Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
SuperMario...you are missing the point. It doesn't matter whether Dominicans from all over the island are migrating to NYC, what matter is WHICH Dominicans are migrating. We know that in Hispanic countries, the darker you are, the poorer you are (in general). Dominicans from all over the country may be migrating to DR, but if they are all the poorest/aka darkest, then that segment will be overrepresented in NYC, and NOT representative necessarily of Dominicans on the island.

So if you have the poorest/darkest Dominicans moving to NYC, they will have a much higher % of African and indigenous, and less European, which would not be representative of the Dominicans on the island. Get it now?
I repeat that is not the case in DR. We have blacks all over the place, what are you talking about? Light skin Dominicans move to the US too, it has nothing to do with race. If anything, the region with most light skin triracials are over represented because the largest pop in the country reside there. You can say it should be more Afro if anything, but again, we're not normal LA countries, blacks in our country hold position and power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
SuperMario, forget that I am saying they are black..the color doesn't matter. How can you confirm that Dominicans are migrating to NYC in exactly the same way (proportionally) as they are represented in the island? For example, if only "white" Dominicans immigrated to NYC, and the proportions were 90% white, 5% black, and 5% indigenous, would you say that is representative of ALL Dominicans? The answer would be no. Or maybe Dominicans immigrants to Boston were 90% black, 5% indigenous, and 5% white, would that be representative of ALL Dominicans? The answer is no.

So my comment is: although those are the percentages for Dominicans in NYC, it does not mean that represents percentages for the population as a whole due to migration patterns (who is migrating to NYC specifically). The only way to answer that question is to have a statistically significant survey done on the whole population of the island and compare the NYC Dominican population. Maybe they are the same, but I suspect they will be different.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
SuperMario, forget that I am saying they are black..the color doesn't matter. How can you confirm that Dominicans are migrating to NYC in exactly the same way (proportionally) as they are represented in the island? For example, if only "white" Dominicans immigrated to NYC, and the proportions were 90% white, 5% black, and 5% indigenous, would you say that is representative of ALL Dominicans? The answer would be no. Or maybe Dominicans immigrants to Boston were 90% black, 5% indigenous, and 5% white, would that be representative of ALL Dominicans? The answer is no.

So my comment is: although those are the percentages for Dominicans in NYC, it does not mean that represents percentages for the population as a whole due to migration patterns (who is migrating to NYC specifically). The only way to answer that question is to have a statistically significant survey done on the whole population of the island and compare the NYC Dominican population. Maybe they are the same, but I suspect they will be different.
I am suprised that you are on this late.

Anyways, the problem happens to be that different regions of the DR have different percentages. The northern interior (where I am from), have on average, more Euro-influenced people. In these campos, you can find un-mixed whites and light skin triracials (Santiago, La Vega, Moca). If you go to the north-eastern campos (where I am from), you have Zambo (African+Native) as the majority. The northwestern campos are a mixture. Now the southeast is mainy Zambos and Mulattos, the Capital city is diverse (leaning towards African), finally the east is new world blacks basically. So you really can't get a grasp of the country by doing this. This is why I prefer having people from different parts take a test and come up with an average. The average for regions are different. BTW, I believe that 46% Euro- 43% Afro - 11-Native is a perfect estimation of your average Dominican. Mulattos with a tint of native. You wouldn't agree?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times
[quote=King0fthehill;17709275]Yes, Colombia has a fairly large black/mulatto population that you almost never hear about. I visited this summer, and while blacks are visible in Bogotá, they absolutely dominate both Colombia's Pacific and Atlantic/Caribbean coastal regions. Cartagena is as big of a mulatto city I've seen, and places like Chocó are in upwards of 90% black. Here is a video containing typical-looking blacks native to Chocó and the Pacific region. And on that same note, here are some of my photos from Cartagena: prettyugly.: Cartagena . BTW, surely Venezuela has more blacks than Honduras, no? It is said that there are 5,000,000 (officially) blacks, and up to 7,000,000 in Venezuela.

Yeah afro minority which makes up around 20% of Colombia defianatley dominates the coasts but there not very common in the interior cities (Medellin, Manizales,Bogota).

Of course Venezuela has mre blacks than Honduras, There are very few blacks in Honduras only 2% of the population, theres also alot more mestizos in Venezuela than Honduras because it's a much larger country.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Yes, Colombia has a fairly large black/mulatto population that you almost never hear about. I visited this summer, and while blacks are visible in Bogotá, they absolutely dominate both Colombia's Pacific and Atlantic/Caribbean coastal regions. Cartagena is as big of a mulatto city I've seen, and places like Chocó are in upwards of 90% black. Here is a video containing typical-looking blacks native to Chocó and the Pacific region. And on that same note, here are some of my photos from Cartagena: prettyugly.: Cartagena . BTW, surely Venezuela has more blacks than Honduras, no? It is said that there are 5,000,000 (officially) blacks, and up to 7,000,000 in Venezuela.

Lots of Poles and Ukrainians in southern Brasil and northern Argentina, too. And lots of Basques in Argentina and Chile. Tons of Germans in all three countries; In Buenos Aires, German and Italian surnames are more common than Spanish ones.

Brasil, Colombia, and Cuba all have no shortages of mulattos/people of mixed African descent. In fact, there are easily more mixed Blacks than (relatively, of course) unmixed blacks in those countries. Haiti and the Anglo-Caribbean black countries have larger populations and percentages of unmixed blacks.
Where is the video? I'd like to see it.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Interesting results done on Hispanic-Americans in NYC. I believe these are the best sample groups because people from all over the country come to the US, therefore it represents more accurate results.

Genome-wide patterns of population structure and admixture among Latino populations - ForumBiodiversity.com » Anthropology Biodiversity Forum (ABF)

That is the genetics forum, you can find the information there. Here are the results:

PR: 57.5 European , 23.6 African, 18.9 Native
Colombia: 52 European, 11.7 African, 36.3 Native
DR: 46.8 European, 41.7 African, 11.5 Native
Mexico: 44.3 European, 5.6 African, 50.1 Native
Ecuador: 38.7 European, 7.3 African, 54 Native

My personal results were 63 European, 30 African, 7 Native.
So mario you did the whole cheek swab analysis thing? How did they get the results? Ive been curious about doing something like that mainly to clear up how much native blood I have. I have some relatives with strong native features (paternal grandmother, and my deceased paternal great grandmother).

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 02-04-2011 at 06:01 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I repeat that is not the case in DR. We have blacks all over the place, what are you talking about? Light skin Dominicans move to the US too, it has nothing to do with race. If anything, the region with most light skin triracials are over represented because the largest pop in the country reside there. You can say it should be more Afro if anything, but again, we're not normal LA countries, blacks in our country hold position and power.
I think, I may be wrong but I think what SoBro is trying to say is that the people who might have a stronger Euro lineage may not be migrating to the U.S as much so to not overgeneralize these stats because they might not paint the complete picture of the genetic makeup of DR. He might have a point. Hard to say without the actual stats to compare.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,282 times
Quote:

One thing I notice about Dominicans here in NY, a large portion of them tend to be from the Cibao region or Santiago which has more lighter skinned people than say the Southern regions like Barahona. From my perspective I see a larger proportion of darker skinned people on the island than I do in the States. I'm not saying my view is correct, but that is just my observation.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Haitians speak French a Romance language, why are they not Latin?
Their french is a broken french called creole it sounds different from actual french and they are latin

Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domini View Post
Their french is a broken french called creole it sounds different from actual french and they are latin

They still don't speak a latin language, so no there not latin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City