Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Actually, you all look black to us. The exceptions are Puerto Ricans and most Cubans and Guyanese who look like South Asians. I don't agree with what you're saying Mario. Each Carribean Island is very diverse when it comes to culture. Places like Guyana, Trinidad and many others have fused cultural apects of the three old world continents. DR seems mired in a faux Spanish culture with hints of West African. Other WI cultures have obvious ties to South Asian, West African, Northern Europe and even hints of East Asians culture. When it comes to culture (way of living) the Carribean is a melting pot, this includes DR as well. However there are other WI counties much more diverse culturally than DR.
Guyana is not an island. Much of guyana is a amozonian bush. Nowadays guyanese in guyana are saying they are south american. Only guyanese in america say they are west indian. Guyana culture never fused. The blacks in guyana rrpresent afro jamaican, afro american and recently afro brazilian cultures. East Indians in guyana rrpresent indo trinidadian and indian culture. Original afro guyanese culture ceased to exist or rare to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I dont think there is a middle class jamaican area, if any thing middle class jamaicans live around middle class african americans. Canarsie, st albans, cambria Heigths, williamsbridge, wakefield and coop city to some extent have large jamaicans populations but aas also live in these areas in huge numbers. Jamaicans have an advantagr over domincans and thats english. Many dominicans are poor and rely heavly on public assistance. Many single mother dominican women on section8 and many dominican men in jail for drugs. Go to west bronx oppsite washington heigths and see dominicans dealing and ddp ad3 on patrol. On the bright side dominicans make up the largest ethnic.student body of the cuny system. Lehman bcc and hostos is mostly dominican.
Actually, what they found to be a fact is that these middle class black areas in the city are mostly dominated by blacks fom the West Indies and not the traditionally AA. Traditional AA do better in well to do enclaves in DC and Atlanta. SE Queens is heavily Carribean. Middle class AA are more dominate in the suburbs. Places like Baldwin, Montclair and New Rochelle are dominated by traditional AA who are middle class.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Guyana is not an island. Much of guyana is a amozonian bush. Nowadays guyanese in guyana are saying they are south american. Only guyanese in america say they are west indian. Guyana culture never fused. The blacks in guyana rrpresent afro jamaican, afro american and recently afro brazilian cultures. East Indians in guyana rrpresent indo trinidadian and indian culture. Original afro guyanese culture ceased to exist or rare to find.
I didn't call it an island. It's a country that identifies with Carribean culture. Hispanola is an island, Haiti and DR are countries. See the difference.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
With almost 610,000+ Dominicans in the city of NYC, I can assure you, my dear friend, that the DR parade is talked about. That's not even mentioning the number of half Dominicans who attend. Let's not even get to the other Latinos who attend, especially Puerto Ricans. Again, the West Indian parade is not talked about outside of Brooklyn, and West Indians. Stop trying to gas it up, it's not that serious lol

Up here absolutely no one, ,the PR's, AA, Dominicans, etc give two craps about the W.I parade. Up here it's all about the DR and PR parades. You must be a comedian lol The DR parade is not popping? I suggest you go and then come back to me.

Reggae music is not worldwide. It is only heard in the West Indies. Dominican Music is heard throughout the east coast, we have various radio stations playing our music, and all of Latin America and Spain listens to DR music. Ask any latin America about what their favorite genre of music is, and I guarantee you bachata and merengue will come out their mouths. You can't tell me otherwise, I know this for a fact.

OK, you named one neighborhood, which I dont even believe is named after Jamaica (which btw has nothing to do with culture) and that is suppose to be more culture than the various DR stuff I mentioned? Dominicans have left their mark on this city, Jamaicans are not even a spec.

And BTW, every Latino wants the Dominican swagger. Which is why they all try to talk like us, dress like us, and hear our music. Shows you know nothing. Tell me why PR girls dont date PR guys, but rather Dominicans? lol
Smash dr and wi parades, those parades are dangerous, best parades in the city is the puerto rican day parade hands down. Wepaaaaa. Alot of other carribbean hispanics and haitian alike, even me from time to time rock a dominican swagger. Que lo que or ya tu sabe, or que diable. I have noticed many new generation prs playing and dancing merengue and bachata. In the next few years bronx borough president will be a dominican watch, wait and see.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
no like i said above Trinidad and Suriname are one of the most diverse nations in the world...your talking about mixes now? That again is not diversity nor is mixed race smh. No matter the skin tone they are all the same culture and people.You people only see yourselves as diverse in latin america but in america that is not what we call diversity.

supermario please stop making yourself look dumb i have heard white people even on city data using racial demographics against Dominicans and labeling you all in one category so no sorry homie but the white man would not see diversity while living in a dominican neighborhood. All he would see is a bunch of people blasting bachata, eating plantains chicken, and rice and speaking Spanish.

in fact theirs a thread on the nyc forum made a while ago where a irish girl wrote "dominicans ruined Inwood" so no your off.
This is one of the biggest reasons why I convinced my gf to move out of Soundview. The neighbors thought their apts were Salsa and Reggaeton clubs. The stench of oily overseasoned food in the hallways made me ill and attracted rodents. I didn't mind the Spanish speaking. I like to know what people are saying behind my back. I can now hold a conversation with her family.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
At the end of the day " I dont know, what part of The Labor Day parade is the largest attended parade in the nation, are we not understanding"

The west indian parade operates on a completely different level. The dominican parade is like barely better than the AA day parade lmao

P.S- AA dont do parades
LOL! It was on this board that I found out that there was an AA parade. Again, I have no idea when the Dominican parade starts. Heck, I know more about the Gay Pride parade than I do about the Dominican parade.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
This is one of the biggest reasons why I convinced my gf to move out of Soundview. The neighbors thought their apts were Salsa and Reggaeton clubs. The stench of oily overseasoned food in the hallways made me ill and attracted rodents. I didn't mind the Spanish speaking. I like to know what people are saying behind my back. I can now hold a conversation with her family.
In broken dominican english that good!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
In broken dominican english that good!
LOL! I still only speak on a 3rd grade level and I still get laughs at my pronunciation of words. I have 10 year old kids correcting me.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
LOL! I still only speak on a 3rd grade level and I still get laughs at my pronunciation of words. I have 10 year old kids correcting me.
Lol. Me too. My five year old niece corrects me everyday. I learned dominican culture, music, food, and phrases by attending bronx community college some years back. Sadly I forgot to dance bchata. I'm also forgetting how to speak spanish, I've been hanging out with white generic transplants and aas the past few years. The other day some old puerto rican got up set at me because I forgot how to speak spanish. He thought I was pr.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
Inevets I was with you until you said PRs and most Cubans look South East Asian. HUH? That's seriously crazy talk and questions your credibility on these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City