Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
!el payador!
have you read it?? how do u know about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Most have small afro populations because they didn't need to import slaves...they had plenty already there..the Indigenous population...which is why much of latin america is very mestizo/indigenous. The caribbean did not have that population, and they died out quickly, so the importation was necessary.

It's also interesting to note that Cuba and Puerto Rico were the last colonies "loyal" to the Spanish Crown, and had substantial influxes of Spanish loyalists as each Latin American country became independent (including French from New Orleans and Haiti surprisingly). As a result I find Puerto Ricans and Cubans to be more similar demographically, socially, culturally, etc than one would typically think.

Agreed, but PR does seem to have the most Indigenous ancestry in the carribean.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
have you read it?? how do u know about that?
Hangin' around, reading, living.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 7,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
I'm not trying to start anything and I have nothing against blacks. I'm just upset when jamaicans,haitians,and african try to say we are the same people. Maybe hondurans or panamanians because that is part of they background. You wont see any Dominicans at that parade and most dominicans hate brooklyn anyway.
Dominicans are pretty common in Brooklyn Hispanic neighborhoods, probably like the second or third largest latino group. The population isn't as strong as say the Bronx or Upper Manhattan but Dominicans are definitely a common ethnic group in brooklyn latino neighborhoods contrary to popular belief.

Last edited by Bonaoense; 06-04-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 14,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The Dominican Republic's definition of White is very different from the U.S's definition. I very much doubt that any of your Dominican family members would be considered White by American standards. Besides most so-called "White" Dominicans still have visible African features like wide noses, big lips, and or nappy hair which makes them look different from real White people.
How can you tell if you haven't seen any of his family members?

In DR those with strong African features such as big lips, wide nose, etc. are not called whites but jabaos. We use white as a color description but features weight as heavily as skin color at the hour of labelling a person.

This is white for our standards

http://www.purofutbolonline.com/uploaded_pictures/2208_5.jpg (broken link)

'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

This is jabao

Whites make around 10% of the population in DR but most don't migrate in a permanent basis. And when I say white Dominicans I mean southern european types, unmixed whites.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 PM

84 posts, read 249,962 times
You guys are right about Nuyoricans, I think they are the ones the mix the most with blacks. I have also met many Nuyoricans that claim to be Italian or Irish. Anybody know what is the highest interracial mix combination in NYC.

As for the question its probably Dominicans because Dominicans are like 73 % mulatto and like 16 % identify themselves as full black. I've always wondered why Dominicans have more African blood than PR. Slaves were brought to both countries. It probably has something to do with the illegal Haitian immigration and all of the blacks that fled to the Samana area.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
You guys are right about Nuyoricans, I think they are the ones the mix the most with blacks. I have also met many Nuyoricans that claim to be Italian or Irish. Anybody know what is the highest interracial mix combination in NYC.

As for the question its probably Dominicans because Dominicans are like 73 % mulatto and like 16 % identify themselves as full black. I've always wondered why Dominicans have more African blood than PR. Slaves were brought to both countries. It probably has something to do with the illegal Haitian immigration and all of the blacks that fled to the Samana area.
Basically, Puerto Rico went through a long period of whitening. Back in the mid 1800's, PR was mostly Mulatto and Black. I have plenty of posts on the subject here...don't feel like digging it up. Spain and later the US had a goal, and that goal was to make PR the whitest country in the carribean.

Google PR whitening.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post

This is real simple. During the mid 19th. Century the spanish colony of pr went through a process of whiting aswell as cuba. Irish potato famine and wars across the continent allowed spain to issue a decree to allow catholics from from ireland, france, portugal, spain itself and french controlled corsica home of Napoleon Bonaparte to immigrate to pr and cuba. Over time the European immigrants intermixed with mulatto diluted the african features of puerto ricans. I met many ricans with french and genoese last names. Former bronx Borough president fernando ferrer is a french puerto rican.

As for whats the higest mix interracial? I dont know. It could be anything. The most common i came across in nyc was half italian half irish, half black and half irish, half rican halg italian, half rican half black and half rican half dominican aka dominirican. I never really came across alot of half irish ricans in my life but om sure there is alot of it in nyc. I met all sorts of rican mixes, rican half arab, rican half serbs on pelham parkway, rican half egyptian, Rican half bangladeshi, rican half mexican, rican half german, rican halg jamaican, rican half colombian and my favorite half rican and guyanese which can be found in castle hill.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-11-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
SuperWario that's not true at all...

From Wikipedia however there are numerous sources for this information. Demographics of Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The first census by the United States in 1899 reported a population of 953,243 inhabitants, 61.8% of them classified as white, 31.9% as mixed, and 6.3% as black."

In regards to your "whitening" comment, there are 2 aspects to that. The first "whitening" that took place was in the 1800s, when Spain wanted to maintain control of its dwindling colonies. Spain wanted to send a wave of loyalists (Spanish as well as any European which swore an oath to Spain in order to get free land in the few remaining colonies). The few remaining colonies, namely Puerto Rico and Cuba, as a result, received waves of Europeans loyal to Spain...which is the "whitening" which occured. They also received waves of Spanish loyalist from recently independent colonies throughout South America (and French from Haiti and New Orleans for the same reasons).

The second "whitening", which SuperWario is probably referring to, is the socially constructed whitening, and by that I mean the definition of what white is...essentially making more people fall into the category even though they really don't. Hence more people define themselves as "white", and benefitting from whatever white priviledge you get from that inclusion. From 1910 onward, the US instituted this socialized "whitening" to make the island "white" (although it really isn't).

The 1899 Census is the most accurate census, because the "white" definition was strict and the "whitening" campaign did not occur until 1910.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Also, there are about 2 million Haitians living in the DR. That's close to 20% of the population. Not to mention the thousands (and probably millions) of legal Dominicans with Haitian descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City