Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post

Oh and no hatians are not latino, French is just a romance language regardless of it being somewhat influenced by Latin.
I'm confused by your statement. I agree that Italians and French are not Latins because their cultures are more Nothern European based. However, all four languages ( Portuguese, French, Spanish and Italian and also Romanian) are Latin based languages. It's the culture that doesn't make them Latinos not the language. Maybe you can clarify your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
First off Uruguay is only 4% black. Your wrong about Colombia and Venezuela, For the majority of the population both Indian and white ancestry Is dominate over african not exactly even, With Venezuelans being more triracial on average and Colombians being more Mestizo with slight afro admixture.
Admixture estimates for Caracas, Venezuela, based ... [Hum Biol. 2007] - PubMed result

Colombia is a Majority Mestizo country too, I've spoken with many Colombians who confirm this.

I read that the president of Venezuela is Afro-Latino. Is this true?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
most colombians in america dont live in the black regions. the thing is the black regions like both coast are heavily black while the interior is mostly mestizos but with large black minority. id say if u ask people from the pacific or atlantic they will give u a different answer. colombia is triracial as is venezuela. i guess if u ask a white in wyoming or a hispanic in california they will probably think there are few blacks in america. but if u ask a white in the south many will think the country is half black half white. i didnt even know america was majority white until i went to other states.

black in many of these countries means only close to pure african. most blacks in the americas are mixed. the best example i can give u would be the hispanic population in america. most hispanics in america are not white but its says on the census 50% are. some are white but not 50% especially as most hispanics are recent immigrants. also the black hispanic population is a lot higher than the census in the us would have one to believe.
I agee 100% Isn't Colombia over 20% black? That's higher than the US black population.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
The 'blackest' of the Latino groups I've seen, come from several Panamanians and Dominicans I have seen. Not the overall population of these 2 mentioned groups here in NYC which the majority of them appear to show many admixed traits, just those with stronger influences seem to be common amongst those groups.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I'm confused by your statement. I agree that Italians and French are not Latins because their cultures are more Nothern European based. However, all four languages ( Portuguese, French, Spanish and Italian and also Romanian) are Latin based languages. It's the culture that doesn't make them Latinos not the language. Maybe you can clarify your statement.
So french and italian cultures are more germanic and nordic and less latin based? Spanish,.french, italian, pirtugese cultures are similar.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM

149 posts, read 261,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I agee 100% Isn't Colombia over 20% black? That's higher than the US black population.

they have states (they call them department) that are like 70-75% black. they got that is 90% black. there is nothing like that in america. back in the day many southern states were mostly black but not since the great migration.
colombia has the largest afro-hispanic population and 3rd largest black population in the americas after brazil and the usa.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
most colombians in america dont live in the black regions. the thing is the black regions like both coast are heavily black while the interior is mostly mestizos but with large black minority. id say if u ask people from the pacific or atlantic they will give u a different answer. colombia is triracial as is venezuela. i guess if u ask a white in wyoming or a hispanic in california they will probably think there are few blacks in america. but if u ask a white in the south many will think the country is half black half white. i didnt even know america was majority white until i went to other states.

black in many of these countries means only close to pure african. most blacks in the americas are mixed. the best example i can give u would be the hispanic population in america. most hispanics in america are not white but its says on the census 50% are. some are white but not 50% especially as most hispanics are recent immigrants. also the black hispanic population is a lot higher than the census in the us would have one to believe.

First off no, Blacks make up a small minority in the interior of Colombia as do Mestizos on the coasts, Mestizos make up over 50% of Colombia, while Blacks, mulattos, zambos around 20% and whites around 20%.

Colombia is mostly mestizo period, not triracial as Venezuela.

And to Nevets Venezuelas president Hugo Chavez is triracial not exactly a afro latino.

Last edited by adirondackguy123; 02-08-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
First off no, Blacks make up a small minority in the interior of Colombia as do Mestizos on the coasts, Mestizos make up over 50% of Colombia, while Blacks, mulattos, zambos around 20% and whites around 20%.

Colombia is mostly mestizo period, not triracial as Venezuela.

And to Nevets Venezuelas president Hugo Chavez is triracial not exactly a afro latino.
Isn't triracial and afro latino the same thing? A person with any African heritage in Latin America is Afro-Latino. A person with only African ancestry in Latin America is probably less than 2%. Please define your meaning of Afro-Latino.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
they have states (they call them department) that are like 70-75% black. they got that is 90% black. there is nothing like that in america. back in the day many southern states were mostly black but not since the great migration.
colombia has the largest afro-hispanic population and 3rd largest black population in the americas after brazil and the usa.
It's interesting if blacks had stayed in Mississippi that would be a black majority state today. Think of politics in Mississippi today if blacks had the majority voice. Do you think it would have empowered them? Make that a desirable state for blacks to reside. Kinda like Atlanta with its upper middle class black enclaves. Atlanta and DC are very desirable black majority cities. How would it affect the US as a whole having a black majority state?

Which departments have black majorities in Colombia. Do blacks have a voice in politics there? Why don't blacks migrate to the US like their mestizo conterparts? Is the country that much of a paradise for them? Sorry for all the question but blacks in Colombia is like a hidden population. It's the opposite to blacks in the US who have forged a major voice in the world.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
It is unclear whether Blacks would be in power in Miss...just because they are the bulk of the population does not mean they have any political power. They can simply be marginalized....in NYC whites are the minority, yet who retains all the power? You think people of color are wielding any power of substance here and because they are the majority of the population it is a good place for them to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City