Ancestries mixed and mingles throughout the years of French and Spanish rule. If you say that Puerto Ricans don't have French heritage than your wrong, because many many Puerto Ricans have French surnames. When Hispanola was taken by the French, many African slaves came to Puerto Rico because the Spanish offered them freedom, and free land. The Spanish wanted to create a population base in Puerto Rico, many of them were placed in Loiza which is really close to the El Morro. And when the slaves revolted in Haiti, many Europeans fled into Dominican Republic and into Puerto Rico. Throughout those years Puerto Ricans went to DR, Dominicans went to PR, both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans moved to Haiti, and some Haitians came into DR and PR.

Also another reason why you guys wouldn't be West Indian, is because when did they ever bring Indians into Haiti to work as slaves? I'm pretty sure they never did. Also you guys speak Creole a broken down French, well we speak a broken down Spanish too, alot of other Spanish speakers find it difficult to understand us. There are also some Puerto Ricans, and some Dominicans who speak Creole, just like there are some Haitians who are able to speak Spanish.
o no i never said you were wrong if that's what your implying? I know puerto ricans can have french names i have like 1 billion rican friends who have names that sound more french then my name lol.

But the reason we prefer to be west indian is because that's the group we fit into best. Aside from west indians we are close to Dominicans, Cubans and ricans like you say but for the most part you want see haitians in high numbers in Hispanic neighborhoods in nyc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Chicago
31 posts, read 94,091 times
Reputation: 31
Yeah your right about that though, I can't really remember last time I saw Haitian people in Dominican/Puerto Rica (or other latin) nieghborhood in New York.

Another thing I don't understand is why don't Dominicans and Puerto Ricans go to the Carribean Parade in Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top